Default On mass shootings... an answer

On 10/4/15 4:12 PM, Mr. Luddite wrote:
On 10/4/2015 3:42 PM, Califbill wrote:
Mr. Luddite wrote:
On 10/4/2015 12:47 PM, wrote:
On Sun, 4 Oct 2015 10:17:29 -0400, Keyser Söze wrote:

It's the Fretwell-Herring-W'hine-FlaTrash response, immortalized by
the
Onion. "We can't do nuttin' about this, honey!"

I put my opinion about this and it was lost in the noise.

We should be teaching everyone to FIGHT BACK.
If everyone in that room scattered and immediately started throwing
everything they could pick up, at the shooter, he would be too busy
ducking to shoot and they could take him down.

There is no down side. The ONLY way he can kill them all is if they
stand there patiently and wait their turn.

One unarmed guy tried to "fight back" in the latest shootings and he got
shot 7 times. Fortunately he survived.

I think more lives are saved by following protocol ... meaning
people move into a secure area, lock the door, shut off the lights and
stay quiet.

Example?

Airline hijacking. We have not really had one since the passengers
figured out they can fight back. If they had have acted sooner, they
would have saved the plane in Pennsylvania
The leaky TSA process really has little to do with it. (97% failure
rate on their own test)
The fact that the hijacker will be beat to a bloody pulp does.
These days if someone just gets a little frisky, passengers take him
down.

The reason is the same, this is not a robbery where giving up some
money will save you. You have to understand the guy is there to kill
you and the only chance you have is to be a hard target.

And most of the nine killed, were asked their religion and then shot.
Might be better off fighting back. If you get shot, you are more
likely to
survive, as he can not aim as well.

Yup. All those little kids at Sandy Hook shuda just thrown their copies
of "Dick, Jane and Sally" at the gunman.

This conversation is getting funny. A bunch of unarmed people are going
to ward off a guy with a large magazine, semi-automatic
by throwing books at him.

Boy, that will put terror in the heart of the next nutcase with a gun
who decides to make himself famous.

It would be even worse if they were armed...imagine the carnage as they
miss the "perp" and start shooting each other and kids in the next
classroom...

Mr. Luddite wrote:
On 10/4/2015 12:47 PM, wrote:
[...]

Would the Massachusetts laws stop you if you decided to go off the deep end and shoot
a bunch of school kids? No.
--

Ban idiots, not guns!

Mr. Luddite wrote:
On 10/4/2015 12:47 PM, wrote:
[...]

If the books hit, he will be dodging. Just going to stand there and wait
to be shot?

Mr. Luddite wrote:
On 10/4/2015 12:47 PM, wrote:
[...]

It is better than just standing there.
You also start changing the subject.
The targets of majority of these shootings are adults or damn close to
it.

The idea is just to disorient the guy and gain the edge that could
allow you to take him down.
If he really is there with a box fed SA and plenty of ammo, taking him
down is the only way this will stop.
Maybe you could learn something from fire ants.
It is no problem to stomp on hundreds of them, but once they decide to
attack you, a couple dozen can make you forget why you are there.

On Sun, 4 Oct 2015 14:58:36 -0400, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

On 10/4/2015 12:47 PM, wrote:
On Sun, 4 Oct 2015 10:17:29 -0400, Keyser Söze wrote:

It's the Fretwell-Herring-W'hine-FlaTrash response, immortalized by the
Onion. "We can't do nuttin' about this, honey!"

I put my opinion about this and it was lost in the noise.

We should be teaching everyone to FIGHT BACK.
If everyone in that room scattered and immediately started throwing
everything they could pick up, at the shooter, he would be too busy
ducking to shoot and they could take him down.

There is no down side. The ONLY way he can kill them all is if they
stand there patiently and wait their turn.

One unarmed guy tried to "fight back" in the latest shootings and he got
shot 7 times. Fortunately he survived.

Weren't we talking about mass shootings where gunmen were in a room
full of people and there was no chance that you could just cooperate
and get away.
How many times would he have been shot if he stood still and waited
his turn.

I think more lives are saved by following protocol ... meaning
people move into a secure area, lock the door, shut off the lights and
stay quiet.

Fine but what happens when the bad guy comes in that room and turns
the light back on?
Maybe you can't get to a secure area, you are all in the break room
with no door on it and light coming in from outside. Most modern LEED
buildings have plenty of natural light.

If everyone immediately started throwing **** at the gunman, he would
have to start thinking about ducking because the incoming might just
be a coffee cup or it might be a lap top charger "slung" from a 3'
cord. A pound or so, coming in at a few hundred feet per second is
going to leave a mark.
These guys are not specially trained SWAT guys, they are just
insecure losers for the most part and losing control of the situation,
even for a few seconds might be all it takes to stop them.

As I said, what would you have to lose?
It isn't a robbery, he is there to kill you.