Default .357 Magnum, handled properly

On 7/14/14, 1:09 AM, wrote:
On Sun, 13 Jul 2014 22:02:07 -0400, F*O*A*D wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iq3UdULuqt8

Notice how well the muzzle flip is controlled in a properly designed and
handled revolver. Mine has even less muzzle flip, it's heavier with a 6"
barrel.

He is shooting cast bullets which pretty much limits him to .38
velocities and he calls them "very modest loads, nothing hot at all".
It looks like the kind of loading I did with wad cutters, except he
has a round nose bullet. (the good old 158gr?)

Except, of course, you don't have the specifications of what he is
shooting. My guess is that he is a far more highly skilled shooter than
you are, and knows how to handle .357 MAGS in a short barrel revolver,
and you, well, there it is...you don't. Looks to me as if he is shooting
what is considered the standard weight .357 MAG bullet in a standard
..357 MAG casing with a standard .357 MAG powder charge, the kind you can
buy off the shelf from dozens of vendors.

The stuff I shoot has the bullet weight and velocity of Buffalo Bore,
except I shoot FMJ's. Gosh, I wonder if I am actually shooting .357
MAGs. snerk

--
Republicans . . . the anti-immigrant, anti-contraception, anti-student,
anti-middle class, pro-impeachment party that shut down the government
Tim Tim is offline

On Monday, July 14, 2014 3:09:58 AM UTC-7, F*O*A*D wrote:
On 7/14/14, 1:09 AM, wrote:

[...]

I'n not getting into it with exception of I don't think that the shooters 'skill' has much to do with a hand guns kickback properties.

But if you look at this demo of the comparable Colt Diamond Back, which is chambered in .38 you see about the same kick back and sound characteristics. IMO the guy with the .357 is shooting lighter loads than factory, causing less kick.

On 7/14/14, 7:19 AM, Tim wrote:

I'n not getting into it with exception of I don't think that the shooters 'skill' has much to do with a hand guns kickback properties.

But if you look at this demo of the comparable Colt Diamond Back, which is chambered in .38 you see about the same kick back and sound characteristics. IMO the guy with the .357 is shooting lighter loads than factory, causing less kick.

Sure it does. A skilled shooter will have a proper grip, a proper
stance, and the ability to control the impact of recoil and muzzle rise.
Therefore, the "kickback" is controlled.

Since we don't know what loads the guy is shooting, we can all
speculate, eh?

--
Republicans . . . the anti-immigrant, anti-contraception, anti-student,
anti-middle class, pro-impeachment party that shut down the government
last year for no reason.
Tim Tim is offline

Harry, I'm not speculating. The guy is using hand loaded led bullets. The gun doesn't have the crack of a jacketed round and you can see the lead residue spraying out the barrel. I've shot .357 for years with lots of different loads and bullets so...

On 7/14/14, 8:19 AM, Tim wrote:
Harry, I'm not speculating. The guy is using hand loaded led bullets. The gun doesn't have the crack of a jacketed round and you can see the lead residue spraying out the barrel. I've shot .357 for years with lots of different loads and bullets so...

I wasn't commenting about the bullet, per se. I was commenting about the
powder charge.

Here's a question for you...

Of what components is a "true" .357 MAG round composed, and in what amounts?

On 7/14/14, 1:09 AM, wrote:

[...]

You're not the first shooter here to say that. Could the great Harry
Krause be hypothesizing and blowing smoke up our arses,,,,,,,,,,,,again?

--
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the
government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of

Are you properly armed? jps General 5 January 21st 10 01:26 AM
Properly ventilating a boat cover [email protected] General 4 September 21st 05 04:06 AM
350 Magnum MPI, RPM at WOT David Patnaude General 7 June 6th 05 01:18 PM
Flying Flags -- Properly anchorlt Cruising 14 June 16th 04 03:41 AM
Newbee: how are square yard brases handled on tall ships ? Jan Gelbrich Tall Ships 6 November 19th 03 07:58 PM