posted to rec.boats.building
Evan Gatehouse[_2_] Evan Gatehouse[_2_] is offline

Default Finishing Carbon Fiber

grafgulch wrote:
I am not building a boat but, I have been building a Fiberglass/Foam/
Carbon Fiber skatebaord decks for a couple of years. I would like to
get a smooth colored exterior surface on my lay-ups. I vacuum bag my
lay ups and this is my normal construction method:

Triaxil Fiber glass
1/16" thick maple core
3/8" last-foam
Triaxial Fiberglass
Carbon Fiber
Colored Cotton Cloth

I used the colored cotton to finish the bottom of the skateboard deck.
After wetting out the cotton cloth and applying over the black carbon
fiber the color of the cotton cloth darkens up. I would like to be
able to get a bright solid color on the bottom of the deck.

Here is a link to a picture of the skateboards I build:

http://www.fibreglast.com/Customer%2..._alton__il.jpg

What other options do I have to get this type of finish?

Thanks

Paul

Interesting layup... anyway, some options a
- Pigmented resin additives
- Paint (either enamel, 2 part polyurethanes, or spray)