Default On a lighter note ....

http://www.wimp.com/singssnow/
KC KC is offline

On 12/23/2013 3:55 PM, Mr. Luddite wrote:

http://www.wimp.com/singssnow/

Wow, lot of frekin' work there....

On 12/23/13, 4:04 PM, wrote:
On Mon, 23 Dec 2013 15:55:52 -0500, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

http://www.wimp.com/singssnow/

One for Harry and his atheist friends

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmaMfXwlq90

Only one of my friends is an atheist. I'm not an atheist. Perhaps in
your retirement you might consider taking a reading for comprehension
course, since I have stated here many times I am an agnostic. Or is it
you don't know the difference between atheist and agnostic? That's it,
isn't it?

--
Religion: together we can find the cure.

wrote:

http://www.wimp.com/singssnow/

One for Harry and his atheist friends

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmaMfXwlq90

Only one of my friends is an atheist. I'm not an atheist. Perhaps in
your retirement you might consider taking a reading for comprehension
course, since I have stated here many times I am an agnostic. Or is it
you don't know the difference between atheist and agnostic? That's it,
isn't it?

Your're all grown up now. Make up your mind already.

--
Americans deserve better.

On 12/23/13, 5:31 PM, wrote:
On Mon, 23 Dec 2013 17:05:45 -0500, "F.O.A.D." wrote:

Or is it
you don't know the difference between atheist and agnostic? That's it,
isn't it?

You are actually a jew in denial from what I can tell but the
difference is pretty much semantic.

Ha. "From what you can tell" is...as usual...wrong.

I grew up in a city dominated by Roman Catholics and Jews, and most of
my friends were one or the other. Also, my wife got her doctorate at The
Catholic University of America, which she chose because it has the best
graduate school of social work in the D.C-Baltimore area for her area of
concentration. I spent many hours at CUA while she was at classes and
seminars, usually in the library working on stuff for my work, or in the
student lounge, chatting with priests. There are a lot of Catholic
institutions in the immediate area and therefore a lot of priests.

I learned a lot about the culture of Catholics and Jews in my lifetime,
and I also know quite a bit about Episcopalians, having had one as a
college roomie who was preparing for the priesthood.

Unfortunately, when we lived in the south, most of the "religion" I was
exposed to directly and indirectly was of the southern baptist variety.

I detect some sort of slam in your comment about Jews. Perhaps you'd
care to expand on the phrase "...the difference is pretty much
semantic," since I am not sure what you mean. Do you know what you mean?

On Mon, 23 Dec 2013 17:48:25 -0500, "F.O.A.D." wrote:

On 12/23/13, 5:31 PM, wrote:
[...]

Wow. That is impressive. Let's check how impressed everyone is:

http://tinyurl.com/nmjrg7e

John H. -- Hope you're having a great day!

On 12/23/13, 8:35 PM, wrote:
On Mon, 23 Dec 2013 17:48:25 -0500, "F.O.A.D." wrote:

I detect some sort of slam in your comment about Jews. Perhaps you'd
care to expand on the phrase "...the difference is pretty much
semantic," since I am not sure what you mean. Do you know what you mean?

Not meant as a slam, simply an observation. Most
agnostic/atheist/nihalist type folks I know have come from a mixed
Jewish/Catholic background.
Bill Maher is a classic case in the celebrity world.

The difference between atheists and agnostics is mostly semantics.
An agnostic is just an atheist who is not willing to commit.
You have committed, you ridicule anyone who believes in any kind if
deity or any religious belief so you are not agnostic.

I only know one atheist. Among the handful of agnostics I know
personally, one was Jewish and the other four or five were Protestants.

Your understanding of the difference between atheists and agnostics
is...humorous. An atheist denies or disbelieves the existence of a god.
An agnostic believes the existence of a god is unknown and unknowable.
Perhaps in your mind that means agnostics are "unwilling to commit," but
the differences are far more complicated. You'd have to have taken a
number of liberal arts courses to know that, of course.

You're also wrong about what you think I believe. My problem is not
whether there is or is not a creator. I don't know the answer to that,
and I never will. My problem is with "organized" religion, which I think
is pretty much a crock...especially the more fundamentalist, right-wing
Protestant sects, which are loud, doctrinaire, and judgmental, and want
to force their beliefs onto everyone.

--
Religion: together we can find the cure.

On 12/24/13, 12:11 AM, wrote:
On Mon, 23 Dec 2013 21:26:05 -0500, "F.O.A.D." wrote:

On 12/23/13, 8:35 PM,
wrote:
[...]

I agree with you on "brand loyalty" but I do not have the disrespect
bordering on outright hatred you have for people who do believe.
You represent yourself as agnostic but your statements here are
straight out of the atheist handbook.

I've not read the "atheist handbook." Which edition do you recommend?

On 12/23/2013 8:35 PM, wrote:
On Mon, 23 Dec 2013 17:48:25 -0500, "F.O.A.D." wrote:

I detect some sort of slam in your comment about Jews. Perhaps you'd
care to expand on the phrase "...the difference is pretty much
semantic," since I am not sure what you mean. Do you know what you mean?

Not meant as a slam, simply an observation. Most
agnostic/atheist/nihalist type folks I know have come from a mixed
Jewish/Catholic background.
Bill Maher is a classic case in the celebrity world.

The difference between atheists and agnostics is mostly semantics.
An agnostic is just an atheist who is not willing to commit.
You have committed, you ridicule anyone who believes in any kind if
deity or any religious belief so you are not agnostic.

Harry strikes me more as being "irreligious". Being irreligious can
include being agnostic, but it may also include having a degree of
hostility towards religious beliefs as he has often demonstrated in this
newsgroup. To me that's a little arrogant, since he calls himself an
"agnostic" which simply means he doesn't know.

Religion really has it's roots going back to primitive man. Early
humans were individually no match for wild animals or the vigor's of
climate and weather. They found that by banding together in tribes the
chances of survival increased. Over time each tribe developed
traditions or ways of living. The traditions took on a spiritual
nature in time and conflicts with other tribes with different beliefs
and ways developed.

In many ways, things haven't changed much.

We like to think we live in a world where we can choose our level of
autonomy. TV, computers, cars, supermarkets and money give us the
illusion of being capable of complete self-sufficient without much
support or help from our fellow man. That is, until some natural
disaster wipes out all the comfortable cushions or a modern foreign
"tribe" comes along and attempts to wipe you out. Then, like our
primitive ancestors, we will band together again with a common cause
and common "beliefs".

Until then, it's just too convenient, easy and safe to bitch, complain
and criticize those who happen to *have* faith in something.

On a serious note Capt. Rob ASA 41 July 4th 07 01:55 PM
On another note.... Capt. Rob ASA 18 February 14th 06 12:37 AM
OT : On the lighter side - well worth the look (for guys ) Short Wave Sportfishing General 3 March 25th 05 02:07 PM
OT : On the lighter side - well worth the look (for guys ) [email protected] General 0 March 24th 05 12:57 AM
Note to Bob Scott Vernon ASA 2 July 18th 03 04:59 AM