Default After a couple of years...

....the battery in my diver's watch died, so I took it to the watch guy I
trust and he told me I'd have to send it off because of the way it was
sealed, the special gaskets, and some kind of vacuum tool needed to
reseal it.

Sheesh.

So I sent it off to the manufacturer's repair shop in Rhode Island, and
the estimate came back for close to $100. To replace a watch battery.
That probably wholesaled for $3.00. The actual price turned out to be
$96 and it took a month.

http://tinyurl.com/ma8t2ju

On Tuesday, 8 October 2013 22:52:54 UTC-3, F.O.A.D. wrote:
...the battery in my diver's watch died, so I took it to the watch guy I

trust and he told me I'd have to send it off because of the way it was

sealed, the special gaskets, and some kind of vacuum tool needed to

reseal it.

Sheesh.

So I sent it off to the manufacturer's repair shop in Rhode Island, and

the estimate came back for close to $100. To replace a watch battery.

That probably wholesaled for $3.00. The actual price turned out to be

$96 and it took a month.

http://tinyurl.com/ma8t2ju

I just had the battery replaced in my Swiss Army Titanium watch and felt cheated when the jeweler's repair guy charged $22.00.
Mine is a screw off too with O gaskets that I wanted intact.
Seems to me that my Virgin Island buddy has a local guy service his dive watch when he's in Halifax.
This 'local guy' also services a couple of Halifax landmarks...such as the Town Clock on Citadel Hill and an old military clock on the waterfront.

True North wrote:
[...]

Damn. My Sagen titanium had a bad catch on the band. For $36 and shipping,
they fix everything. Including the band and clean the watch and new
battery. I think it is only good to 160'.
Banned

I waxed the Bentley today......

Did the owner tip you well for the waxing...or did you screw that up too?

About three years ago, when I had the previous battery installed, I let them talk me into a full cleaning and oiling etc for my Swiss Army Titanium. Bill came to around $130.00 including tax.
I received the watch from my wife As a Christmas present 1999.

On 10/9/13 7:09 AM, True North wrote:
About three years ago, when I had the previous battery installed, I let them talk me into a full cleaning and oiling etc for my Swiss Army Titanium. Bill came to around $130.00 including tax.
I received the watch from my wife As a Christmas present 1999.

I got the dusting and cleaning with the battery, too. Still seems
awfully pricey to me.

On Wednesday, October 9, 2013 6:44:18 AM UTC-5, F.O.A.D. wrote:
On 10/9/13 7:09 AM, True North wrote:

About three years ago, when I had the previous battery installed, I let them talk me into a full cleaning and oiling etc for my Swiss Army Titanium. Bill came to around $130.00 including tax.

I received the watch from my wife As a Christmas present 1999.

I got the dusting and cleaning with the battery, too. Still seems

awfully pricey to me.

Yeah Krausie, I guess anything over 99 cents would be "pricey" for a bankrupt with tax liens, eh?

On Tue, 08 Oct 2013 21:52:54 -0400, "F.O.A.D." wrote:

...the battery in my diver's watch died, so I took it to the watch guy I
trust and he told me I'd have to send it off because of the way it was
sealed, the special gaskets, and some kind of vacuum tool needed to
reseal it.

Sheesh.

So I sent it off to the manufacturer's repair shop in Rhode Island, and
the estimate came back for close to $100. To replace a watch battery.
That probably wholesaled for $3.00. The actual price turned out to be
$96 and it took a month.

http://tinyurl.com/ma8t2ju

Given the amount of diving you do from that new twin-engine, diesel-powered, Volvo driven slow
trawler you've 'got', you could have simply replaced the battery for $15.
--

John H.

Hope you're having a great day!

John H wrote:
On Tue, 08 Oct 2013 21:52:54 -0400, "F.O.A.D." wrote:

...the battery in my diver's watch died, so I took it to the watch guy I
trust and he told me I'd have to send it off because of the way it was
sealed, the special gaskets, and some kind of vacuum tool needed to
reseal it.

Sheesh.

So I sent it off to the manufacturer's repair shop in Rhode Island, and
the estimate came back for close to $100. To replace a watch battery.
That probably wholesaled for $3.00. The actual price turned out to be
$96 and it took a month.

http://tinyurl.com/ma8t2ju

Given the amount of diving you do from that new twin-engine,
diesel-powered, Volvo driven slow
trawler you've 'got', you could have simply replaced the battery for $15.

Could have bought a new digital watch for $5.

A couple questions... GuzzisRule General 7 December 9th 12 03:30 PM
A sensible couple... YukonBound General 3 July 28th 10 01:05 AM
A couple more of Hawaii... JohnH General 9 August 30th 06 08:28 PM
A couple of questions. Rudy General 1 December 12th 03 04:23 AM
A couple new pictures . . . Simple Simon ASA 46 October 9th 03 04:14 AM