Andrea

Default 24-hour World Record Attempt on Peace River

http://www.wetdawg.com/pages/touring/peace/index.html
Bill Tuthill

Andrea wrote:
http://www.wetdawg.com/pages/touring/peace/index.html

Previous record:

349 kilometers (217 miles) in 24 hours
Yukon River, Canada

Described attempt:

275 kilometers (171 miles) in 24 hours
Peace River, Canada
reason for failure IMO: sore shoulder from too much training

Fred Klingener

"Bill Tuthill" wrote in message
Andrea wrote:
http://www.wetdawg.com/pages/touring/peace/index.html

Previous record:

349 kilometers (217 miles) in 24 hours
Yukon River, Canada

Described attempt:

275 kilometers (171 miles) in 24 hours
Peace River, Canada
reason for failure IMO: sore shoulder from too much training

Thing that got me was that the Peace is a wonderful river, and it seems to
me a terrible shame to turn a trip through that section into a race. Put
all the training effort and support into a trip all the way to Lake
Athabaska.

The finishing time for this year's 742km Yukon River Quest (Whitehorses to
Dawson) was just a hair over 55 hours for a tandem canoe, this with a
mandatory 8 hr layover in Carmacks. It works out to 323 km/24 total hr
average and 378 km / 24 running hr average. The first solo kayak finshed
about two hours later at 56:54 (about 365 km per 24 running hours).

If I wanted to ruin a river trip by racing, I'd certainly do it on the
Yukon. If I were after a record, I do it a little earlier in the year too.
Dodging the logs would keep me awake and alert.

Just my take,
Fred Klingener

Paul Skoczylas

"Fred Klingener" wrote:
Thing that got me was that the Peace is a wonderful river, and it seems to
me a terrible shame to turn a trip through that section into a race. Put
all the training effort and support into a trip all the way to Lake
Athabaska.

On the Provincial Base Map hanging on my office wall, it appears that the
Peace River never flows into Lake Athabasca. Rather, it flows into the
Slave River about twenty-five miles downstream from Lake Athabasca. I have
no idea how fast the Slave is there, but I don't know if I'd want to paddle
that 25 miles upstream... (The Base Map, which doesn't show much in the way
of features, does mark one rapid on that section of the Slave.)

-Paul

Fred Klingener

"Paul Skoczylas" wrote in message
newsvMzb.9517$d35.2164@edtnps84...
"Fred Klingener" wrote:
Thing that got me was that the Peace is a wonderful river, and it seems

me a terrible shame to turn a trip through that section into a race.

Put
all the training effort and support into a trip all the way to Lake
Athabaska.

On the Provincial Base Map hanging on my office wall, it appears that the
Peace River never flows into Lake Athabasca. Rather, it flows into the
Slave River about twenty-five miles downstream from Lake Athabasca.

Sure. Your wall map is a lot finer grained than the brain-map I was using
:-) It's kind of a moot gotcha, though, because there's no (road) take-out
on Lake Athabasca. You'd probably want to take out at Peace Point.

According to things I've read, the Peace/Athabasca delta is a pretty nasty
place to be anyway. The dam at the headwaters scrambled the ecology of the
delta (yeah, 1000km away), and there are a bunch of weirs and diversions in
the braids, the ones that aren't jammed up with logs, to try to restore some
of the old flow patterns.

I have
no idea how fast the Slave is there, but I don't know if I'd want to

paddle
that 25 miles upstream... (The Base Map, which doesn't show much in the

way
of features, does mark one rapid on that section of the Slave.)

I think the Slave is passable up to Fort Fitzgerald, at which point you have
to get out and walk (or hitch hike) to Fort Smith. Or hire a local to take
you through.

Cabin fever dreaming already and it's only December...

Fred Klingener