KC KC is offline

Default Question on boat...

Ok. here is the question... I really can't seem to picture a 20 foot
skiff on plane trying to figure out appx what angle of pitch it will
travel through the water at..

I can't imagine any more than 3-5 degrees once you get over the hull
wave, but I am not sure...

Here is my scenario. A 20 foot skiff with 10 degree deadrise (made for
lakes and protected water not a steep vee) at about a 3-1 length to
width ratio at the sitting waterline.. Can any of you give me an idea of
what pitch this boat might ride at with a outboard attatched to the
transom, no whalefins or other hull additives?

Thanks....
KC KC is offline

On 7/6/2014 12:11 PM, KC wrote:
Ok. here is the question... I really can't seem to picture a 20 foot
skiff on plane trying to figure out appx what angle of pitch it will
travel through the water at..

I can't imagine any more than 3-5 degrees once you get over the hull
wave, but I am not sure...

Here is my scenario. A 20 foot skiff with 10 degree deadrise (made for
lakes and protected water not a steep vee) at about a 3-1 length to
width ratio at the sitting waterline.. Can any of you give me an idea of
what pitch this boat might ride at with a outboard attatched to the
transom, no whalefins or other hull additives?

Thanks....

I went on line and searched pictures and such and it looks to me like I
am looking at about 4 degrees pitch at plane for this hull. And if
that's the case, the numbers look real good for what I am looking to get
out of this boat.

On 7/6/2014 11:31 AM, KC wrote:
On 7/6/2014 12:11 PM, KC wrote:
[...]

Is pitch something like bow rise?

--
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the
government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of
KC KC is offline

On 7/6/2014 3:00 PM, H*a*r*r*o*l*d wrote:
On 7/6/2014 11:31 AM, KC wrote:
On 7/6/2014 12:11 PM, KC wrote:
[...]

Yeah, that's what I am trying to figure... I have a program that will
show me waterlines and some simulations but I need to know about how
much bow rise I might have...

On 7/6/2014 11:31 AM, KC wrote:
On 7/6/2014 12:11 PM, KC wrote:
[...]

build it and find out.

On Sun, 06 Jul 2014 20:32:26 -0400, KC wrote:

Is pitch something like bow rise?

Yeah, that's what I am trying to figure... I have a program that will
show me waterlines and some simulations but I need to know about how
much bow rise I might have...

===

Most designs like that tend to ride fairly flat at full planning speed
but it will depend a lot on speed and loading.
KC KC is offline

On 7/6/2014 11:20 PM, Wayne.B wrote:
On Sun, 06 Jul 2014 20:32:26 -0400, KC wrote:

Is pitch something like bow rise?

Yeah, that's what I am trying to figure... I have a program that will
show me waterlines and some simulations but I need to know about how
much bow rise I might have...

===

Most designs like that tend to ride fairly flat at full planning speed
but it will depend a lot on speed and loading.

Thanks... as I looked at google today I am starting to get that idea...
I did increase the deadrise to 13 degrees today but gave the bow a bit
more lift too and if I go ahead and make a slightly forward mount to
keep the prop under the hull, it should stay even flatter... thanks
Wayne, I was hoping you would pipe in here, assuming you see a lot of
boats in that size range...