posted to rec.boats.building

Default Finishing Carbon Fiber

I am not building a boat but, I have been building a Fiberglass/Foam/
Carbon Fiber skatebaord decks for a couple of years. I would like to
get a smooth colored exterior surface on my lay-ups. I vacuum bag my
lay ups and this is my normal construction method:

Triaxil Fiber glass
1/16" thick maple core
3/8" last-foam
Triaxial Fiberglass
Carbon Fiber
Colored Cotton Cloth

I used the colored cotton to finish the bottom of the skateboard deck.
After wetting out the cotton cloth and applying over the black carbon
fiber the color of the cotton cloth darkens up. I would like to be
able to get a bright solid color on the bottom of the deck.

Here is a link to a picture of the skateboards I build:

http://www.fibreglast.com/Customer%2..._alton__il.jpg

What other options do I have to get this type of finish?

Thanks

Paul

posted to rec.boats.building

grafgulch brought forth on stone tablets:
[...]

aluminum foil?

bob
s/v Eolian
Seattle
posted to rec.boats.building

On Thu, 30 Aug 2007 14:45:35 -0700, ray lunder wrote
stuff
and I replied:

Nor with mine

http://www.fibreglast.com/Customer%2..._alton__il.jpg

The link doesn't work with my browser but I know they make a special
fiberglass that dries perfectly clear. It's for encapsulating

Human bevaviour: Bestiality with a brain
posted to rec.boats.building

On Thu, 30 Aug 2007 11:16:00 -0700, grafgulch
wrote stuff
and I replied:

It's another type of work, but could you not use undercoat and 2-part
urethane etc?

grafgulch wrote:
[...]

Interesting layup... anyway, some options a
- Pigmented resin additives
- Paint (either enamel, 2 part polyurethanes, or spray)

wrote:

[...]

An underlayer of white cotton?

Brian W
posted to rec.boats.building

On Thu, 30 Aug 2007 14:45:35 -0700, ray lunder wrote:

... I did mix some kind of dry powder pigment with West System
epoxy that came out super vivid. I got it from an oil painter/artist
and I don't know what it's called....

I have used water-soluble poster paint powder to tint epoxy to make
tools with color spots. Light colors worked well for me.

Brian W
posted to rec.boats.building

Thanks everyone for your tips. Sorry for the link not working.

PG

Doug's Carbon Fiber Wonder Joe ASA 31 November 29th 06 05:27 PM
carbon fiber paddle [email protected] General 3 August 28th 06 04:26 AM
Carbon Fiber Marc Reeves Boat Building 13 April 13th 06 10:08 PM
FS: Carbon Fiber Paddle John Kuthe General 19 July 29th 03 05:27 PM
FS: Carbon Fiber Paddle John Kuthe Touring 19 July 29th 03 05:27 PM