Default Carbon fiber prop

I got my spare prop today. It is one of those carbon fiber deals with
the replaceable blades. It seems to be a reasonable thing for a spare
but I notice it does not perform like the SS. I am running a 14x11 and
with the 11 blades, this thing hits the rev limiter before it gets to
top speed so it must be flattening out under load. I have a set of 13"
blades and if I ever have to put it on again I will try them.
I am dropping my prop off tomorrow.
The local Yamaha dealer will get it to Burris or I can take it myself.
I am just not sure how much of a carrying charge it is.
I am not sure I would drive to Cape Coral twice for $50 tho
The tuneup itself is $115,. I do think this one is smoother so I can
use the tune up although I can't really see anything seriously wrong
with it.
That is not really bad for a prop that has been about 4000 hours over
13 years and hit as much as this one has.

On Wed, 02 Sep 2015 07:26:39 -0400, Wayne.B
wrote:

On Wed, 02 Sep 2015 02:28:28 -0400, wrote:

[...]

===

You sound like a candidate for one of those jet drive conversions. We
saw some of them up in Alaska on the Chilkat River where the tour
boats go rock fishing all the time. They appeared to be bolt on units
that replaced the lower gears and prop.

http://www.jetboatalaska.com/

Jets are great when it is rocky, sand, not so much. I have no problem
with a SS prop. You also get far better low speed maneuvering with a
prop. I want that for poking around in the mangroves

wrote:

[...]

Sand is probably ok, but lose about 40% efficiency with an outboard pump.
They are made about 10 miles from where I live.
http://outboardjets.com
Last time I needed a prop fixed, I just put it in a Box and UPS the leg and
prop to my preferred fixer. Had a couple chips in the leg, and sketch, so
had that fixed at same time.

On Wed, 2 Sep 2015 07:27:01 -0500, Boating All Out
wrote:

Terrible traffic around and in Cape Coral.

===

Awful place, you should avoid it.

I have several trips on this carbon prop and, other than the
performance problems, it seems tougher than it looks.

The past few trips have be at low tide so it has smacked the bottom a
few times, one or twice, pretty hard.
I still want to get my SS back on.

A new question. Has anyone seen a mercury sized prop nut with the
Yamaha threads?
I really want to get rid of that stupid cotter pin and use the Merc
tab washer. I am using the washer anyway but the nut is too small to
engage the recess.

wrote:
I have several trips on this carbon prop and, other than the
performance problems, it seems tougher than it looks.

The past few trips have be at low tide so it has smacked the bottom a
few times, one or twice, pretty hard.
I still want to get my SS back on.

A new question. Has anyone seen a mercury sized prop nut with the
Yamaha threads?
I really want to get rid of that stupid cotter pin and use the Merc
tab washer. I am using the washer anyway but the nut is too small to
engage the recess.

You can buy tab washers in different sizes.

On Sun, 06 Sep 2015 12:37:54 -0500, Califbill billnews wrote:

wrote:
I have several trips on this carbon prop and, other than the
performance problems, it seems tougher than it looks.

The past few trips have be at low tide so it has smacked the bottom a
few times, one or twice, pretty hard.
I still want to get my SS back on.

A new question. Has anyone seen a mercury sized prop nut with the
Yamaha threads?
I really want to get rid of that stupid cotter pin and use the Merc
tab washer. I am using the washer anyway but the nut is too small to
engage the recess.

You can buy tab washers in different sizes.

Good idea, maybe I was just going the wrong way.

wrote:
I have several trips on this carbon prop and, other than the
performance problems, it seems tougher than it looks.

The past few trips have be at low tide so it has smacked the bottom a
few times, one or twice, pretty hard.
I still want to get my SS back on.

A new question. Has anyone seen a mercury sized prop nut with the
Yamaha threads?
I really want to get rid of that stupid cotter pin and use the Merc
tab washer. I am using the washer anyway but the nut is too small to
engage the recess.

Sorry read the want wrong. Just figure out what size metric threads and
get a nut with a bigger outside.

Finishing Carbon Fiber grafgulch Boat Building 8 August 31st 07 05:29 PM
Doug's Carbon Fiber Wonder Joe ASA 31 November 29th 06 05:27 PM
carbon fiber paddle [email protected] General 3 August 28th 06 04:26 AM
Carbon Fiber Marc Reeves Boat Building 13 April 13th 06 10:08 PM
FS: Carbon Fiber Paddle John Kuthe Touring 19 July 29th 03 05:27 PM