posted to alt.sailing.asa
Joe Joe is offline

Default Doug's Carbon Fiber Wonder

Hoping to get a glance at a finished picture.

Are you finished yet Doug?

Joe

posted to alt.sailing.asa
DSK DSK is offline

Joe wrote:

Hoping to get a glance at a finished picture.

Are you finished yet Doug?

No. Don't be impatient. Did you used to bug your mother to
lick the spoon when she was making a cake? Well trust me,
you don't want to do that with epoxy!

I just sent some pics to Bart, maybe he can post them. Right
now I have it wrapped up in plastic & clamps waiting for
some new laminations to set up. Tomorrow I will try to get
some pics.

BTW just before taking the pics I sent to Bart, a neighbor &
I tested the strength of the newly installed center thwart.
2 men jumping up and down on it, no cracking or crunching
and very very little flex.

Could you do that in steel, and keep the weight down enough
to carry with one hand?

Fresh Breezes (or fresh epoxy)- Doug King

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Joe Joe is offline

DSK wrote:
Joe wrote:

Hoping to get a glance at a finished picture.

Could you do that in steel, and keep the weight down enough
to carry with one hand?

Yes with ease.

Joe
]

Fresh Breezes (or fresh epoxy)- Doug King

posted to alt.sailing.asa
DSK DSK is offline

Could you do that in steel, and keep the weight down enough
to carry with one hand?

Joe wrote:
Yes with ease.

Prove it

DSK

posted to alt.sailing.asa
DSK DSK is offline

Joe wrote:

Hoping to get a glance at a finished picture.

Are you finished yet Doug?

Pic from this morning
http://sports.webshots.com/photo/261...35692614eOakGw

Here is the most recent pic
http://sports.webshots.com/photo/266...35692614wfZuXl

The stern sheets (seat) is not finished & installed
structurally. The center thwart is not totally finished yet
but does have the knees tabbed in (last night's epoxy job).
The gunwhales are not finished yet and are tremendously
strong, you can lift the boat from any point (and drop it
too, ask me how I know) along the gun'l and there is zero flex.

The bow seat is just now having the foam core cut to fit.

The surfaces look rougher than they are because of the
different shades of filler/mix used in the epoxy. It is all
finished to a satin feel from the peel ply. I will have to
do some sanding & fairing though.

The whole boat is TREMENDOUSLY strong. If I were to do it
all over again, I would use lighter cloth & save a lot of
weight. I wish I had a video of the neighbor & I jumping up
& down on the thwart... think how many boats you have to
step gingerly when it's on the trailer (or any time). I
don't think it would be possible to build anything remotely
comparable in steel or aluminum. This shape could be
approximated with a tortured-ply but it would weigh a lot
more (wood is 35# /c-ft, the foam core is 6) and be less
strong and far less rigid. With conventional fiberglass it
would weigh what the conventional dinks weigh (100# and up).

DSK

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Joe Joe is offline

DSK wrote:
Could you do that in steel, and keep the weight down enough
to carry with one hand?

Joe wrote:
Yes with ease.

Prove it

DSK

Here is a stamped steel boat I could carry with one finger Bucko.

http://img.alibaba.com/img/product/p...1651610340.jpg

Joe

posted to alt.sailing.asa
DSK DSK is offline

Joe wrote:
Here is a stamped steel boat I could carry with one finger Bucko.

http://img.alibaba.com/img/product/p...1651610340.jpg

I'm having trouble picturing what would happen if 2 people
jumped up & down on it, to test the structural properties.

DSK

posted to alt.sailing.asa
DSK DSK is offline

Bart wrote:
I can send them to a phone. I don't have email service to get
them out of my phone onto a computer.

I don't either, got a new 'replacement' phone and while this
one actually takes OK pictures (well, they look pretty good
on that tiny screen) I don't know what else to do with them.

DSK

posted to alt.sailing.asa

You can't mail them to an email address? Works for me.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"DSK" wrote in message
Bart wrote:
I can send them to a phone. I don't have email service to get
them out of my phone onto a computer.

I don't either, got a new 'replacement' phone and while this one actually
takes OK pictures (well, they look pretty good on that tiny screen) I
don't know what else to do with them.

DSK

carbon fiber paddle [email protected] General 3 August 28th 06 04:26 AM
Carbon Fiber Marc Reeves Boat Building 13 April 13th 06 10:08 PM
Ping:... Joe Capt.Mooron ASA 24 March 31st 06 08:06 PM
Great article about boating in the LA Times Jason Boat Building 15 August 31st 04 07:42 AM
Great article in the LA Times Jason General 0 August 24th 04 06:28 PM