BoatBanter.com

-   -   Crimes in Marinas and anchorages (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/1689-crimes-marinas-anchorages.html)

Sean October 21st 03 09:36 PM

Crimes in Marinas and anchorages

Deos anyone know if it's possible to get statistics on crimes
committed in anchorages or marinas in the NorthEast USA?

I'm assuming the Coast Guard is a generic place to start but does
anyone know of anything specific?

Thanks

Doug Kanter October 21st 03 10:22 PM

Crimes in Marinas and anchorages

The FBI collects stats on all sorts of crime. Maybe their web site's got
something. Or, your insurance company??? Unless your agent's a one-trick
pony, he might know who to call for that kind of info.

Pockets of Resistance October 21st 03 11:02 PM

On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 16:36:29 -0400, Sean none wrote:

Deos anyone know if it's possible to get statistics on crimes
committed in anchorages or marinas in the NorthEast USA?

The FBI collects all sorts of crime stats. Check their website.

Capt. Mooron October 21st 03 11:05 PM

Crimes in Marinas and anchorages

Why?.... you looking for easier pickin's?

CM

Gould 0738 October 21st 03 11:47 PM

Crimes in Marinas and anchorages

I'm continuously amazed that more stuff isn't ripped off from boats. Million
dollar boats with $8 padlocks? Very common.
$20,000 dinghies and outboards hanging from davits with *no* security at all.

Guess it goes to show that most boaters aren't thieves, and that the bad guys
do tend to rip off their own neighborhoods.

jps October 22nd 03 02:42 AM

"Gould 0738" wrote in message
I'm continuously amazed that more stuff isn't ripped off from boats.

Million
dollar boats with $8 padlocks? Very common.
$20,000 dinghies and outboards hanging from davits with *no* security at

all.

Guess it goes to show that most boaters aren't thieves, and that the bad

guys
do tend to rip off their own neighborhoods.

At the end of the season I left our bicycles on the back deck. The boat is
moored bow in so getting to the back deck requires going down the finger
pier. Nothing happened for a couple of months. This past weekend I was
visiting the boat with some friends to celebrate a birthday and, low and
behold, my wife's bike was gone. While it wasn't an expensive model, it's
still a ****er to have someone board your boat to help themselves to your
property.

Gfretwell October 22nd 03 02:57 AM

Crimes in Marinas and anchorages

I'm continuously amazed that more stuff isn't ripped off from boats. Million
dollar boats with $8 padlocks?

Dialing 911 is just one of the options.
If nobody saw anything, as a burglar likes to make it, they won't notice if the
burglar doesn't come back from the boat ride.

Capt. Mooron October 22nd 03 03:41 AM

Crimes in Marinas and anchorages

I guess you don't hang around City Marina.... I hear lots of stuff goes
missing there.
Didn't someone here once brag it only took them a minute or two to steal a
CQR one night?

CM

"Scott Vernon" wrote in message
| The biggest crime at most marinas is the nice sailboats that sit at the
dock
| and don't get sailed.
|
| Scotty
|

| "Capt. Mooron" wrote in message
| Why?.... you looking for easier pickin's?
|
| CM
| "Sean" none wrote in message
| | Deos anyone know if it's possible to get statistics on crimes
| | committed in anchorages or marinas in the NorthEast USA?
| |

Scott Vernon October 22nd 03 03:42 AM

Scott Vernon October 22nd 03 04:08 AM

Crimes in Marinas and anchorages

"Capt. Mooron" wrote ...
I guess you don't hang around City Marina....

No, I'm straight.

SV

Simple Simon October 22nd 03 01:52 PM

Crimes in Marinas and anchorages

Crime in anchorages is almost non-existant because folks
who live-aboard watch out for each other's stuff. This,
along with the open visibility of boats anchored or moored,
makes such things as burglary difficult without the perp
being caught and drowned. We live aboard yachtsmen can
and do take care of any problem with crime because the
police certainly won't. Case in point - there was a drug
dealer who moved in on a derelict vessel and the stream
of addicts coming and going to said vessel commenced
stealing things from boats they passed by in the middle
of the night. It wasn't long before this floating crack
house burned down to the waterline one afternoon.
when all the druggies were ashore. End of problem.
They got the hint and they certainly could not go to
the police about it.

