[email protected] WayneBatrecdotboats@hotmail.com is offline

Default Shore Power Isolation Transformer

On Thu, 15 Oct 2015 18:37:11 -0400, wrote:

It's good for 5 KVA which should be enough for one or two zones of air
conditioning plus the battery chargers and water heater. I'll build a
water tight box out of starboard and put US style 50 amp in/out
connectors on it. With some suitable pig tail adapters it should be
good for just about anywhere. A 10 KVA transformer would be better
but weight, size and cost issues are prohibitive.

Seeing how small a Honda 3KW generator is, maybe you could get a small
240/50 motor and drive a 10kva alternator giving out 120/60. Might be
smaller and lighter overall.

A VFD might be a better solution than that kludge but the transformer
is reliable and simple.

===

A 3 KW on deck generator would not cut the mustard and would get us
tossed off the dock in no time at all. Even our relatively quiet
water cooled generators sound noisy at a marina, and they are also
noisy for sleeping.

Just about everything on the boat will run from 50 Hz power so
frequency is not really the issue.