posted to alt.sailing.asa
MMC MMC is offline

Default Doug's Carbon Fiber Wonder

Very cool Doug. What's the bottom line ($$$) on this if you don't mind me
asking?
MMC
"DSK" wrote in message
Joe wrote:

Hoping to get a glance at a finished picture.

Are you finished yet Doug?

Pic from this morning
http://sports.webshots.com/photo/261...35692614eOakGw

Here is the most recent pic
http://sports.webshots.com/photo/266...35692614wfZuXl

The stern sheets (seat) is not finished & installed structurally. The
center thwart is not totally finished yet but does have the knees tabbed
in (last night's epoxy job). The gunwhales are not finished yet and are
tremendously strong, you can lift the boat from any point (and drop it
too, ask me how I know) along the gun'l and there is zero flex.

The bow seat is just now having the foam core cut to fit.

The surfaces look rougher than they are because of the different shades of
filler/mix used in the epoxy. It is all finished to a satin feel from the
peel ply. I will have to do some sanding & fairing though.

The whole boat is TREMENDOUSLY strong. If I were to do it all over again,
I would use lighter cloth & save a lot of weight. I wish I had a video of
the neighbor & I jumping up & down on the thwart... think how many boats
you have to step gingerly when it's on the trailer (or any time). I don't
think it would be possible to build anything remotely comparable in steel
or aluminum. This shape could be approximated with a tortured-ply but it
would weigh a lot more (wood is 35# /c-ft, the foam core is 6) and be less
strong and far less rigid. With conventional fiberglass it would weigh
what the conventional dinks weigh (100# and up).

DSK

posted to alt.sailing.asa
DSK DSK is offline

MMC wrote:
Very cool Doug.

Thanks. Can't wait to try it out!

What's the bottom line ($$$) on this if you don't mind me
asking?

Hmm. Obviously it's not cheap, would rather not talk about
it. Let's say, the materials to build it cost somewhat less
than one of these

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi..._boats=1370362

Question is, which is one is worth more coolness points?

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

posted to alt.sailing.asa

DSK wrote:
MMC wrote:

Very cool Doug.

Thanks. Can't wait to try it out!

What's the bottom line ($$$) on this if you don't mind me asking?

Hmm. Obviously it's not cheap, would rather not talk about it. Let's
say, the materials to build it cost somewhat less than one of these

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi..._boats=1370362

Question is, which is one is worth more coolness points?

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

HA! You didn't include labor! How many hours you have into it? At
what hourly rate? Bit personal satisfaction does exonerate some of
that. (IOWm does K. know how much you spent?_
posted to alt.sailing.asa
DSK DSK is offline

katysails wrote:
HA! You didn't include labor! How many hours you have into it?

Well, not quite enough to grow a long gray beard....
I've been working on it, off & on, for two years. The first
year was all design work and talking (emailing) back & forth
with some naval architects... which was actually kind of
fun. Should I count that as "labor"? Then there was building
two models.

The real "work" started with lofting, which I should have
spent more time on. The building the mold stations & jig,
which was kind of fun. That was back in April or so. It took
until mid-summer before it was recognizable as a boat. And
now look!

At
what hourly rate? Bit personal satisfaction does exonerate some of
that. (IOWm does K. know how much you spent?_

Oh yes. She's the one egging me on, saying "Go ahead and
order all that stuff... get extra epoxy, we have some more
projects to use it on."

DSK

posted to alt.sailing.asa
DSK DSK is offline

More new pics

The fairing layer, partly sanded off.
http://sports.webshots.com/photo/275...35692614NTiuGw

Last few dabs of fairing, first few dabs of paint
http://sports.webshots.com/photo/245...35692614VHryVr

If the weather stays nice (clear, highs around 70) I will be
able to finish sanding the hull and get a full coat of paint
laid on this afternoon. The interior needs a little bit more
sanding but is 99.9% ready to be painted also.

I am hoping that some time next week, I will be able to
report how the thing works!

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"DSK" wrote | The fairing layer, partly sanded off.
| http://sports.webshots.com/photo/275...35692614NTiuGw
|
| Last few dabs of fairing, first few dabs of paint
| http://sports.webshots.com/photo/245...35692614VHryVr

It looks like a Dyer. Do you have the mast, rudder and sail? Those Dyer's sail
pretty good. They tend to be flexi if the gunnels aren't new and stiff. It helps to
have the original floor boards because that stiffens the bottom which can be
flexi too.

Cheers,
Ellen
posted to alt.sailing.asa
DSK DSK is offline

| http://sports.webshots.com/photo/275...35692614NTiuGw
|
| Last few dabs of fairing, first few dabs of paint
| http://sports.webshots.com/photo/245...35692614VHryVr

Ellen MacArthur wrote:
It looks like a Dyer.

Only if you have extremely poor eyesight.

DSK

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"DSK" wrote
| Only if you have extremely poor eyesight.

My eyes are probably better than yours.
Those two pictures aren't the best to tell much of anything. Maybe basic shape.
It's all splotchy and dull. It's shaped like a Dyer but maybe no chine there. But it's
hard to see if there's a chine because the pictures are dull or the hull is dull and
splotchy. So gimme a break, please....

Cheers,
Ellen
posted to alt.sailing.asa

DSK wrote:
More new pics

The fairing layer, partly sanded off.
http://sports.webshots.com/photo/275...35692614NTiuGw

Last few dabs of fairing, first few dabs of paint
http://sports.webshots.com/photo/245...35692614VHryVr

If the weather stays nice (clear, highs around 70) I will be able to
finish sanding the hull and get a full coat of paint laid on this
afternoon. The interior needs a little bit more sanding but is 99.9%
ready to be painted also.

I am hoping that some time next week, I will be able to report how the
thing works!

Yippeee!! A new toy to try out! Looks good, Doug.
posted to alt.sailing.asa
DSK DSK is offline

katysails wrote:
Yippeee!! A new toy to try out! Looks good, Doug.

Thanks. You're signing on for the trial voyage, right? I
already have the oars.

If I had more time, I'd complete a sailing rig for it, but
I'm losing my work shop next week.

DSK

carbon fiber paddle [email protected] General 3 August 28th 06 04:26 AM
Carbon Fiber Marc Reeves Boat Building 13 April 13th 06 10:08 PM
Ping:... Joe Capt.Mooron ASA 24 March 31st 06 08:06 PM
Great article about boating in the LA Times Jason Boat Building 15 August 31st 04 07:42 AM
Great article in the LA Times Jason General 0 August 24th 04 06:28 PM