Those who live ashore in a marina are generally a low
class sort who would be living in a trailer court if they
could afford it. There is always plenty of theft in
marinas. There always will be even in the high end
marinas because it is an easy area from which to steal.
Even crooks who live on the land often make their way
to the marinas for their thievery. Marinas charge huge
rates to tie up to a dock but don't spend a plug nickle
on any serious security. Theives know this. Often, it
turns out to be marina workers themselves doing the
stealing.

In Marsh Harbor in the Bahamas, there is a very real
problem with breaking, entering and theft from yachts
in marinas while one rarely, if ever, hears of theft from
anchored boats. Thieves go for the easy mark and stealing
from an anchored boat is often hazardous to their lives.
It just isn't so easy to run from the scene of the crime when
the crime is committed on the water.

S.Simon

Larry Hill October 22nd 03 03:04 PM

Crimes in Marinas and anchorages

Does anyone know if it's possible to get statistics on crimes
committed in anchorages or marinas in the NorthEast USA?

Having lived aboard for 12 years,I have noticed that just before Spring there
is a ration of thefts and also just before Fall the same. This happened at
marinas and housing with docks in my area.
Layy Hill

Doug Kanter October 22nd 03 03:08 PM

"Gould 0738" wrote in message
I'm continuously amazed that more stuff isn't ripped off from boats.

Million
dollar boats with $8 padlocks? Very common.
$20,000 dinghies and outboards hanging from davits with *no* security at

all.

Guess it goes to show that most boaters aren't thieves, and that the bad

guys
do tend to rip off their own neighborhoods.

A $20,000 dinghy? What are we talking about here - a woodworker's wet dream?
:-)

Gould 0738 October 22nd 03 04:40 PM

Crimes in Marinas and anchorages

A $20,000 dinghy? What are we talking about here - a woodworker's wet dream?
:-)

Check out the price of a fancy RIB with a
higher HP outboard. :-)

Doug Kanter October 22nd 03 04:45 PM

"Gould 0738" wrote in message
A $20,000 dinghy? What are we talking about here - a woodworker's wet

dream?
:-)

Check out the price of a fancy RIB with a
higher HP outboard. :-)

For boats which also have helicopter pads? :-)

Jeez...I've seen handmade custom Adirondack guide boats for a quarter of
that price, and they're absolutely gorgeous.

Butch Ammon October 22nd 03 06:18 PM

Crimes in Marinas and anchorages

Don't worry about the dockmaster, Worry aout the Captain's handgun!

Capt. Frank

Good one....

I know that the USCG carries M-16's below deck, and they also carry either the
new Beretta M92 9mm, or they still carry the old standard Springfield 1911 .45
(which I remember qualifying on during bootcamp back then).

Butch Ammon

Doug Kanter October 22nd 03 06:31 PM

"Butch Ammon" wrote in message
Don't worry about the dockmaster, Worry aout the Captain's handgun!

Capt. Frank

Good one....

I know that the USCG carries M-16's below deck, and they also carry either

the
new Beretta M92 9mm, or they still carry the old standard Springfield 1911

..45
(which I remember qualifying on during bootcamp back then).

Butch Ammon

Hopefully not the 9mm. Could the defense dept be so dumb as to make the CG
comply with NATO "ammo compatibility" rules, when they're most likely
targets will be terrorists or drug smugglers armed with much larger weapons?

Butch Ammon October 22nd 03 07:26 PM

Crimes in Marinas and anchorages

I know that the USCG carries M-16's below deck, and they also carry either
the
new Beretta M92 9mm, or they still carry the old standard Springfield 1911

.45
(which I remember qualifying on during bootcamp back then).

Butch Ammon

Hopefully not the 9mm. Could the defense dept be so dumb as to make the CG
comply with NATO "ammo compatibility" rules, when they're most likely
targets will be terrorists or drug smugglers armed with much larger weapons?

'fraid so.... The USCG phased out the legendary Springfield 1911 in favor of
the Beretta 9mm to be in compliance. Heck, I think *ALL* the services are now
carrying the 9mm! I think it was during mid/late 80's when the services did
that.

Butch Ammon

Doug Kanter October 22nd 03 07:32 PM

[...]

