posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats

Default Just wondering?

On Wed, 23 Jul 2014 11:52:21 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

I acquired a 1971 Tri Sonic, Tri-Hall Open Bow. It has a Mercuiser 165hp inline Chevy 6, in very good condition garaged most of its life and well cared for.
I was hoping to find a group or information on this type of boat or at least the power train. Currently after adding a new manifold, tune up, re surfacing
the head and oil change she purrs like a kitten. We took her out on our 1st break in cruise, just such a pleasant experience. I have had many boats in my
day, even sunk a couple. I never had a boat run like this on its 1st cruise especially one this old. But when I pulled into the dock and shut her down to
unload, I tried to start her back up to move her to the boat trailer and the starter just spun. Sounds like the the starter would not engage, just this
winding noise, like something spinning in the starter. I don't know what might have caused that since the starter looks like new.

Thank You in advance for anyone that can shed some light on this.

===

You might want to ask this question on "rec.boats" instead of
"rec.boats.cruising" there are some knowledgable engine guys over
there if you can attract their attention. Just ignore the political
and personal BS. It sounds to me like the starter gear (sometimes
called a Bendix) is not engaging properly and it may need to be
replaced or rebuilt.
Tim Tim is offline

On Wednesday, July 23, 2014 1:45:29 PM UTC-7, Wayne. B wrote:
[...]

Wayne, I posted my uneducated opinion over there.

On Wed, 23 Jul 2014 15:12:58 -0700 (PDT), Tim
wrote:

[...]

I'm sure it's better than that since you probably know more about
starters than anyone else I know.

The sliding gear assembly is called a Bendix is it not?
Tim Tim is offline

The politically correct name is the "overriding clutch and pinion assembly" but it's callus the "bendix" because the Bendix corp. Came up with and manufactured the idea, so ihe device got that nickname. Like adjustable pliers are a Crescent wrench via Crescent tool co.

On 7/23/2014 2:45 PM, Wayne.B wrote:
[...]

Might just need cleaning and lubricating. Never seize sometimes works
well for this.

--
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the
government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of

"H*a*r*r*o*l*d" wrote:

Might just need cleaning and lubricating. Never seize sometimes
works well for this.

Back in the '60s when I was involved in the design of heavy duty
cranking motors for the over the road diesel fleets, the Bendix
salesman
told me it was common practice to pull the cranking motor complete
with
Bendix drive assembled, and stick it in a gallon bucket of kerosene
for a
few days to free up a stuck drive.

These days, can you still buy kerosene in bulk?

Lew

Tim Tim is offline

"H*a*r*r*o*l*d" wrote:

Might just need cleaning and lubricating. Never seize sometimes

works well for this.

Back in the '60s when I was involved in the design of heavy duty

cranking motors for the over the road diesel fleets, the Bendix

salesman

told me it was common practice to pull the cranking motor complete

with

Bendix drive assembled, and stick it in a gallon bucket of kerosene

for a

few days to free up a stuck drive.

These days, can you still buy kerosene in bulk?

Lew

Nice to see you Lew!
Tim Tim is offline

On Wednesday, July 23, 2014 11:11:29 PM UTC-7, wrote:
On Wed, 23 Jul 2014 18:11:59 -0700 (PDT), Tim

wrote:

The politically correct name is the "overriding clutch and pinion assembly" but it's callus the "bendix" because the Bendix corp. Came up with and manufactured the idea, so ihe device got that nickname. Like adjustable pliers are a Crescent wrench via Crescent tool co.

Don't GM starters still use the solenoid activated starter gear?

(physically jammed into the flywheel by a solenoid instead of the

helical cuts in the starter shaft like a traditional Bendix)

No matter, you still probably have a starter removal in your future.

yep, but "Bendix" is still a "Bendix' Greg.
Tim Tim is offline

On Wednesday, July 23, 2014 8:29:28 PM UTC-7, H*a*r*r*o*l*d wrote:
[...]

I really don't think thats the problem of 'sticking' because it worked flawlessly, then it didn't. hmmmm

I was wondering where our... F.O.A.D. General 0 December 21st 13 02:34 AM
Wondering? regarding O.T s Florida Keyz General 2 October 5th 04 12:30 AM
Wondering about Neal? Thom Stewart ASA 23 August 18th 04 07:01 AM
Wondering how many Joe ASA 15 March 19th 04 12:06 PM
Wondering at sea Capt.American ASA 12 July 30th 03 02:20 AM