Capt. Frank Hopkins

Default Crimes in Marinas and anchorages

Hi Butch,

When out and about, I carry a Ruger Mini-14 stainless ranch rifle (.223
semi-auto) 2 40 round magazines and my P-90 .45 cal.

I had an alarm installed which dials my cell & home phone. It will
inform me of high water, loss of electrical power, fire, or break in. In
case of break in, the alarm box sounds the horns and a very piercing
siren in the cabin. All in all, it makes quite a ruckus. It cost about
$600 bucks but is, I think worth it.

Capt. Frank

Butch Ammon wrote:

Don't worry about the dockmaster, Worry aout the Captain's handgun!

Capt. Frank

Good one....

I know that the USCG carries M-16's below deck, and they also carry either the
new Beretta M92 9mm, or they still carry the old standard Springfield 1911 .45
(which I remember qualifying on during bootcamp back then).

Butch Ammon

Capt. Frank Hopkins

Rush Linbaugh's drug stash of course!

Capt. Frank

Wayne.B wrote:

On 22 Oct 2003 20:57:45 GMT, reg (Gfretwell) wrote:

The USCG that boarded me near Ft Myers Beach Fl had a M16, a shotgun and M9
sidearms.

==========================

You're talking about my new back yard play area here. :-) What were
they looking for?

Doug Kanter

In rec.guns every now and then, someone says "....but whatever you do, don't
buy a mini-14". Meanwhile, there are millions of them out there owned by
people who seem to like them. Any trouble with yours?

hlink.net...

Butch Ammon wrote:

Don't worry about the dockmaster, Worry aout the Captain's handgun!

Capt. Frank

Good one....

I know that the USCG carries M-16's below deck, and they also carry

either the
new Beretta M92 9mm, or they still carry the old standard Springfield

1911 .45
(which I remember qualifying on during bootcamp back then).

Butch Ammon

Butch Ammon

Isn't the "mini-14" banned? Or is it the AR-15? I know that one of them is
banned on the Brady Bill or whatever law the Clinton's enabled or the senator
from CA named Diane Feinstein or whomever.

Butch Ammon

In rec.guns every now and then, someone says "....but whatever you do, don't
buy a mini-14". Meanwhile, there are millions of them out there owned by
people who seem to like them. Any trouble with yours?

"Capt. Frank Hopkins" wrote in message
thlink.net...
Hi Butch,

When out and about, I carry a Ruger Mini-14 stainless ranch rifle (.223
semi-auto) 2 40 round magazines and my P-90 .45 cal.

I had an alarm installed which dials my cell & home phone. It will
inform me of high water, loss of electrical power, fire, or break in. In
case of break in, the alarm box sounds the horns and a very piercing
siren in the cabin. All in all, it makes quite a ruckus. It cost about
$600 bucks but is, I think worth it.

Capt. Frank

Doug Kanter

I'm not well-versed on what's banned. But, at the risk of being totally
wrong: It's based on how many rounds the magazine will hold, and some
nonsense about whether the stock can be collapsed or something like that,
which would make it easier to conceal, in case the trunk of your car is only
18" in any direction. It's stupid. There are a handful of other definitions
for banned guns, none of which make much difference if you really want to
hurt someone. Look at those two guys who sniped all over Washington &
Maryland. They didn't need a banned gun. They could've done the same job
with a rifle that holds just one round at a time.

"Butch Ammon" wrote in message
[...]

Gfretwell

Isn't the "mini-14" banned? Or is it the AR-15?

Some models of the AR15 are banned. (new manufacture) as are some modifications
to a stock Mini14. It all depends on the features. A banned gun has TWO of the
laundry list of evil things. Bayonet lug, folding stock, flash hider,
detachable mag, pistol grip etc.
If you have a pre-ban gun you can still have and sell it everywhere except
D.C., Ca, Nj and perhaps some other states.
Doug Kanter

"Gfretwell" wrote in message
Isn't the "mini-14" banned? Or is it the AR-15?

Some models of the AR15 are banned. (new manufacture) as are some

modifications
to a stock Mini14. It all depends on the features. A banned gun has TWO of

the
laundry list of evil things. Bayonet lug, folding stock, flash hider,
detachable mag, pistol grip etc.
If you have a pre-ban gun you can still have and sell it everywhere except
D.C., Ca, Nj and perhaps some other states.

Bayonet lug. Now that's silly. I can buy a pitchfork, sharpen it up real
nice and do more damage.

Gfretwell

Bayonet lug. Now that's silly. I can buy a pitchfork, sharpen it up real
nice and do more damage.

the whole "assault weapons ban" was dumb. It was just the perception of doing
something while calling attention to a class of weapons that were no particular
problem and making them an investment opportunity. After thae ban was announced
2 MILLION were sold, most from China, to people who don't have a clue why they
bought them or what they are going to do with them, since the market is
saturated.
If the gun haters had kept their mouth shut there would only have been a nich
market in these things.
Doug Kanter

"Gfretwell" wrote in message
Bayonet lug. Now that's silly. I can buy a pitchfork, sharpen it up real
nice and do more damage.

the whole "assault weapons ban" was dumb. It was just the perception of

doing
something while calling attention to a class of weapons that were no

particular
problem and making them an investment opportunity. After thae ban was

announced
2 MILLION were sold, most from China, to people who don't have a clue why

they
bought them or what they are going to do with them, since the market is
saturated.
If the gun haters had kept their mouth shut there would only have been a

nich
market in these things.

Last summer, a vendor at a gun show said he loved the ban. The value of his
pre-ban magazines quadrupled. Now he's able to buy more guns and have an
arsenal. :-)

Clams Canino

/agree

The "ban" as it was worded really didn't do anything "functional". It only
made for making collectors and enthusiasts lives miserable having to deal
with minutia.

The only real parts of the weapon usefull for "killing more people" are big
magazines, and perhaps the flash supressor if it's dark out and you're
sniping. That said, if I was so disposed to dispatch someone - one bullet
would be enough, three if I wanted to "extra sure". I'm very glad those
Iraqi "snipers" can't shoot for ****.

That said, you couldn't make a magazine big enough for me. I'm lazy and
hate to re-load at the range. You pay for a booth by the hour and reloading
wastes time and money. My semi has two functional 10 round clips and a
broken 40 round clip that I might be able to fix. I *wish* I had four 50
round clips when I'm at the range though - hehe.

-W (way overdue for a trip to the range, now that I think of it)