Hopefully they still have shotguns and a deck mounted goodie.

Gfretwell October 22nd 03 09:57 PM

Crimes in Marinas and anchorages

The USCG that boarded me near Ft Myers Beach Fl had a M16, a shotgun and M9
sidearms.

Wayne B October 22nd 03 10:17 PM

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message ...
A $20,000 dinghy? What are we talking about here - a woodworker's wet dream?
:-)

===============================

Not at all. It's not uncommon for a decent sized motor yacht to have
a 17 to 23 ft center console or RIB, powered by fair sized outboard.

Wayne.B October 23rd 03 12:49 AM

On 22 Oct 2003 20:57:45 GMT, reg (Gfretwell) wrote:
The USCG that boarded me near Ft Myers Beach Fl had a M16, a shotgun and M9
sidearms.

==========================

You're talking about my new back yard play area here. :-) What were
they looking for?

DownTime October 23rd 03 01:05 AM

Crimes in Marinas and anchorages

this is my home play area as well. been boarded in the Keys many times
during lobster season, but never in this area.

Gould 0738 October 23rd 03 01:24 AM

Crimes in Marinas and anchorages

any chance you are the same Wayne who sells Contenders?

What? Are the Democrats accepting bribes already? (Just Joking!! Really!!)

Gfretwell October 23rd 03 04:04 AM

Crimes in Marinas and anchorages

The USCG that boarded me near Ft Myers Beach Fl had a M16, a shotgun and M9
sidearms.

==========================

You're talking about my new back yard play area here. :-) What were
they looking for?

Damifino. It WAS about 2 AM on the beach at Lovers Key, just outside the BC
bridge. They came up on me, lights out, in the RIB and lit us up like daylight.
I assume they thought it was a drug deal or something. After shaking us out a
few minutes and telling me I couldn't get to the Estero river from there they
kicked us loose. Then followed us as far as they dared toward the river. I'm
not sure when they figured out my dog ****ed on their life jackets. Serves them
right for not having them on I guess ;-)
They did know they were "boarded" though and they tossed the dog back on my
boat before they kicked us.
BTW
Welcome to the Lee Island Coast!
check out http://hometown.aol.com/boatestero
Look at the links for the aerial photograph links. Print the 1999 pictures on a
black and white printer (laser is best) and they will help you get around the
back bays. The deeper water shows darker on there IR photos. They are around 8
meg and you can blow them up to a great level of detail without losing
resolution.
The pictures go back to 1944.

Wayne.B October 23rd 03 06:05 AM

On 23 Oct 2003 03:04:12 GMT, reg (Gfretwell) wrote:
BTW
Welcome to the Lee Island Coast!

=================================

Thanks. We're going to be in Cape Coral full time by mid to late
November.

Gfretwell October 23rd 03 06:28 AM

Crimes in Marinas and anchorages

Thanks. We're going to be in Cape Coral full time by mid to late
November.

Those aerials won't help you much then. They are just the Estero and San Carlos
bay. I assume it was someone's Master's thesis. They are on tthe FGCU web site.
They are still fun for "gee whiz" info about how this place has grown in the
last 60 years.

Capt. Frank Hopkins October 23rd 03 07:13 AM

Crimes in Marinas and anchorages

Hi Butch,

When out and about, I carry a Ruger Mini-14 stainless ranch rifle (.223
semi-auto) 2 40 round magazines and my P-90 .45 cal.

I had an alarm installed which dials my cell & home phone. It will
inform me of high water, loss of electrical power, fire, or break in. In
case of break in, the alarm box sounds the horns and a very piercing
siren in the cabin. All in all, it makes quite a ruckus. It cost about
$600 bucks but is, I think worth it.

Capt. Frank

Doug Kanter October 23rd 03 03:02 PM

Crimes in Marinas and anchorages

In rec.guns every now and then, someone says "....but whatever you do, don't
buy a mini-14". Meanwhile, there are millions of them out there owned by
people who seem to like them. Any trouble with yours?

hlink.net...

Butch Ammon October 23rd 03 04:39 PM

Crimes in Marinas and anchorages

Isn't the "mini-14" banned? Or is it the AR-15? I know that one of them is
banned on the Brady Bill or whatever law the Clinton's enabled or the senator
from CA named Diane Feinstein or whomever.

