Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Rudy

Default A couple of questions.

I have a friend that is sailing solo from Northern Oregon to South
America in a single passage of approx. 70 days. So far, he has completed
one third of the journey. I am keeping track of his progress by logging
the position that he sends regularly via radio-email. I have a couple of
question to ask, for I am not a sailor.
1. I have calculated that he is currently averaging +4.61% extra
distance from the theoretical shortest route (using the great circle).
How this does compare with what is considered typical on long distances
for a sail boat?
2. He is averaging 4 nautical miles per hour. Is this typical for a Hans
Christian 43?
Thank you very much.
--
Rudy