Default Towing...

On 6/1/2013 2:26 PM, thumper wrote:
On 6/1/2013 9:59 AM, JustWaitAFrekinMinute wrote:

I have been talking to some truck guys around here and we are looking at
a 1500 Silverado four door with a 5.3...

I tow my 4500 lb boat with a 5.3L Suburban and while it does fine I
wouldn't want much more weight behind me. What is the trailer weight
and what kind of brakes does it have? Check what the vehicle is rated
to tow and leave some margin. Consider all the crap you load into it.

Yeah, the setup we are considering now is a 17 foot at 3200 pounds. That
leaves me almost 2000 pounds for crap...

On 6/1/2013 3:58 PM, JustWaitAFrekinMinute wrote:
On 6/1/2013 2:26 PM, thumper wrote:
On 6/1/2013 9:59 AM, JustWaitAFrekinMinute wrote:

I have been talking to some truck guys around here and we are looking at
a 1500 Silverado four door with a 5.3...

I tow my 4500 lb boat with a 5.3L Suburban and while it does fine I
wouldn't want much more weight behind me. What is the trailer weight
and what kind of brakes does it have? Check what the vehicle is rated
to tow and leave some margin. Consider all the crap you load into it.

Yeah, the setup we are considering now is a 17 foot at 3200 pounds. That
leaves me almost 2000 pounds for crap...

Just found this... Hummmmmm...

http://worcester.craigslist.org/cto/3781170945.html

On 6/1/13 10:17 AM, JustWaitAFrekinMinute wrote:
So a friend has a 36 foot fifth wheel camper. The thing is huge, my wife
loves it... the guy is offering it to us for a nominal number, probably
get it for about 15 hundred. It's relatively newer looking, everything
works, clean inside with one roof leak. New bearings, tires, etc.

But it's 36 frekin' feet! That of course means another vehicle, probably
a big diesel with dual rears??? The reason I put those three question
marks is I don't know what it means...

So, what do I need to tow something like that and my other question is
if I went with something 10 feet shorter (a 25-6 footer), would I be
able to downsize the tow vehicle enough to make a difference in initial
cost and gas mileage or with a 26 would I pretty much need the same
vehicle...

The end game here is getting the wife to go with us to races, and this
is the first camper she ever got in that she actually liked.. said she
would def go camping with us if we were in that...

We are looking at other campers today but for 1500, I don't think I am
gonna' find anything like it..

So my questions are all about trucks. Remember, this one is a fifth
wheel, so what do I need? What are my options.. Thanks.

I don't want to be accused of being helpful, so just pretend you didn't
see this, okay?

http://fifthwheelst.com/before_you_buy.htm

It's a site that will help you figure out what you need, and there's a
calculator available, too.

Shhhhhh.

Tim Tim is offline

On Jun 1, 9:39*am, "F.O.A.D." wrote:
[...]

OR... take note of what the majority of rigs that pull something like
that, and if possible ask drivers questions...

In article , says...

[...]

$1500 the thing MUST be garbage.

Tim Tim is offline

On Jun 1, 9:17*am, JustWaitAFrekinMinute
wrote:
[...]

Hey you found a live-in for the new property!

Seriously though, you don't need a duelie truck. Actually those things
can be a pain. But a 3/4 ton diesel would be a good choice, though.

"JustWaitAFrekinMinute" wrote in message

[...]

--------------------------------

You need to determine the trailer weight (loaded) and then find a
truck that is rated for it. I've forgotten all the details but it's
not as simple as just getting the trailer weight. The load capacity
of the truck factors into it also (passengers and cargo). 4x4's are
rated a bit lower than regular drives due to the extra weight of the
4x4 mechanical system. If you exceed the combined ratings and you
happen to have an accident or something you can be cited for being
overweight.

Another issue with fifth wheels: Depending on the bed size of the
truck, you may need a "sliding hitch". Full sized beds won't need
one but the shorter beds (often found on crew cabs) will need one.

We had a 37' fifth wheel "toy hauler" for a while. Back opened up as
a ramp to carry motorcycles, golf carts and things like that. Towed
it with a Ford F-350 Powerstroke diesel 4x4. I'd recommend a 4x4
even though many people disagree. It's nice to be able to put it in a
low gear ratio when maneuvering in tight spaces or backing up
inclines.

We used it exactly once. Spent the hottest week of the summer in New
Hampshire with humidity levels near 100 percent. Thunderstorms
everyday and giant mosquitoes. Decided camping wasn't our bag and
sold it.

"Eisboch" wrote in message

" I'd recommend a 4x4
even though many people disagree. It's nice to be able to put it in a
low gear ratio when maneuvering in tight spaces or backing up
inclines."

----------------

I always get that backwards. Low gear is a "high" gear ratio.

On 6/1/2013 1:11 PM, Eisboch wrote:

"Eisboch" wrote in message

" I'd recommend a 4x4
even though many people disagree. It's nice to be able to put it in a
low gear ratio when maneuvering in tight spaces or backing up
inclines."

I always get that backwards. Low gear is a "high" gear ratio.

yeah, it's weird.. I still mess that up when coaching kids.. up a gear,
down a gear.. etc...

Towing whitespc1 Cruising 14 July 4th 10 03:53 AM
How about this for towing? Joe Blizzard General 23 October 20th 05 03:53 PM
Towing Pete Tatro Cruising 7 October 3rd 04 01:25 AM
Towing iainii UK Power Boats 5 September 13th 04 09:50 PM
Towing- When to say no. Vito ASA 8 September 7th 04 03:17 PM