Default A real dirt bike...

On Wed, 12 Feb 2014 20:13:42 -0500, Earl__ wrote:

Mr. Luddite wrote:
On 2/12/2014 9:36 AM, KC wrote:
On 2/12/2014 9:17 AM, Mr. Luddite wrote:
On 2/12/2014 8:09 AM, Poco Loco wrote:
On Tue, 11 Feb 2014 20:27:03 -0500, Earl__ wrote:

Mr. Luddite wrote:
On 2/9/2014 6:25 PM, Poco Loco wrote:
On Sun, 9 Feb 2014 15:03:40 -0800 (PST), Tim
wrote:

On Sunday, February 9, 2014 4:30:04 PM UTC-6, John H. wrote:
On Sun, 9 Feb 2014 13:31:40 -0800 (PST), Tim

wrote:

On Sunday, February 9, 2014 7:31:31 AM UTC-6, F.O.A.D. wrote:

I'd love to have one of these...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7mTwM7afQA

how about something like this?

http://thekneeslider.com/1937-front-...cle-prototype/

Looks like something Moto Guzzi made during the war.

"Goose" probably tries something like that too, but this is
French,
and the French at that time were known to be great tinkerers, with
results to match.

Yeah, I should have said it looks like something Guzzi *could* have
made during the war. Something
like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cOlS_ShXf4

Here's an idea for Scott: (warning - contains boating content)

http://www.elrellano.com/videos_online/8146/barca-a-motor.html

No steering unless that rowboat has a bow thruster.

That boat is a high technology marvel incorporating 'eyeball
sensormatic rotational assist'. Where
you look is where you go. A sign on the bow says, "Don't look at women
when operating this vessel."

Sometimes the sign gets torn away.

When I was a kid I had a 12' aluminum boat with a little 3hp outboard.
I'd tighten the tension on the steering so the motor wouldn't move, sit
in the middle seat and steer just by leaning towards one side or the
other. Worked fine in large ponds.

Somebody said "like a motorcycle"... But if you simply lean a motorcycle
and don't turn the wheel, it will still go straight... Just sayin'.

No, you have to tip the boat. Speaking of motorcycles, ever try this?

Ride going straight ahead and push your *left* handlebar forward
gently and see which way you turn. Then try with the *right* handlebar.

That only works at higher speeds and I was taught how to ride that way.
It was difficult to do at first since it didn't make sense. BTW - VERY
gently - just a bit of pressure.

Any speed over about 15 mph should show the same result.

Poco Loco wrote:
On Wed, 12 Feb 2014 15:02:44 -0800, Bill McKee wrote:

On 2/12/14, 2:09 PM, Poco Loco wrote:
On Wed, 12 Feb 2014 16:21:26 -0500, KC wrote:

On 2/12/2014 3:52 PM, Poco Loco wrote:
On Wed, 12 Feb 2014 15:15:41 -0500, KC wrote:

On 2/12/2014 12:35 PM, Poco Loco wrote:
On Wed, 12 Feb 2014 11:44:07 -0500, KC wrote:

On 2/12/2014 11:20 AM, Poco Loco wrote:
On Wed, 12 Feb 2014 10:33:01 -0500, KC wrote:

On 2/12/2014 10:06 AM, Mr. Luddite wrote:
On 2/12/2014 9:42 AM, Poco Loco wrote:
On Wed, 12 Feb 2014 09:06:41 -0500, BAR wrote:

In article ,
__ says...

wrote:

On Sunday, February 9, 2014 7:31:31 AM UTC-6, F.O.A.D. wrote:

I'd love to have one of these...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7mTwM7afQA

how about something like this?

http://thekneeslider.com/1937-front-...cle-prototype/

Looks like something Moto Guzzi made during the war.

"Goose" probably tries something like that too, but this is French,
and the French at that time were known to be great tinkerers, with
results to match.

Yeah, I should have said it looks like something Guzzi *could* have
made during the war. Something
like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cOlS_ShXf4

Here's an idea for Scott: (warning - contains boating content)

http://www.elrellano.com/videos_online/8146/barca-a-motor.html

No steering unless that rowboat has a bow thruster.

Just like a motor cycle, you just lean into the turn to make it go
that way.

No, leaning doesn't make it turn. Leaning enables the motorcycle to be
kept more vertical when
turning. Pushing on the handlebar makes you turn. Push left, go left.
Push right, go right.
Countersteering.

Heh. I just mentioned to Scott about that. Those who don't ride will
think it's weird. They think it should turn like a car.

