Tim Tim is offline

Default John, how was your trip?

To see your brother? Knowing you I'd think that if the weather was good you probably took Millie the Goose, instead of the truck. Hope your 300 mi one way trip went well. The weather map looked like a good day for a ride.. How is he anyhow?

Not bad! Round trip was 660 miles, got 45mpg going down, at 65mph mostly. Coming back, traveling
75mph mostly, the bike got 40mpg. That ten mph made a difference. The trip down was mostly rainy,
but not hard, and chilly - temps in the 40's. At the last minute I decided to throw an electric vest
into a saddle bag, and I was sure glad I did. I put it on about halfway down and what a difference.

My brother is doing as well as can be expected, I guess. The radiation and chemo has him looking
pretty bad, but his disposition is great. He's very weak and shaky, but he's hoping that'll get
better once he's done with the chemo and radiation.

The trip back was great - until I got to Fredericksburg, VA. From there to Alexandria took about two
and a half hours - a distance of about 45 miles. Stop and go, mostly stop. The bike and I got very
hot. The bike would idle fine, but one cylinder would die when I opened the throttle. I'd have to
twist the throttle back and forth and finally the dead one would kick in. Finally I pulled off the
road and shut her down. While there, a very nice young black lady offered me a coke as she was
stopped on the road. She was an angel. After about 20 minutes I took off again, and the bike ran a
lot better.

Got home about 4pm, after leaving Winston-Salem around 8:30. Moto Guzzi's do not like stop and go
traffic. I actually felt sorry for the poor bike, Milly, after overheating her the way I did. I gave
her a lot of tank pats after the stop on the side of the road. Hell, I felt as bad for the damn bike
as I have for my dog when I've walked her too far in the heat of summer. Now I carry water for the
dog, but that doesn't work on the bike!

There, that'll teach you to ask a simple question!

On 4/22/14, 10:11 AM, Poquito Loco wrote:

The trip back was great - until I got to Fredericksburg, VA. From there to Alexandria took about two
and a half hours - a distance of about 45 miles. Stop and go, mostly stop. The bike and I got very
hot. The bike would idle fine, but one cylinder would die when I opened the throttle. I'd have to
twist the throttle back and forth and finally the dead one would kick in. Finally I pulled off the
road and shut her down. While there, a very nice young black lady offered me a coke as she was
stopped on the road. She was an angel. After about 20 minutes I took off again, and the bike ran a
lot better.

Sometimes the Jeff Davis north from Fredericksburg works...usually less
traffic if you are running counter to rush hour. Nicer ride, too, than
the stinky interstate.

Tim Tim is offline

Yeah, I got myomeres worth out of my question. So sorry for your brother, and hope he can get along ok. Anyhow, glad the trip went good!

Tim Tim is offline

Vapor lock was what I was thinking too.

On 4/22/2014 11:37 AM, wrote:
On Tue, 22 Apr 2014 10:11:25 -0400, Poquito Loco
wrote:

Moto Guzzi's do not like stop and go

Shoulda bought a Harley ;-)

It does sound like a nice ride before you got jammed up.
Maybe it would have been better to cut over and come up through
southern Md. Once you get across the bridge there are several back
road ways to get up to Oxon Hill and those are great rides. Then you
just pop over the Wilson and you are home.

Southern Md was a great place to ride a bike. You almost needed a
county road map to find all the cool roads although I guess Google has
that covered now.

The big Harleys are a pain in stop and go traffic in hot weather ... at
least the two I had were. The exhaust system design where the
crossover pipe connects causes heat to burn your right inner thigh in
hot, stop and go traffic. Had a few experiences with mine with that.
It's fine if you're moving but extremely uncomfortable in hot weather in
traffic.

I was heading to the boat on the Cape one hot summer day and weekend
traffic had the highway backed up for miles just before you cross over
the Cape Cod Canal. The state troopers take advantage of this to catch
people driving in the breakdown lane and are positioned every half mile
or so to catch you. My leg was on fire after a while and I finally
said "screw it" and started down the breakdown lane ... slowly, but at
least I was moving. Got pulled over but explained the situation.
Fortunately the trooper also rode and understood. Let me go.

On Tue, 22 Apr 2014 12:13:54 -0400, "Mr. Luddite" wrote:

[...]

Great minds must think alike. You, Tim, and my friend in Holland, an absolute expert on Moto Guzzi
mechanics, all thought the same thing. My Dutch friend says, "Leave it alone."

That's good. I was thinking maybe it was a coil. It acted similar to my boat engine when the coil
went south. But, cooling it off helped. And, a new coil costs $149 to replace what I have now.

wrote:

[...]

On the older Guzzi's, the clutch is one of the first things to go. The constant starting and
stopping soon has the clutch grabbing and not releasing when the clutch lever is engaged. I've done
the same thing you did, but haven't been stopped. Glad to hear they'll listen to reason.