Fred Klingener

Default 24-hour World Record Attempt on Peace River

"Bill Tuthill" wrote in message
Andrea wrote:
http://www.wetdawg.com/pages/touring/peace/index.html

Previous record:

349 kilometers (217 miles) in 24 hours
Yukon River, Canada

Described attempt:

275 kilometers (171 miles) in 24 hours
Peace River, Canada
reason for failure IMO: sore shoulder from too much training

Thing that got me was that the Peace is a wonderful river, and it seems to
me a terrible shame to turn a trip through that section into a race. Put
all the training effort and support into a trip all the way to Lake
Athabaska.

The finishing time for this year's 742km Yukon River Quest (Whitehorses to
Dawson) was just a hair over 55 hours for a tandem canoe, this with a
mandatory 8 hr layover in Carmacks. It works out to 323 km/24 total hr
average and 378 km / 24 running hr average. The first solo kayak finshed
about two hours later at 56:54 (about 365 km per 24 running hours).

If I wanted to ruin a river trip by racing, I'd certainly do it on the
Yukon. If I were after a record, I do it a little earlier in the year too.
Dodging the logs would keep me awake and alert.

Just my take,
Fred Klingener