Bob

Default St. John River (Maine) Canoe/Camping Trip ?

Hello:

Would be most interested in anyones opinions and thoughts on the St. John river
in Maine canoe/camping trip.

Both in general, and if perhaps anyone has done it with the Elderhostle folks.

Interested in how the weather was, since the trips are run in mid May
due to water levels, and that's pretty early in the season for up there.

I realize it's a crap shoot, but how was the day and evening temp's, etc. ?
Any snow ?

Have done the Allagash twice, and am thinking of the St. johns.

Other opinions on, etc. ?
Did you enjoy, even if so early in season ?

Much thanks,
Bob
Peter H

Bob wrote:

I offered a few opinions & observatons in r.o.camping.

Pete H

--
The idea is to die young
as late as possible.

Lkmoxie

The run from 5th St. John Pond to Baker Lake is shallow and twisting class 2
which must be run as close as possible to ice-out. We did the trip from 5th to
Allagash in 5 days in mid-May. The water was high, fast, and cold with huge
ice flows along the banks. Big Black and Big Rapids were the only class 3 on
the trip; there were no portages. The weather was warm and sunny, cold and
windy with horizontal rain...a little of everything. The week immediately
prior to Memorial Day saw one day with 6 inches of snow. If you wait until the
Holiday weekend, you may be dragging your boats. It is a great trip for those
who can handle a little hardship.

John G.
Krister Willgren

I did St John last spring, third week of May. It was a great trip, a few
cold nights below freezing, otherwise mild and a mixture of sun - mostly
- and some rain. We put in a Baker Lake and paddled all the way to St
Francis.

The river has many riffs and shorter rapids that generally are easy and
fun. there are two more challenging rapids, the first is Big Black, not
too difficult if you scout beforehand and locate a good opening. The
second is tougher, the Big Rapids. It's longer and the route depends on
the water level. higfh water , you portage or stay river left, medium
water you find a way down the middle, low water go with the deeper but
more turbulent right channel.

Our tandem boat had a spray deck, so we ran dry. Without it we would
have taken on some water.

Enjoy,

Krister

OT -- NOYB, I win!!! John H General 0 April 10th 04 04:19 AM
OT Hey Hairball, Kerry is a Joke Christopher Robin General 65 April 6th 04 10:24 PM
) OT ) Bush's "needless war" Jim General 3 March 7th 04 07:16 AM
A Dickens Christmas Harry Krause General 0 December 25th 03 11:30 AM