Default 'Rolling Thunder' is tomorrow.

Here's where I plan to be about 9:30. Hopefully the north Pentagon parking lot will not be filled by
then. This picture gives an idea of the bikes crammed into the lot. It fills well before noon, and
then the motorcycles start lining up down the HOV lanes of I-395. All this is for a ride of about
ten minutes! But, it's worth it.

http://tinyurl.com/qhtweuc

Here's the official Rolling Thunder site showing the route and many more photos.

http://rollingthunderrun.com/

So, I hope to run into the Ducati with the big guy thereon.

John H.
--

Hope you're having a great day!

"John H" wrote in message
news
Here's where I plan to be about 9:30. Hopefully the north Pentagon
parking lot will not be filled by
then. This picture gives an idea of the bikes crammed into the lot. It
fills well before noon, and
then the motorcycles start lining up down the HOV lanes of I-395. All
this is for a ride of about
ten minutes! But, it's worth it.

http://tinyurl.com/qhtweuc

Here's the official Rolling Thunder site showing the route and many
more photos.

http://rollingthunderrun.com/

So, I hope to run into the Ducati with the big guy thereon.

John H.

Ah, memories. I made the trip once, back in 2000. Good friend and
fellow Vet and I left MA at 5 am on Friday morning, he on his Harley
Road King and me on my new (at the time) Harley Ultra Classic. We
rode non stop (other than stopping for fuel and a quick lunch) to
Manassas, VA. We took the "inland" route, via I-84 and I-81 passing
through MA, NY, Penn and into VA and then Rt. 66 over to Manassas. A
little over 600 miles total. We got to the hotel in Manassas at about
3:30 pm, took a shower, had a few beers and hit the sack.

Saturday was spent meeting up with others from our area who made the
trip, a trip to the local Harley Dealer's open house followed by some
more beer drinking and general bull ****ting/reminiscing with friends.
Left the hotel early Sunday morning for the ride over to the Pentagon
parking lot. Our group was staged in an area that would mean we'd be
among the first to leave for the short ride over to the Potomac Park
area. My buddy and I were even interviewed by the local news station
and Mrs.E. and others back home saw us on TV. I'll never forget it.
I think that year there were about 300,000 bikes in the parking lot
by noontime when they started the procession. Bikes of all kinds and
types but the overwhelming majority were Harleys. At about 11:50
we heard one Harley fire up off in the distance. Then another and
another. In short order *all* the bikes were fired up. The sound of
that many motorcycles revving up all at once in the parking lot was
amazing, even with the vast size of the lot. At noon we started the
procession, two abreast, and through the unbelievable crowd of people
standing on the sides of the road, waving American flags and cheering.

After parking at Potomac Park, we made our way over to the wall for a
solemn visit. Spent the rest of the day watching all the festivities,
speeches and music. Even after being there for an hour or more the
bikes were still streaming in from the Pentagon parking lot.

I remember it was hot as hell that day and the traffic going back to
the hotel that evening was unreal. We left for MA Monday morning.
Rode in pouring rain for most of the trip home. If I were closer I'd
do it again but at least I can say I did it once in my life. Very
moving experience. Walked bowlegged for a few days after getting
home though.

Might be better to tow the bike to a more reasonable distance and then unload and ride the remainder.

"True North" wrote in message

Might be better to tow the bike to a more reasonable distance and then
unload and ride the remainder.

----------------------------------

Some do but the *real* deal is to ride from where ever you come from.
If I recall, they recognize the person or persons who rode the longest
distance to attend.

People sometimes associate "Rolling Thunder" with Vietnam Vets only.
It's not. "Rolling Thunder" originated as an advocacy group for the
MIA's of *all* wars. It was started in 1988.

On Sat, 25 May 2013 20:34:03 -0400, "Eisboch" wrote:

"True North" wrote in message

Might be better to tow the bike to a more reasonable distance and then
unload and ride the remainder.

----------------------------------

Some do but the *real* deal is to ride from where ever you come from.
If I recall, they recognize the person or persons who rode the longest
distance to attend.

People sometimes associate "Rolling Thunder" with Vietnam Vets only.
It's not. "Rolling Thunder" originated as an advocacy group for the
MIA's of *all* wars. It was started in 1988.

The 'real deal' is *always* to ride!

I've heard the biggest problem at Sturgis is where to park all the cars, trucks, and trailers
belonging to those who trailered their bikes to that rally.

John H.
--

Hope you're having a great day!

wrote in message ...

On Sat, 25 May 2013 17:22:46 -0400, John H
wrote:

Here's where I plan to be about 9:30. Hopefully the north Pentagon
parking lot will not be filled by
then. This picture gives an idea of the bikes crammed into the lot.
It fills well before noon, and
then the motorcycles start lining up down the HOV lanes of I-395. All
this is for a ride of about
ten minutes! But, it's worth it.

http://tinyurl.com/qhtweuc

Here's the official Rolling Thunder site showing the route and many
more photos.

http://rollingthunderrun.com/

So, I hope to run into the Ducati with the big guy thereon.

John H.

Comfort in a Pack Mentality?

Comradery Mentality. Something those without military experience may
not fully understand or appreciate.

Yo Thunder! JohnH[_5_] General 6 September 23rd 09 11:12 AM
Yo Thunder! John H[_2_] General 0 February 27th 09 12:38 PM
Yo!! Thunder... [email protected] General 71 November 20th 05 02:03 PM
Yo!! Thunder... *JimH* General 25 November 17th 05 12:18 AM
Yo!! Thunder... thunder General 0 November 16th 05 12:36 PM