Default **** happens

On Thu, 3 Sep 2015 17:13:23 -0400, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

On 9/3/2015 4:52 PM, wrote:
On Thu, 03 Sep 2015 15:22:24 -0500, Califbill billnews wrote:

wrote:
On Thu, 03 Sep 2015 12:29:47 -0400, Wayne.B
wrote:

On Thu, 03 Sep 2015 11:23:58 -0400,
wrote:

That is somewhat unusual up
there where you have good water but people in the Cape around Wayne's
place have had a lot of serious pin holing problems in copper pipe.

===

We turn off our water when we're away for any length of time but still
had our copper replaced with PVC after having one pinhole develop. The
plumbers around here do a lively business with PVC replacement and
they get to keep the copper as part of the deal. The theory du jour
is that the RO treatment plant changes the PH level of the water just
enough to make it corrosive. I never believed it until it happened to
us.

The other theories centered around the grade of the pipe and possible
electrolysis caused by improper grounding practices.
This has been going on around her for the 35 years I have been here.

They had the same deal in St Pete. One of the reasons I sold my condo
was the number of people who had their floors torn up to replace
leaking pipe. Mine wasn't done yet and I didn't want the issue to bite
me.

Probably not the use, but the heat.

More likely the water. Heat should not be much of an issue in air
conditioned space.

I took the "heat" reference to mean the hot water pipes being more prone
to developing leaks. A/C would have very little affect on
pipes buried in walls, plus the delta T difference is minimal.

I understand that but I am not sure it is only the hot water pipe that
fails.

John H. wrote:
On Thu, 03 Sep 2015 07:53:36 -0400, Wayne.B wrote:

On Thu, 03 Sep 2015 07:27:00 -0400, John H.
wrote:

We came home to a puddle in the basement the week before last. It has become a major
problem. Apparently a pinhole leak has been going for quite some time, maybe a year
or more. The sheetrock walls between the kitchen and powder room have been soaked.
There is also a lot of moisture under the tiles in the kitchen around the same areas.
The wall covering (sheetrock) will have to come down, along with the kitchen cabinets
on that side. Plus, the tile floor and tile above the counter will have to be taken
out. The entire kitchen floor will be retiled.

If that wasn't enough, the leak has also caused a lot of mold. If the mold under the
tile cannot be cleaned, then the subfloor will also have to be replaced.

So, that's where things stand now. We're waiting on the insurance to approve the
estimate for the mold removal.

But, the trip to Shenandoah River State Park was a blast. Floating down the
Shenandoah on a tube has got to be one of the most relaxing activities going.

===

Bad news John, sorry to hear that. Is it a pipe leak? It's really
important to stay ahead of the mold issue.

A pin hole leak:

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l2...s/P1010565.jpg

The mold issue is the big problem now. It's in the walls, behind the baseboard, and
most likely on the subfloor under the ceramic tile in the powder room and kitchen.
The moisture detector got readings through the tile. Most likely the tile and the
subfloor will need replacing. What a mess.
--

Ban idiots, not guns!

At least it wasn't a gas pipe!

On Thu, 03 Sep 2015 19:06:59 -0400, wrote:

On Thu, 3 Sep 2015 17:13:23 -0400, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Go read my last response to Luddite re what the plumber said.
--

Ban idiots, not guns!

wrote:

[...]

Hot water will act faster than cold water on the metal. If a little
corrosive, then the hot water will kick it up a notch.

wrote:
On Thu, 03 Sep 2015 13:38:14 -0500, Califbill billnews wrote:

And Harbor Freight has a 10" tile saw that will work well for home use. Is
about $170 with blade. Sign up and get a 20% off coupon. Cheaper than
renting.

Renting a real one is better than using a junker for a week.
We knew a guy in the business who let me use his spare. I only needed
it for a few days,.
On small projects I just use my grinder with a diamond blade. Dirty
but effective.

Actually works very well. I have cut a bunch of pavers with the saw over
the last year as well as doing a couple friends bathroom tile floors.
Needing a new blade these days. Have to cut a couple pavers later to
finish the patio job.

Who gives a shit? jps General 123 June 27th 11 07:13 PM
Shit happens. Lil' John General 31 July 22nd 09 01:56 AM
Holy shit... [email protected] General 12 May 7th 09 01:30 AM
Bob = Cat SHIT SkitchNYC ASA 3 July 19th 03 10:48 PM
Need to pump shit? Peggie Hall General 8 July 17th 03 12:31 AM