Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Default Women are too busy to be paid equally for equal work.

Texas GOP struggles with equal pay for equal work
03/19/14 09:31 AM

By Steve Benen

Over the weekend, Cari Christman, the executive director of a political
action committee for Texas Republican women, struggled a bit when
explaining her party’s opposition to pay-equity laws. As Christman
argued in a televised interview, women don’t need measures like the
Lilly Ledbetter Fair Pay Act, largely because “women are extremely busy.”

As reports of the comments spread, the executive director of the Texas
Republican Party decided to weigh in to help put out the fire. As Laura
Bassett reported, this didn’t go well, either.

The day after the head of a Texas GOP women’s PAC flubbed her
answer on equal pay, the executive director of the Texas Republican
Party stepped in to explain the GOP’s alternative to fair pay legislation.

“Men are better negotiators,” Beth Cubriel said on YNN’s “Capital
Tonight.” “I would encourage women, instead of pursuing the courts for
action, to become better negotiators.”

Got that? As the new GOP argument goes, if women in the workplace
receive less pay for equal work, the blame rests with … the women
themselves, not their employers.

In case there are any lingering doubts about the merits of Cubriel’s
suggestion, it’s important to note that the problem is not with women’s
negotiating skills. Often, women don’t even know their employers are
subjecting them to wage discrimination.

Indeed, conservatives may want to re-familiarize themselves with the
basics of Lilly Ledbetter’s story – she was an exemplary staffer at a
Goodyear tire factory in Alabama, but after nearly two decades of work,
she quietly received a note informing her she’d been paid 40 percent
less than her male colleagues.

It was a problem that wasn’t going to be solved by becoming a better
negotiator,

What’s more, let’s not lose sight of the larger context here. This has
become an issue of late because Greg Abbott, Texas’ Republican
gubernatorial candidate, has refused to endorse pay-equity measures like
the Fair Pay Act. His allies are trying to provide a coherent defense,
but apparently they can’t think of anything persuasive.

Complicating matters, it’s not just Texas.

Laura Bassett also had this report on developments in Minnesota.

A package of bills in Minnesota that would enhance women’s economic
security by raising the minimum wage, providing paid family and sick
leave and addressing the gender pay gap makes women “look like whiners,”
a state GOP lawmaker said last week.

“We heard several bills last week about women’s issues and I kept
thinking to myself, these bills are putting us backwards in time,” State
Rep. Andrea Kieffer (R) told colleagues at a Wednesday hearing on one of
the measures. “We are losing the respect that we so dearly want in the
workplace by bringing up all these special bills for women and almost
making us look like whiners.”

So let me get this straight. If women face discrimination in the
workplace, this Republican state lawmaker believes they should just
accept unequal pay and move on?

If Democrats are extremely lucky, this issue will become increasingly
important as the 2014 midterms draw closer.
--

Nahhh...there's no Republican war on women. Except on every issue that
matters.

Rand Paul & Ted Cruz…your 2016 GOP nominees, because ‘Mericans deserve
crazy!