Default Shore Power Isolation Transformer

I've been looking for a suitable isolation transformer to solve the
pesky shore power issues with marinas in Caribbean ports. Typically
they offer 240 volt power with no neutral center tap, 50 Hz of course.
We also run into docks with overly sensitive ground fault interrupters
(GFIs). An isolation transformer can potentially solve both of those
problems. I just scored one like this on EBAY for $125:

http://www.zoro.com/acme-electric-export-transformer-5kva-120240v-wall-tf279263s/i/G2913784/?gclid=CNSH0ZvYxMgCFUqRHwodo9oBhg

It's good for 5 KVA which should be enough for one or two zones of air
conditioning plus the battery chargers and water heater. I'll build a
water tight box out of starboard and put US style 50 amp in/out
connectors on it. With some suitable pig tail adapters it should be
good for just about anywhere. A 10 KVA transformer would be better
but weight, size and cost issues are prohibitive.

wrote:
[...]

Seeing how small a Honda 3KW generator is, maybe you could get a small
240/50 motor and drive a 10kva alternator giving out 120/60. Might be
smaller and lighter overall.

On 10/15/2015 12:41 PM, Califbill wrote:
wrote:
[...]

How do you get 10 kva or even 5 kva out of a 3kw generator?

wrote:
[...]

With a flux capacitor from eBay, of course. Thought you were a
scientist!

wrote:
[...]

I was referring to physical size. Even with gas motor, whole unit is not
big, or heavy. Do not know how much cooling required if you put an
inverter in the unit for 10 kva.

wrote:
[...]

Flux capacitor gives time storage, not power storage.

On Thu, 15 Oct 2015 09:41:32 -0700, Califbill billnews wrote:

wrote:
[...]

A VFD might be a better solution than that kludge but the transformer
is reliable and simple.