Default Magazines...

My new little Ruger Mini-14 came with one magazine, a five-rounder, that
fits flush and completely inside the bottom of the rifle. I kind of like
that for a couple of reasons:

1. it tends to slow down the pace of shooting, at least for me, and
slower shooting tends to be more accurate, at least for me.

2. with no magazine protruding from the bottom of the rifle, when I bag
rest the firearm, there are many places along the stock that can be used
for that purpose without the bag and a magazine banging into each other.

Ruger apparently makes 5, 10, 20, and 30 round mags for these rifles.
The 10-rounders, I am told, are simply 20-rounders with a "stop" welded
inside so they cannot be converted to 20-rounders, and that makes the
10-rounders legal for sale in states where larger cap mags are
restricted (such as Maryland).

http://tinyurl.com/nrhurzr

I have a pair of 20-round mags for the rifle I legally bought at a
Virginia gun shop. Such are the vagaries of our state's laws...you can't
buy a 20-rounder here, but you can buy one out of state, bring it into
Maryland, and use it here. But if I buy any more mags, they'll be the
five-rounders. The way I see it, if I can't drop an attacking,
brain-dead, right-wing zombie with five rounds, 20 rounds won't do the
job, either.

On 9/28/2015 7:11 AM, Keyser Söze wrote:

[...]

Better hope that doesn't happen. Otherwise you will be charged with
premeditated murder.

On Mon, 28 Sep 2015 08:11:16 -0400, Keyser Söze wrote:

[...]

Gosh, and 6-8 months ago when I first started discussing them you thought they were
an inaccurate piece of crap. I suppose Ruger is making a better gun now, eh?

What a friggin' joke you are, Krause.
--

Ban idiots, not guns!

On 9/28/15 12:59 PM, John H. wrote:
[...]

They're pretty good and accurate enough for plinking from 50 to 100
yards or so, and they do a nice job on plastic two liter sodapop
bottles, not that you could hit one at those distances. Ruger doesn't
make "crap" firearms, as far as I know. I like my Mini 14 for a couple
of reasons, one of which is that it is lighter than most AR15s.

Weren't you the one whining that they were "too short" for your
orangutan-length arms?

wrote:

The 10-rounders, I am told, are simply 20-rounders with a "stop" welded
inside so they cannot be converted to 20-rounders, and that makes the
10-rounders legal for sale in states where larger cap mags are
restricted (such as Maryland).

There are several manufacturers of true 10 round mags.
Those you are talking about are simply "loophole" products that are
pretty easy to convert to 20s.
Typically they just weld an extension on the follower that will break
right off (they did on my M1A mags), or you can get a new follower.

My AR 20 mag has a rivet in the side to stop the follower. Plastic mag,
could probably just punch out the brass rivet.

Might be a delicate operation on a plastic magazine. Grinding the head
off and pushing the rivet out might be safer.

On 9/28/2015 1:55 PM, Keyser Söze wrote:
On 9/28/15 2:39 PM, John H. wrote:
On Mon, 28 Sep 2015 13:26:56 -0400, Keyser Söze wrote:

On 9/28/15 12:59 PM, John H. wrote:
[...]

Funny, assuming you're not telling another lie, one of our more astute
boaters said
to me a couple weeks ago, "Just watch, folks are talking about the
mini-14, Harry
will be buying one pretty soon."

You are so predictable, Krause. Even if it's just another lie, you're
predictable.

No, I wasn't putting down the rifle for any reason - you were. I've
never fired one.
--

Ban idiots, not guns!

Astute boaters in rec.boats is an oxymoron.

TDC

IPC's Marine Magazines Matt General 1 June 27th 07 02:36 AM
Boating magazines Jim General 38 June 29th 06 12:25 AM
Magazines Muzz UK Paddle 0 August 31st 05 06:55 PM
about sailing magazines Manlio Laschena General 13 March 21st 04 01:35 AM
Boating Magazines Boating Crew 0 September 17th 03 08:49 AM