Calif Bill

Default Engine Hesitation During Hole Shot

Check that the throttle pump is working well, and if it is check the timing.
Bill

"Michael McKnight" wrote in message
om...
Greetings!

I have a 1990 SeaRay 160 with an Alpha 3.0L 130HP I/O. The engine
seems to rev fine when not in gear but under load I get hesitation. I
push the throttle all the way down and I don't get any sputtering but
the engine will kind of lull for a few moments and then start to rev
up.

I have done what little checking I know how to do. I have taken out
the plugs and inspected them and they all seem fine except for number
2 which has, what I would consider, excessive carbon build-up. I have
not check compression or anything else really as I do not have the
proper tools.

I know this is probably a little vague but I hope someone can help me
out here. I am certainly not opposed to do anything I can myself
before taking it into the shop which is about a 2 month wait!

Is the carbon build-up something to be overly concerned about? The
boat is not used all that often, maybe once a week for a couple of
hours.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Mike

N.L. Eckert

Mike wrote:
[...]
==================================
This could be a weak set of breaker points. I had this problem with my
1988 5.0 OMC a few years ago. Turned out to be a cheap point set. I
couldn't find the marine points when I was tuning up, so I used a set of
generic points. Bad idea!! The spring is no where near as strong as
the proper points. The weak spting allows the points to "flap" a bit.
So when I replaced with Borg-Warner points, the boat almost leaped out
of the water. I just did a complete tune up using OMC points,
condenser, cap, rotor and new Champion plugs. The boat has never ran
better. Its purring like a kitten,,,, (now if I could just get it
purr like a boat.....:-)
========
Norm

Calif Bill wrote:
: Check that the throttle pump is working well, and if it is check the timing.
: Bill

Good advice.

I had the same problem on a 3.8L OMC. Throttle pump but when I asked the
repair guy what could cause it, he also mentioned timing.

The MTBE in gas doesn't like throttle pumps a whole lot.

b.