BoatBanter.com

-   -   Question on boat... (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/161191-question-boat.html)

KC July 6th 14 05:11 PM

Question on boat...

Ok. here is the question... I really can't seem to picture a 20 foot
skiff on plane trying to figure out appx what angle of pitch it will
travel through the water at..

I can't imagine any more than 3-5 degrees once you get over the hull
wave, but I am not sure...

Here is my scenario. A 20 foot skiff with 10 degree deadrise (made for
lakes and protected water not a steep vee) at about a 3-1 length to
width ratio at the sitting waterline.. Can any of you give me an idea of
what pitch this boat might ride at with a outboard attatched to the
transom, no whalefins or other hull additives?

Thanks....

KC July 6th 14 05:31 PM

Question on boat...

On 7/6/2014 12:11 PM, KC wrote:
Ok. here is the question... I really can't seem to picture a 20 foot
skiff on plane trying to figure out appx what angle of pitch it will
travel through the water at..

I can't imagine any more than 3-5 degrees once you get over the hull
wave, but I am not sure...

Here is my scenario. A 20 foot skiff with 10 degree deadrise (made for
lakes and protected water not a steep vee) at about a 3-1 length to
width ratio at the sitting waterline.. Can any of you give me an idea of
what pitch this boat might ride at with a outboard attatched to the
transom, no whalefins or other hull additives?

Thanks....

I went on line and searched pictures and such and it looks to me like I
am looking at about 4 degrees pitch at plane for this hull. And if
that's the case, the numbers look real good for what I am looking to get
out of this boat.

H*a*r*r*o*l*d July 6th 14 08:00 PM

Question on boat...

On 7/6/2014 11:31 AM, KC wrote:
On 7/6/2014 12:11 PM, KC wrote:
[...]

Is pitch something like bow rise?

--
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the
government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of

KC July 7th 14 01:32 AM

Question on boat...

On 7/6/2014 3:00 PM, H*a*r*r*o*l*d wrote:
On 7/6/2014 11:31 AM, KC wrote:
On 7/6/2014 12:11 PM, KC wrote:
[...]

Yeah, that's what I am trying to figure... I have a program that will
show me waterlines and some simulations but I need to know about how
much bow rise I might have...

H*a*r*r*o*l*d July 7th 14 03:52 AM

Question on boat...

On 7/6/2014 11:31 AM, KC wrote:
On 7/6/2014 12:11 PM, KC wrote:
[...]

build it and find out.

Wayne.B July 7th 14 04:20 AM

Question on boat...

On Sun, 06 Jul 2014 20:32:26 -0400, KC wrote:

Is pitch something like bow rise?

Yeah, that's what I am trying to figure... I have a program that will
show me waterlines and some simulations but I need to know about how
much bow rise I might have...

===

Most designs like that tend to ride fairly flat at full planning speed
but it will depend a lot on speed and loading.

KC July 7th 14 06:33 AM

Question on boat...

On 7/6/2014 11:20 PM, Wayne.B wrote:
On Sun, 06 Jul 2014 20:32:26 -0400, KC wrote:

Is pitch something like bow rise?

Yeah, that's what I am trying to figure... I have a program that will
show me waterlines and some simulations but I need to know about how
much bow rise I might have...

===

Most designs like that tend to ride fairly flat at full planning speed
but it will depend a lot on speed and loading.

Thanks... as I looked at google today I am starting to get that idea...
I did increase the deadrise to 13 degrees today but gave the bow a bit
more lift too and if I go ahead and make a slightly forward mount to
keep the prop under the hull, it should stay even flatter... thanks
Wayne, I was hoping you would pipe in here, assuming you see a lot of
boats in that size range...

Mr. Luddite July 7th 14 10:02 AM

Question on boat...

On 7/7/2014 1:33 AM, KC wrote:
On 7/6/2014 11:20 PM, Wayne.B wrote:
On Sun, 06 Jul 2014 20:32:26 -0400, KC wrote:

Is pitch something like bow rise?

Yeah, that's what I am trying to figure... I have a program that will
show me waterlines and some simulations but I need to know about how
much bow rise I might have...

===

Most designs like that tend to ride fairly flat at full planning speed
but it will depend a lot on speed and loading.

Thanks... as I looked at google today I am starting to get that idea...
I did increase the deadrise to 13 degrees today but gave the bow a bit
more lift too and if I go ahead and make a slightly forward mount to
keep the prop under the hull, it should stay even flatter... thanks
Wayne, I was hoping you would pipe in here, assuming you see a lot of
boats in that size range...

You seem to be discussing two different things. The term "bow lift" is
usually used to define how high the bow rises when the boat is at a
particular speed, with the max rise just before it comes up on a plane.

The way you are using "bow lift" in your question appears to be related
to the pitch of the hull in the basic design of the boat.

That's what it sounds like to me anyway.

F*O*A*D July 7th 14 11:22 AM

Question on boat...

On 7/7/14, 5:02 AM, Mr. Luddite wrote:
On 7/7/2014 1:33 AM, KC wrote:
[...]

He's not going to get much in the way of performance or bowlift of
"either kind" with a 25 hp outboard on a 20' long boat with an
approximate 6.5' beam and a hull with 13 degrees of deadrise at the
transom.

--
Ted Cruz & Herman Cain in 2016...
Because 'mericans deserve crazy.