Butch Ammon

In rec.guns every now and then, someone says "....but whatever you do, don't
buy a mini-14". Meanwhile, there are millions of them out there owned by
people who seem to like them. Any trouble with yours?

thlink.net...

Doug Kanter October 23rd 03 04:52 PM

Crimes in Marinas and anchorages

I'm not well-versed on what's banned. But, at the risk of being totally
wrong: It's based on how many rounds the magazine will hold, and some
nonsense about whether the stock can be collapsed or something like that,
which would make it easier to conceal, in case the trunk of your car is only
18" in any direction. It's stupid. There are a handful of other definitions
for banned guns, none of which make much difference if you really want to
hurt someone. Look at those two guys who sniped all over Washington &
Maryland. They didn't need a banned gun. They could've done the same job
with a rifle that holds just one round at a time.

Gfretwell October 23rd 03 06:35 PM

Crimes in Marinas and anchorages

Isn't the "mini-14" banned? Or is it the AR-15?

Some models of the AR15 are banned. (new manufacture) as are some modifications
to a stock Mini14. It all depends on the features. A banned gun has TWO of the
laundry list of evil things. Bayonet lug, folding stock, flash hider,
detachable mag, pistol grip etc.
If you have a pre-ban gun you can still have and sell it everywhere except
D.C., Ca, Nj and perhaps some other states.

Doug Kanter October 23rd 03 06:43 PM

"Gfretwell" wrote in message
Isn't the "mini-14" banned? Or is it the AR-15?

Some models of the AR15 are banned. (new manufacture) as are some

modifications
to a stock Mini14. It all depends on the features. A banned gun has TWO of

the
laundry list of evil things. Bayonet lug, folding stock, flash hider,
detachable mag, pistol grip etc.
If you have a pre-ban gun you can still have and sell it everywhere except
D.C., Ca, Nj and perhaps some other states.

Bayonet lug. Now that's silly. I can buy a pitchfork, sharpen it up real
nice and do more damage.

Gfretwell October 23rd 03 09:14 PM

Crimes in Marinas and anchorages

Bayonet lug. Now that's silly. I can buy a pitchfork, sharpen it up real
nice and do more damage.

the whole "assault weapons ban" was dumb. It was just the perception of doing
something while calling attention to a class of weapons that were no particular
problem and making them an investment opportunity. After thae ban was announced
2 MILLION were sold, most from China, to people who don't have a clue why they
bought them or what they are going to do with them, since the market is
saturated.
If the gun haters had kept their mouth shut there would only have been a nich
market in these things.

Doug Kanter October 23rd 03 09:49 PM

"Gfretwell" wrote in message
Bayonet lug. Now that's silly. I can buy a pitchfork, sharpen it up real
nice and do more damage.

the whole "assault weapons ban" was dumb. It was just the perception of

doing
something while calling attention to a class of weapons that were no

particular
problem and making them an investment opportunity. After thae ban was

announced
2 MILLION were sold, most from China, to people who don't have a clue why

they
bought them or what they are going to do with them, since the market is
saturated.
If the gun haters had kept their mouth shut there would only have been a

nich
market in these things.

Last summer, a vendor at a gun show said he loved the ban. The value of his
pre-ban magazines quadrupled. Now he's able to buy more guns and have an
arsenal. :-)

Clams Canino October 23rd 03 09:52 PM

Crimes in Marinas and anchorages

/agree

The "ban" as it was worded really didn't do anything "functional". It only
made for making collectors and enthusiasts lives miserable having to deal
with minutia.

The only real parts of the weapon usefull for "killing more people" are big
magazines, and perhaps the flash supressor if it's dark out and you're
sniping. That said, if I was so disposed to dispatch someone - one bullet
would be enough, three if I wanted to "extra sure". I'm very glad those
Iraqi "snipers" can't shoot for ****.

That said, you couldn't make a magazine big enough for me. I'm lazy and
hate to re-load at the range. You pay for a booth by the hour and reloading
wastes time and money. My semi has two functional 10 round clips and a
broken 40 round clip that I might be able to fix. I *wish* I had four 50
round clips when I'm at the range though - hehe.

-W (way overdue for a trip to the range, now that I think of it)