Harry Krause

Default Interesting boat ride......

K Smith wrote:

There are lots of "cored" hulls but the trend for some time now has
been not to core below the waterline BUT the point was this is balsa
cored. Modern core materials are all but impervious to moisture, not so
balsa & a balsa cored hull has well known risks attached, which your
article should have at least made mention of.

Some modern core materials are all but impervious to moisture, but not
all of them. There have been problems with some of the foam materials.

The BS about glass & the use of vinyl ester resin (like most others) is
just marketing spruik.

Oh? Now you are an expert on fiberglass chemistry and production? Based
upon what? Your years of sniffing epoxy?

Some of Harry's very recent lies, he has lied from day one & continues;

This is a person who has NEVER not once been able to join even a coastal
navigation thread, much less celestial,

Oh, I'm quite able, I just choose not to do so.

Email sent to will never reach me.

K Smith

Gould 0738 wrote:
Chuck I wasn't going to say anything but now the subject of yet another
cheering not critically reviewed ad piece has been raised & accepting
you'll never confirm that this was the same boat originally supplied
with dangerous steering which did fail & yes you we OK but it was

Au contraire! Read the first two lines of the post again. I did confirm that
it was the same boat. (Your oversight is forgiven.)

Thanks, I was assuming & yes I shouldn't, but it seems the top bit was
to us in the NG?? who had seen the previous story?? did you make it
clear in the review??

Regardless thanks for the forgiveness:-)

Most of those "we saved some weight" spruikers are more interested in
saving the money that weight would have cost them & as for a balsa cored
"hull" below the waterline??? what since the 70s??

There's darn little hull below the waterline on a cat. And many manufacturers
still build cored hulls, on some very expensive vessels.

There are lots of "cored" hulls but the trend for some time now has
been not to core below the waterline BUT the point was this is balsa
cored. Modern core materials are all but impervious to moisture, not so
balsa & a balsa cored hull has well known risks attached, which your
article should have at least made mention of.

There's lots of "hull" in the water on a cat, indeed that's the problem
they're very load sensitive together with being power & fuel hungry for
that very reason.

Apart from the under spec (read "we saved some money") steering that
failed in a magazine test it seems the general trend continues &
everything that should set your alarm bells ringing is put to you & you
then accept it, as a virtue??

There is more than one proper way to build a boat.

It's possible to do a quality job with a number of different techniques. I will
say this; the hull on this vessel is as *tight* as
anything its size category.

"Tight" come on Chuck, the readers can comment he-) if you rang
around the constructors of similar sized boats, gave them the
construction method (end grain balsa core all over) & the final weight
they all say yes a good racing hull, but then they're not selling those
they're selling fishing general purpose boats which given the pricing
the owner is entitled to think will last & reflect that in resale.

The BS about glass & the use of vinyl ester resin (like most others) is
just marketing spruik.

Anyway we have a different perspective that's all.

Some of Harry's very recent lies, he has lied from day one & continues;

This is a person who has NEVER not once been able to join even a coastal
navigation thread, much less celestial, no matter he does & never has
owned a boat,the charter boats he occasionally pays to be taken out on
wouldn't tell him anything, other than not to come back. He makes these
lies up as he goes along.

I got a Tamaya for my 10th Anniversary. It's a lovely instrument.

I did own two plastic sextants some years ago, but I got rid of one of
them. The Tamaya was a recent anniversary gift. But I said that. Are you
just plain stupid?

Weems & Plath doesn't make the sextants you show on that page, Mark.
They simply sell them. As they sell or sold the plastic sextants I had.
But if you bought one of those Tamayas from W&P, you certainly could say
it was a W&P Sextant, just as W&P says they are, on the page you cited,
under the heading:

If you are referring to my two plastic sextants, one was purchased new
from Weems & Plath and I bought the other used from a fellow who said he
got it at Weems. Ergo, they came from Weems & Plath. They're Davis
sextants, of course, the guys who make the popular-priced plastic sextants.