Tim Tim is offline

Default Just wondering?

On Wednesday, July 23, 2014 1:45:29 PM UTC-7, Wayne. B wrote:
On Wed, 23 Jul 2014 11:52:21 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

I acquired a 1971 Tri Sonic, Tri-Hall Open Bow. It has a Mercuiser 165hp inline Chevy 6, in very good condition garaged most of its life and well cared for.

I was hoping to find a group or information on this type of boat or at least the power train. Currently after adding a new manifold, tune up, re surfacing

the head and oil change she purrs like a kitten. We took her out on our 1st break in cruise, just such a pleasant experience. I have had many boats in my

day, even sunk a couple. I never had a boat run like this on its 1st cruise especially one this old. But when I pulled into the dock and shut her down to

unload, I tried to start her back up to move her to the boat trailer and the starter just spun. Sounds like the the starter would not engage, just this

winding noise, like something spinning in the starter. I don't know what might have caused that since the starter looks like new.

Thank You in advance for anyone that can shed some light on this.

===

You might want to ask this question on "rec.boats" instead of

"rec.boats.cruising" there are some knowledgable engine guys over

there if you can attract their attention. Just ignore the political

and personal BS. It sounds to me like the starter gear (sometimes

called a Bendix) is not engaging properly and it may need to be

replaced or rebuilt.

Wayne, I posted my uneducated opinion over there.