Default Windows XP end of support

On Mon, 10 Feb 2014 14:44:23 -0500, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

Not the same on the Windows machines.

===

Not all Windows machines are created equal. The Intel quad core i7
machines with processors like the 4770K are just blazing fast. It is
also important to have a 64 bit operating system and substantial
memory (8 to 16 Gig).

On Mon, 10 Feb 2014 19:23:55 -0500, "Mr. Luddite" wrote:

On 2/10/2014 6:31 PM, Boating All Out wrote:
In article , says...

Have you contacted Apple directly via Apple Care? I had a problem
getting the built-in wifi on my new little Canon camera to link up
consistently with my new iMac. I contacted Apple care last week, an
engineer called me, he had a solution that partially worked and said he
would escalate the problem to a development team. He called me on
Saturday to let me know the "team" sent him an email saying it was
working on the problem and might get back to him this week.

I'm beginning to see why the computer-illiterate prefer Apple.
Hand-holding.
I wonder how many people here with Win systems have talked to or
exchanged e-mails with Window tech support.
Not me.

Me either and I've been using Windows since it came out. Before that I
used DOS and "Geo-Works".

I am still exploring the Mac world. There are things I like and there
are things I either don't like or maybe don't understand yet.

One thing is for sure however. The "Mac" world is not as intuitive or
problem-free as many of the Apple acolytes would like us all to believe.

Other than the issue I am having with recording midi stuff I really
haven't had an issue that I couldn't figure out, but it sometimes takes
some hunting on the 'net to find the answers. The "help" sections and
tutorials built into the Mac are not very specific or helpful. I get
the impression sometimes that those who never used a computer or Windows
would have an easier time becoming accustom to the Mac world which is
maybe why I get tangle footed sometimes.

Here's an example. I was trying to set up the 16 channels for midi
event inputs last night. There's a window I found that represents the
channels as boxes, numbered 1-16. I discovered if you click on the
individual boxes, they change color from white to blue but nowhere does
it indicate if blue represents "on" or "off". I guess you are just
supposed to know this stuff. Wouldn't a check mark for "on" and blank
for "off" make more sense? Why white and blue? Beats me.

This is after spending an hour even finding the setup window with the
boxes for these channels. Nowhere can I find any references to it in
the help sections or setup instructions.

I would try making them all the same color and see what happens. Then change all the colors. Seems
like that should work, although I have no idea what you're talking about.

On 2/10/2014 7:33 PM, F.O.A.D. wrote:
On 2/10/14, 6:31 PM, Boating All Out wrote:
In article , says...

Have you contacted Apple directly via Apple Care? I had a problem
getting the built-in wifi on my new little Canon camera to link up
consistently with my new iMac. I contacted Apple care last week, an
engineer called me, he had a solution that partially worked and said he
would escalate the problem to a development team. He called me on
Saturday to let me know the "team" sent him an email saying it was
working on the problem and might get back to him this week.

I'm beginning to see why the computer-illiterate prefer Apple.
Hand-holding.
I wonder how many people here with Win systems have talked to or
exchanged e-mails with Window tech support.
Not me.

Yeah, right, because Windoze users are all able to code their own device
drivers and wifi hooks and so there's no reason to contact Microsoft.

Who "codes" their own device drivers? The driver typically comes with
the device, is already installed in Windows or can be easily found
on-line. I've noticed that more often than not (especially on the Win7
machine) that when I hook up a new device ... like the flatbed scanner
.... Windows automatically detects and loads the driver if it happens to
exist in the device ... or automatically finds the appropriate one (I
assume on the 'net) and installs it. I haven't used a CD supplied with
a device for a long time to load a driver. Plug and Play and it works.

Wi-Fi is duck soup (assuming the recycled equipment from Comcast works).
Even if it doesn't, it's not very difficult to figure out where the
problem resides.

That all said, I've found the same to be true with the iMac ... with the
annoying exception that I've previously bitched about regarding midi
input events.