Yes, counter steering but again, it's not the fastest way around the
corner

It's the only way around the corner, at speed, on a motorcycle.

I am beating myself up and I can't think of any place on the track where
counter steering is faster...

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10202016412913497&set=a.10202016402 113227.1073741828.1281248494&type=3&theater

Here is Jess setting up for a corner... notice she is turning left, and
her bars are slightly left.. If she let her back tire slide out more
(blowing the corner) the bike would have to stand back up and the back
tire come back in line to get out of the corner... don't know if that
makes any sense. I have a video I could find later of two riders me and
Jess study. One came though the corner right (her mentor) and the guy
behind counter steered through and lost two seconds in the corner...

Letting the back tire 'slide out more' is not a method of riding
for anyone but dirt bikers. When
she initiated the turn to the left, she did it by pushing on the
left bar or pulling on the right
bar. Once the bike started leaning (and turning) she can slide all she wants.

I think what she is doing in the picture is coming out of a turn.
So she's pushing on the right bar
to straighten the bike up (or pulling on the left bar). Looking at
the tracks in the dirt also shows
that she's through the turn.

That picture is in the first 30 feet of the turn.. and no. She doesn't
have to push the left down to initiate the turn. Some turns she comes
into airborne and she already has the bars turned in the direction of
the turn... I see completely what you guys are talking about. I have had
a mc licence since '76 and always thought that way... Until I started
training Jess. She comes into a corner and throws her weight over the
bike.. but pushes both bars down... the outside bar further... never the
inside bar, never let that rear tire get outside of the radius of the
front tire...... Just the way it is. Again, if she pushes down on the
inside bar, the rear tire kicks outside the radius of the inside tire.
now you have thrust pushing askew from the direction of the bike... we
calle it "wash out" or "blowing the berm".. draw it out, put arrows for
thrust.. You will see...

Uh-huh. I just hope Jess, while on pavement going at speed, doesn't
ever push left to go right.
Something will get broke.

OK, let's go from there.. When you are countersteering on the street, by
design the thrust of the rear tire and front tire are not in sync with
the direction of the turn.. So which tire do you slide?

When I am on the street, I do everything in my power *not* to slide!

When I still had my bike, I slid both tires. Recovered before the
incidence went into disaster. Problem with need for speed and backroads.

I slid the front tire once. Scared the **** out of me (almost literally),
but I let off the brake
quick enough to not go down. Back tire slides aren't that bad if you let
it bring you to a stop.
It's when you get scared while sliding and let off the brake that you
stand a good chance of 'high
siding' and going down.

I was going way to fast for the road! Kawasaki 350 2 stroke. rotary
Valve. Next model up was the Green streak. 90 degree turn, trees on the
outside. I had the bike over to the foot pegs and sliding. Missed the
outside edge of the road by maybe an inch. Kenny Roberts could not have
done better!
KC KC is offline

On 2/12/2014 8:01 PM, Poco Loco wrote:
On Wed, 12 Feb 2014 17:40:16 -0500, KC wrote:

On 2/12/2014 5:17 PM, Poco Loco wrote:
On Wed, 12 Feb 2014 16:14:00 -0500, KC wrote:

On 2/12/2014 3:49 PM, Poco Loco wrote:
On Wed, 12 Feb 2014 15:05:39 -0500, KC wrote:

On 2/12/2014 2:47 PM, Poco Loco wrote:
On Wed, 12 Feb 2014 13:59:51 -0500, HanK wrote:

On 2/12/2014 11:37 AM, KC wrote:
On 2/12/2014 11:23 AM, HanK wrote:
On 2/12/2014 10:40 AM, KC wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Yeah, that's how she takes every turn... Reverse steer. Add in breaking
loose the rear tire and you are starting to have some fun however, if
you do though, you are losing time going sideways instead of forward

Just reread that... I should say she counter steers when the suspension
or body position is off... But it's not the fastest way around the
track...

What is the fastest way around the track?

Ok, the fastest way involves being efficient in the corners. If you are
countersteering n a corner, you are standing the bike too high, and the
drive wheel is not taking the shortest distance around the corner. In
racing terms, you blew out the birm.. It's not efficient to have that
back tire way out there cause then it takes time to bring it back...

How can you be efficient in the corners?

Balance.. Keep both tires in as close to the same radius as the other.
You want the front tire pointing as close to the direction of thrust
from the rear tire as possible. If you are "countersteering" you are
losing forward thrust and burning off forward thrust...

Don't countersteer. Try turning the handlebars to the right next time you want to turn right. Do it
at about 50 mph.

