Default It's worse than I thought!

I was sitting in a coffee shop last evening, waiting for my wife and
working on a news release for a client, when a guy at the next table
with a new Dell laptop running Win 8 came over and asked me if I could
get the shop's wi-fi running on his machine.

He kept getting the error message "limited wi-fi capability," or
something like that.

We rebooted his machine and I tried to get the wi-fi searcher going so
it could find the signal in the shop. Even that wasn't easy...the
machine just would not find the local signal. He needed to check his
email to find out where he needed to report for work that evening (he
works for a utility company and his workplace varies a lot during the
week), so I just let him use my Macbook Air.

He really was ****ed at Win 8 and his Dell when he left, and muttered
that he was going to give the machine to his son and get himself "an Apple."

I never did figure out what was wrong with his setup. Anyone have a
clue? I don't have a way to check it out because I don't have a Windoze
computer.

On 5/7/2014 8:43 AM, F*O*A*D wrote:
[...]

Did you show him where the WI-FI on off switch was?

On 5/7/2014 8:43 AM, F*O*A*D wrote:
[...]

I assume by inference that you were happily working away on your Mac,
connected to the coffee shop's wi-fi. You didn't exactly say that
however ... you may have been "working" off-line.

The error message may have nothing to do with his computer. It could be
the coffee shop's wi-fi router or even no internet access by the server.
When Comcast goes down occasionally I'll get a report of "limited
access" or "local only" meaning the computer is talking to the router
but the router isn't talking to the internet.

We have a Win8 laptop at the guitar shop and I've been using it for the
past couple of weeks while my buddy is off on his cruise. I don't have
any major complaints about Win8 but prefer to use my Win7 laptop.

There are some new features in Win8 however that I wish Win7 had. One
is a video stabilizer as part of Windows Movie Maker. It's great for
making amateur videos more viewable. The stabilization feature will
only work on Win8 machines however.

On 5/7/14, 10:07 AM, Mr. Luddite wrote:
On 5/7/2014 8:43 AM, F*O*A*D wrote:
[...]

I was on-line via the coffee shop's wi-fi. I was downloading and then
uploading the document via email, and then checking other emails. My Mac
had no problem finding the wi-fi signal or hooking up. The service there
was "up." It was an AT&T signal, not a comcast signal, but I doubt that
is relevant.

I've not previously seen an error message saying "limited wi-fi
capability."

Krausebag wrote:
I was sitting in a coffee shop last evening, waiting for my wife and
working on a news release for a client, [and other bull****. Hint: He doesn't have any "clients."]

But I, myself, was on a Delta flight to LAX last week and the pilot came back to where I was seated in the first class section. He said he was having trouble figuring out how to fly the airplane. He asked me to help. So I took over the controls and flew on into LAX and made the landing for him.

This is in addition, of course, to me having rounded The Horn (twice) and sailing across the Atlantic in a washtub. It's been a wonderful life!

I'm seriously wondering if she was giving you a furtive hand job while sitting on your lap asking for help.
There are folks here who edit out parts of the story, you know.

John, how did you know? The hand job was the best I've ever had and that's saying something! As you know, I've screwed the wives of every president since Truman.

Is there anything worse... X ` Man[_3_] General 0 May 12th 12 05:28 PM
What is worse Dr. Karen Grear, MD, PhD, STD[_2_] General 221 November 4th 10 12:21 AM
Which would be worse? Frogwatch[_2_] General 19 July 5th 10 03:23 PM
Worse than Guantanamo! Mike[_9_] ASA 5 July 9th 08 03:27 AM
Could be worse ... Sir Thomas of Cannondale Cruising 0 February 26th 08 04:14 PM