Ronald Mcdonald

Default Is new round-the-world record sailing's greatest feat?

Francis Joyon's new solo round-the-world record of 73 days is being
hailed as one of the greatest feats in the history of sailing.

Would you say its sailings greatest feat?
Wim

"Would you say its sailings greatest feat?"

Explorer Shackleton's rescue journey could be one of them !
c ya Wim
www.cruising.ca/thousand/f-index.html

"Ronald Mcdonald" wrote in message
om...
: Francis Joyon's new solo round-the-world record of 73 days is being
: hailed as one of the greatest feats in the history of sailing.
:
: Would you say its sailings greatest feat?

Michael

'One of' but not 'The Greatest'. How, for example, would you average out
the differences in equipment, medicines, food preservation, etc. ad
infinitum from an open row boat with sails (Vikings) to today's modern
equipment. Or the cost of the venture compared to that spent by Slocum? I
think I prefer to put all of them in that 'Greatest Feat' category and not
try to go much further.

"paul cooke" wrote in message
Wim wrote:

"Would you say its sailings greatest feat?"

Explorer Shackleton's rescue journey could be one of them !
c ya Wim
www.cruising.ca/thousand/f-index.html

Captain William Bligh's (of Bounty fame) voyage after being chucked off

his
ship is also a major feat of seamanship...

http://home.att.net/~elements.of.motivation/bounty.html
|As a result, everything went wrong. The crew finally had enough,

mutinied,
|and cast Captain Bligh and eighteen crew members adrift in a lifeboat.
|Without charts or navigation instruments, they sailed the open boat 3,600
|miles to the Dutch colony, Timor, near Java.

18 men for the majority of the voyage... (one was killed by natives when
they attempted to land on an island) they started with food and drink for
just five days and had to make it last 48...

--
COMPUTER POWER TO THE PEOPLE! DOWN WITH CYBERCRUD!