Make sure your insurance is paid up.

Can I start to lean first? If so, no problem.. Again, we do not lead
with the front end of the bike... we steer with the rear end. The most
efficient use of the power is for the front and rear wheel to be lined
up, and the rear wheel tracking forward, not sideways... period... draw
it out, you understand how to sail, you can get this. Again,
countersteering is a common and useful tool, just not for us...

Like I say. Get on the street, about 30 mph (so no one dies) and push the right handlebar to make a
left turn. Let me know how it works out.

How would it work out. I lean left, and push the right bar... no problem

Let me know. Make sure you're clear to the right!

Oh my God....
KC KC is offline

On 2/12/2014 8:00 PM, Poco Loco wrote:
On Wed, 12 Feb 2014 17:27:26 -0500, "Mr. Luddite" wrote:

On 2/12/2014 5:16 PM, Poco Loco wrote:
On Wed, 12 Feb 2014 13:57:17 -0800, Bill McKee wrote:

On 2/12/14, 1:46 PM, KC wrote:
On 2/12/2014 4:37 PM, Mr. Luddite wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Geeze. I'll never enjoy a warm summer evening cruise down to the Cape
again. :-)

Sure you will. Like you said you are not racing... I said before I get
the whole thing about getting into a corner and even counter steering.
The looser you are, the more you do it too.... but it's still not the
most efficient way to make a corner...

You guys are all supposed to be sailors.. Draw the thing out and draw
out the thrust and resistance lines... you will see what I am talking
about...

Anyway, I have a good drawing that I can put up later. For now I will
say there are a couple other things we do to make the bike corner
better. One in particular is to gently pull the front brake in and dip
the front end which shortens the turning radius and increases the angle
of the front suspension more upright to turn.. (more like a tricycle)...
Even dipping the front end a couple inches reduces the bike length by as
much as an inch and can change the rake of the front end 8-10 degrees...

But again, you are not racing. If I was you I would be countersteering
all the way to the beach. I know how good it feels and I wouldn't be
"racing" on the street anyway

Phew. I was getting worried there. It's sorta hard to steer a 850lb
Harley with the back tire. Even if I could, it would probably be the
last turn I ever made.

Yup... Imagine so. I had times where I slid my Honda into a countersteer
slide when I was younger. Never intentionally though It was half the
weight of your bike too...
Hell, no wonder I did not win every race with my Vette. I was drifting
corners at times. The old Laguna Course, turn 2 was always able to go
faster than you figured as the apex of the corner started up hill.
highspeed turn and you drifted it at about 130 mph.

This countersteering applies only to two wheel, single track vehicles!

This discussion is heading back to the debate we had a while back about
traction and what can take a corner faster ... a four wheeled car or a
motorcycle.

The "rolling cone" analogy Bill brought up applies to four wheeled
vehicles where the outside wheels have to turn faster than the inside
wheels in a turn. Really doesn't apply to a two wheeled motorcycle.

The other thing is that Scott's style and techniques used in moto-cross
racing has little to do with riding a street bike down a winding country
road.

Nope, go to the link I posted and show me which street bike is
countersteering there... none of them are.. cause it's faster to track
the turn, than drift it....

Amen, to both. My brother, Jim, a former motorcycle cop, will tell you that on city streets the car
will win - especially if someone has their sprinkler spraying the road!! He lost a Yamaha police
bike that way. But, he said the car was gaining anyway. The radio had alerted enough cops to catch
the guy though.

KC KC is offline

F.O.A.D. wrote:

[...]

OK, John. Try this... Go down the road... and push your right bar
down... of course make sure you are clear to the right... Then go down
the same road, lean to the left and push down that right bar, and make
sure you are clear to the left... do you get that, cause if you don't
there is no helping it...

[...]

You're still here, must've done something right!

[...]

Really fast guardian angel.

wrote:

[...]

That's what I meant. When you are crawling along at bicycle speeds you
steer accordingly.

Summer Leftovers- Dirt Cheep Paul McGrane Tall Ship Photos 0 February 19th 12 04:28 PM
Dumber than dirt X ~ Man General 46 August 23rd 11 03:00 PM
To corporate America, life is dirt cheap Harryk General 9 June 30th 11 11:05 AM
sea scooter, e-scooter, golf car, pocket bike, dirt bike, electric vehicle, atv... [email protected] Cruising 0 January 20th 06 03:17 PM
Vendee Globe virtual following in real time and real winds Hervé Le Cornec Cruising 0 October 27th 04 12:10 PM