Brian

Default Raymarine ST1000 Plus Tiller Autopilot, Opinions please.

This is on sale and I was thinking about buying it. I have a Morgan 28OI.
Here is the link to the model and price.

http://www.sailnet.com/store/item.cfm?pid=15176

--
Brian McAloon
S/V CLIODHNA M28 OI

matt colie

Brian,
I count that as among the best investments I made for my S2-7.9.
A 79 has a large rudder and does not like to be tied down under power.
It has been used most while setting or clearing sail if I am alone
or my wife is along.
Then I set it up to listen to the GPS - Great idea - it goes TO the
waypoint. Then I connected the NMEA train together and now it will also
hold point of sail. This is all in the book.
Be careful that you get it set up like they say it should be and then go
out and do the calibration turns and you will be surprized how well it
steers.
Matt Colie A.Sloop "Bonne Ide'e" S2-7.9 #1
Lifelong Waterman, Licensed Mariner and Perpetual Sailor

Brian wrote:
This is on sale and I was thinking about buying it. I have a Morgan 28OI.
Here is the link to the model and price.

http://www.sailnet.com/store/item.cfm?pid=15176

--
Brian McAloon
S/V CLIODHNA M28 OI
Pompano Beach, Florida.

Steve

Check prices for the Raymarine ST1000 at www.eb4l.com. They deal mostly
with sailors and Sailboat outfitting!!

Garry Beattie

I use an ST1000 on my 7 metre and I love the thing.

I was told by plenty of other sailors that there is only a limited sailing
use for them. For example you can't use it going down wind with a swell or
going into the wind.
On the contrary, I have used my ST1000 in all sorts of wind conditions
without any problems at all. I love the thing and it has helped me
enormously on long distance hauls!
--
Garry Beattie
Ocean Spirit Trailer Sailer &

"Brian" wrote in message
et...
This is on sale and I was thinking about buying it. I have a Morgan 28OI.
Here is the link to the model and price.

http://www.sailnet.com/store/item.cfm?pid=15176

--
Brian McAloon
S/V CLIODHNA M28 OI
Pompano Beach, Florida.

Ferg

I have an earlier model, yet similiar, that I use on a Tartan 27.

It's very nice for dull motoring, and smooth sailing with balenced sails.

Rolling seas overwelm mine.

Perhaps the newer model has a faster correction.

It's still a great, well built product, but it's not perfect.

John.

"Brian" wrote in message
et...
This is on sale and I was thinking about buying it. I have a Morgan 28OI.
Here is the link to the model and price.

http://www.sailnet.com/store/item.cfm?pid=15176

--
Brian McAloon
S/V CLIODHNA M28 OI
Pompano Beach, Florida.

Greg

John,
I had one on a Catalina 22 that worked well. I did not use it in heavy
(choppy) seas. Perhaps the 27 is too large for the ST1000?
Greg
"Ferg" wrote in message
om...
I have an earlier model, yet similiar, that I use on a Tartan 27.

It's very nice for dull motoring, and smooth sailing with balenced sails.

Rolling seas overwelm mine.

Perhaps the newer model has a faster correction.

It's still a great, well built product, but it's not perfect.

John.

"Brian" wrote in message
et...
This is on sale and I was thinking about buying it. I have a Morgan

28OI.
Here is the link to the model and price.

http://www.sailnet.com/store/item.cfm?pid=15176

--
Brian McAloon
S/V CLIODHNA M28 OI
Pompano Beach, Florida.

Garry Beattie

I use my ST1000 on my 7 metre and it is brilliant.

I love it and would be without it.

I have used it going to wind, down wind and cross wind, in flat and moderate
seas and it works like a charm.

Mind you, our moderate seas would still be classed as flat seas just about
everywhere else. 2 metre seas are considered on the rough side here, inside
the Barrier Reef.

Best regards
--

"Greg" wrote in message
John,
I had one on a Catalina 22 that worked well. I did not use it in heavy
(choppy) seas. Perhaps the 27 is too large for the ST1000?
Greg
"Ferg" wrote in message
om...
I have an earlier model, yet similiar, that I use on a Tartan 27.

It's very nice for dull motoring, and smooth sailing with balenced

sails.

Rolling seas overwelm mine.

Perhaps the newer model has a faster correction.

It's still a great, well built product, but it's not perfect.

John.

"Brian" wrote in message
et...
This is on sale and I was thinking about buying it. I have a Morgan

28OI.
Here is the link to the model and price.

http://www.sailnet.com/store/item.cfm?pid=15176

--
Brian McAloon
S/V CLIODHNA M28 OI
Pompano Beach, Florida.

Ferg

"Greg" wrote in message
John,
I had one on a Catalina 22 that worked well. I did not use it in heavy
(choppy) seas. Perhaps the 27 is too large for the ST1000?

The tartan 27 has a full keel, and small rudder, so it comes around a bit
more slowly.

http://www.tartanowners.org/boatdata/T27d_ub.jpg

So you're probably right, but it works good enough not to spend money
replacing it.

I have a Catalina 22 as well, (actually, I want to sell it next spring). It
has a mount and plug for an autohelm, but I've never used my autohelm on it
before. Judging by the light, quick tiller response of the Catalina 22, I'm
sure the ST1000 would work much better.

On the flip side, the longer keeled boat is easier to balence and make sail
straight with just a lashed-down tiller.

John.

Raymarine SportPilot Plus autopilot - any comments on this unit. FMV Electronics 4 May 16th 04 04:09 AM
Raymarine C series Opinions doubleout Electronics 7 March 25th 04 09:04 AM
FS: NEW Raymarine depth sounder / fishfinder for sale with no reserve on eBay in Maryland Peter Kennedy Marketplace 0 March 13th 04 02:27 PM
Tiller control Parallax Cruising 12 October 17th 03 07:47 PM
Autopilot decision: Raymarine ST4000 vs Simrad 30 LaBomba182 Cruising 1 September 4th 03 03:32 PM