Default Trade agreements

On Thu, 15 Oct 2015 15:51:43 -0400, Keyser Söze
wrote:

I vaguely recall my dad saying the scrap he sold to the local guy ended
up in Pittsburgh. This was in the 1950s and 1960s and early 1970s. When
my dad died, the boat store had, literally, hundreds of parts bins where
new parts for engines dating back to the late 1940s were kept. Mostly
metal parts, but some electrical, some rubber, et cetera. A friend of
the family who was the owner of a New England boat accessories and parts
operation arranged for the sale of all this stuff to a handful of active
boat dealers in Connecticut and Rhode Island and my mother ended up with
a substantial check as the proceeds. Too bad there was no eBay back
then!

That was still when they made steel in Pittsburgh.

On Thu, 15 Oct 2015 13:05:38 -0400, Keyser Söze
wrote:

On 10/15/15 12:49 PM, Califbill wrote:
Mr. Luddite wrote:
I watched a report on MSNBC earlier today that blew my mind.

It focused on a port in California that handles 40 percent of
our import and export shipments to and from China.

First item of surprise:

60 percent of the containers loaded with merchandise imported from
China are returned to China ... empty.

But the biggest surprise is what we are exporting *to* China in huge
qualities.

Trash.

The report showed mountains of recyclable plastic bottles, cardboard,
scrap metal and other trash items that are loaded up and set to China.
China's workers recycle it, making insulated clothing items from the
plastic bottles and cardboard and items like smartphones from the scrap
aluminum and metals, then ship them back to the USA for sale back to us.

Back in the 50's we loaded our scrap steel on scrap ships, and they towed
them to Japan for processing. I guess we are to expensive to do do any
real labor. My dad's company did a lot of the work of cutting huge holes
in the decks of ships, which was filled with scrap and then welding the
deck section back in. As well,as welding the rudder straight and the prop
shaft from turning. Seems as will be even better economically for other
countries if we keep raising minimum wages.

We always had three small "dumpster" like containers behind the boat
shop, one for iron and steel, one for aluminum, and one for
brass-bronze-copper, and these were for the busted parts of boats,
motors, scooters, trailers, et cetera, and were "saved" for the monthly
pickup by a local scrap dealer, who would take them to his yard and then
send my dad a check for whatever the agreed-upon value per pound was.
These weren't the huge dumpsters you see nowadays, but maybe a third as
big. Pistons, blocks, drive shafts, broken "pot metal", busted props not
worth repairing, fasteners, control wires stripped out of their covers,
busted wheels. In those days, the scrap metal was then loaded onto rail
cars and shipped off to smelters in the USA to be reprocessed for
materials for new parts "made in the USA." I'm sure some of it was also
shipped to foreign countries.

I talked to one of the scrappers here and he said most of the sorted
scrap metal gets used in the US but mixed scrap is exported
I don't know how much that is actually true and whether it is just the
local disposition but it sounds reasonable. He gets the whole family
around and they take stuff like white goods apart, separating as much
of the high value stuff out as they can for the best price. He said
they could strip a washing machine down in 10 minutes, taking the
motors and solenoids apart for the copper, separating the aluminum
from the steel and getting rid of all the plastic. Most of it was just
working with a screw gun.

Mr. Luddite wrote:
[...]

That was not the case in the California shipping place. All the trash
was separated into neat bales of plastic bottles, cardboard and metals.
Large sections of metals had to be cut into 4 foot lengths and then
bundled before loading into containers for shipment to China.

Tim Tim is offline

Now metals are fed into huge shredders to fill export containers

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lXfitusZ9qY

On Thu, 15 Oct 2015 12:11:00 -0400, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

But the biggest surprise is what we are exporting *to* China in huge
qualities.

Trash.

===

It's good to know we still produce something of value. -

Better for it to go back to China in an otherwise empty container
rather than end up in a landfill here don't you think?

Trade In Keyser Söze General 5 September 28th 15 07:33 PM
Here we go...TRADE WAR!!! Tom Francis - SWSports General 13 September 19th 09 12:38 AM
More on Cap and Trade... Wizard of Woodstock General 1 July 15th 09 03:10 AM
Trade? Capt. Rob ASA 5 December 9th 05 10:18 PM
Looking for trade Duke-it Electronics 0 February 17th 04 09:44 PM