I talked again today to my recording engineer friend to make sure I am
not missing something somewhere. It appears I am doing everything
correctly as far as the midi device, cabling and midi to USB conversion.
It's exactly what he is doing in his recording studio. Only difference
is that his iMac is the older version and he is running Mountain Lion.
He also is aware of reported problems with Mavericks in the application
important to his livelihood and is holding off upgrading until the
issues are resolved.

KC KC is offline

On 2/10/2014 2:35 PM, Bill McKee wrote:
On 2/10/14, 11:34 AM, Wayne.B wrote:
On Mon, 10 Feb 2014 14:08:24 -0500, HanK wrote:

Is there something wrong with Windows?

===

It's too complicated for Harry's simple tastes.

Can not be, when you are all knowing.

He's into video and pictures of his cats.. Mac is all he needs... I just
finished a huge website for a customer today, glad I had my PC with
Dreamweaver, Flash, Jasc, etc...

On 2/11/14, 4:11 AM, KC wrote:

Sigh. Yet more problems for Windozes users. Meanwhile, an Apple software
developer called me this morning to let me know he'd be emailing me a
small test program which he thinks will take care of a minor glitch I
had with a bit of hardware. Oh, he was in North Carolina and spoke
"Americanese." And what did I pay for my copy of Apple Mavericks OS that
I installed on my laptop? Why...nothing.

Thank you, Microsoft.

This get's funnier and funnier every time.. Now you have a personal tech
guy just to fix a "minor glitch" (aka, lobsta boat) on your "hardware"
(also lobsta boat)... I have been running my machine for years. Got a
video card changed a couple years back, still doing fine. Today I was at
a client running Paint shop Pro, Dreamweaver, Macromedia Flash Maker,
Any video converter, Firefox, Chrome, a text editor, and downloading
movies from the customer computer.... all at the same time while hooked
up to a verison wireless router and doing live edits to his website
adding video and photos... .. No crashes.. I just don't see what the big
deal is with you guys...

Ahh, but you see, Apple products come with first-rate customer care.
When I couldn't get my Canon camera to link up properly over WiFi with
my new iMac, no matter what I did, I called AppleCare and the case was
assigned to one of its contract developers, who made some suggestions
and when they didn't work, he escalated it to a workgroup, a member of
whom called me and emailed a utility to me that Apple has to download
and transmit certain files from my machine. It took two days for the
tech to get back to me with a file he emailed and I loaded. Solved the
problem.

But, of course, Windows XP is sooooo much mo'betta, and so is the highly
touted Microsoft support, so long as you want to deal with guys whose
first and second languages ain't English and whose ultimate answer
usually is, "Well, just reload windows."

Have a nice day.

Now, I know the great Windoze gurus here could have solved the problem
as easily as a roomful of monkeys sitting at typewriters could write
Joyce's Ulysses, right, because the gurus here are so up to date and
experienced in coding contemporary software that interfaces with Apple's
OS. Right?

--
Sarah Palin is watching the Sochi Olympic Games from the front porch of
her house.

On 2/11/2014 6:55 AM, F.O.A.D. wrote:
Now, I know the great Windoze gurus here could have solved the problem
as easily as a roomful of monkeys sitting at typewriters could write
Joyce's Ulysses, right, because the gurus here are so up to date and
experienced in coding contemporary software that interfaces with Apple's
OS. Right?

--
Sarah Palin is watching the Sochi Olympic Games from the front porch of
her house.

You are such an asshat. Remember that name given to you by the moderator
of Maryland Shooters forum. Did you ever get reinstated after they so
hastily booted you off? Moderated forums, gotta love em.

In article , says...

[...]

Sounds like a real cluster**** - tech support emailing a "fix" for a
problem.
You're missing the point being made.
Most likely Canon provided Microsoft with drivers that work.
Those driver are included in Win 7.
Or the drivers that came with the camera work on Win 7.
XP is old. Hell, Win 7 is about 5 years old.
I don't know why it should take a phone tech and then a "workgroup"
to make your camera properly work with your iMac.
The more you talk about "Applecare," the less attractive Apple seems to
me. All I'm hearing is "Applecare." That's tech support.
Most people don't enjoy calling tech support, under any names.