Michael Hobbs

Default Walker Bay Pram, advice request

I am interested in a pram to use in an inland lake bay, and to go to my
sailboat. I have been looking at the walker bay pram for quite awhile. My
dealer, the local west marine, says that they are unstable and I should
prepare to go swimming. Does anyone have any comment? They have none of
these boats in stock so I can look at them.

--

Remove X's to reply
Michael Hobbs

sailing fan

Last year I had the chance to sail on a 10' "Original" model, went out
for about 3 hours on the Hudson River in the Saugerties/Malden area and
across the river to the Clermont State Historic Site and down to Tivoli
before returning.
Rode the wake of multiple tankers and tugs pushing 10-12+ barges, no
problems, not for a boat with about 12" of freeboard.
I've been to the same area with a home made 9'6" Nutshell Pram (my 1st
boat) and plan to return to the area soon with my next home made, a V12
dingy, plans from bateau.com, that is about 2/3's complete.
Some people swear that the 12' aluminum jon is steady. I've seen more
than one pitch right over.
As with anything, your milage may vary. I'm really good with tiny
sailboats. Put me on something with a motor, and I promise you, there
will be problems.

Michael Hobbs wrote:
I should say that I am interested in the 10' model

"Michael Hobbs" wrote in message

I am interested in a pram to use in an inland lake bay, and to go to my
sailboat. I have been looking at the walker bay pram for quite awhile. My
dealer, the local west marine, says that they are unstable and I should
prepare to go swimming. Does anyone have any comment? They have none of
these boats in stock so I can look at them.

--

Remove X's to reply
Michael Hobbs
Minneapolis, Minnesota

nova

I've used an 8foot Walker Bay with a 3hp obm. Its very very tender (may be
that's why its called a yacht tender) anyway, you have to get in and out
very carefully otherwise you go swimming. Now Walker Bay sells buoyancy tube
which can be added to the gunwhale. This I suppose helps when the boat tips.
Check out http://www.walkerbay.com/

Michael Hobbs wrote:
I should say that I am interested in the 10' model

"Michael Hobbs" wrote in message

I am interested in a pram to use in an inland lake bay, and to go to my
sailboat. I have been looking at the walker bay pram for quite awhile.

My
dealer, the local west marine, says that they are unstable and I should
prepare to go swimming. Does anyone have any comment? They have none of
these boats in stock so I can look at them.

--

Remove X's to reply
Michael Hobbs
Minneapolis, Minnesota

Danny

We have a 8' as our tender and it BARELY accommodates my wife and I. It
would be easy to swamp when we go out together. And we do so frequently. One
needs to be very careful boarding and getting off.
But, that said, we love it. It doesn't mark the hull of our sailboat in the
night when it nuzzles up against us. And either of us can lift it onto the
foredeck if needed. It is a blast to row around and explore a bay once we've
dropped the hook for the night.
It's only a few hundred bucks which means we worry less about theft and
loss. We have gone through other inflatable, hard shells and the like. I'm a
Walker Bay man myself.

Advice Wanted Chris Boat Building 0 June 20th 04 12:26 PM
Advice Shrory General 2 February 18th 04 06:50 PM
Any advice for first-time gulf sailors? Rob Laymon General 5 January 3rd 04 04:56 AM
Sage restoration advice wanted (osmosis) Angus Gratton General 4 November 14th 03 06:04 PM
Advice on sailing courses in the Whitsunday Islands, Australia skunk.co.uk Cruising 4 July 26th 03 11:58 AM