Junior Member

Location: Ottawa
Default 1989 mercruiser 3.0 stalling after 30 min

1989 merc 3.0 starts fine, runs fine for about half an hour at any speed or rpm then starts to miss and will eventually stall. Fuel dripping from flame arrestor but only once rough running starts. Will sometimes restart after a few minutes and run ok other times will continue to run rough and stall.

Are there any members out there that might have some insight into what the problem might be?

"Rupp0003" wrote in message ...

1989 merc 3.0 starts fine, runs fine for about half an hour at any
speed
or rpm then starts to miss and will eventually stall. Fuel dripping
from
flame arrestor but only once rough running starts. Will sometimes
restart after a few minutes and run ok other times will continue to
run
rough and stall.

Are there any members out there that might have some insight into what
the problem might be?

Bad coil. (Goes bad when warm .... ok when cold.)

--
Rupp0003

www.marineengine.com

Its free, and you wont have to put up with any of the ****tards in
here.

Eisboch wrote:

"Rupp0003" wrote in message ...

1989 merc 3.0 starts fine, runs fine for about half an hour at any speed
or rpm then starts to miss and will eventually stall. Fuel dripping from
flame arrestor but only once rough running starts. Will sometimes
restart after a few minutes and run ok other times will continue to run
rough and stall.

Are there any members out there that might have some insight into what
the problem might be?

Bad coil. (Goes bad when warm .... ok when cold.)

Yup. Same symptom as a bad stator on an outboard.

On Tue, 21 May 2013 02:55:41 -0400, "Eisboch" wrote:

"Rupp0003" wrote in message ...

1989 merc 3.0 starts fine, runs fine for about half an hour at any
speed
or rpm then starts to miss and will eventually stall. Fuel dripping
from
flame arrestor but only once rough running starts. Will sometimes
restart after a few minutes and run ok other times will continue to
run
rough and stall.

Are there any members out there that might have some insight into what
the problem might be?

Bad coil. (Goes bad when warm .... ok when cold.)

====

Probably right. I had that problem on one of my old 454s. To make
it worse, some genius decided that the coil should be mounted very
near the exhaust manifold.

"Rupp0003" wrote in message ...

1989 merc 3.0 starts fine, runs fine for about half an hour at any
speed
or rpm then starts to miss and will eventually stall. Fuel dripping
from
flame arrestor but only once rough running starts. Will sometimes
restart after a few minutes and run ok other times will continue to
run
rough and stall.

Are there any members out there that might have some insight into what
the problem might be?

Bad coil. (Goes bad when warm .... ok when cold.)

====

Probably right. I had that problem on one of my old 454s. To make
it worse, some genius decided that the coil should be mounted very
near the exhaust manifold.

The dripping fuel makes me think needle and seat or heavy float.

On 5/21/2013 11:37 PM, wrote:

"Rupp0003" wrote in message ...

1989 merc 3.0 starts fine, runs fine for about half an hour at any
speed
or rpm then starts to miss and will eventually stall. Fuel dripping
from
flame arrestor but only once rough running starts. Will sometimes
restart after a few minutes and run ok other times will continue to
run
rough and stall.

Are there any members out there that might have some insight into what
the problem might be?

Bad coil. (Goes bad when warm .... ok when cold.)

====

Probably right. I had that problem on one of my old 454s. To make
it worse, some genius decided that the coil should be mounted very
near the exhaust manifold.

The dripping fuel makes me think needle and seat or heavy float.

I had that problem on an old Corvette (bad float) and it was fine if
you didn't slow down.

The tie breaker is to just check the spark when it is not starting.
One of those enclosed gap testers is safer on a boat than the old
screwdriver method. That is particularly true if you have gas leaking
around/

Here's another one. Starts up and runs fine for a few minutes after
putting a load on. Moisture on or under the metal baseplate vaporizes
and causes crossfiring at the distributor cap.

"Rupp0003" wrote in message ...

1989 merc 3.0 starts fine, runs fine for about half an hour at any
speed
or rpm then starts to miss and will eventually stall. Fuel dripping
from
flame arrestor but only once rough running starts. Will sometimes
restart after a few minutes and run ok other times will continue to
run
rough and stall.

Are there any members out there that might have some insight into what
the problem might be?

Bad coil. (Goes bad when warm .... ok when cold.)

====

Probably right. I had that problem on one of my old 454s. To make
it worse, some genius decided that the coil should be mounted very
near the exhaust manifold.

The dummies who built my old Proline put the live well right above the coil, with no sealant. Took
me two coils to figure out where the problem was.

I think Eisboch nailed it. At the price of coils, it's well worth giving a replacement a try.

John H.
--

Hope you're having a great day!

"Rupp0003" wrote in message ...

[...]

Maybe. Educated guess due to similar experience. The fact that the
OP says it runs fine at any speed for about half an hour makes me
think it's probably not carburetor related. Sounds more like
something heats up and fails which is more likely an ignition problem
and the coil (especially if it's older) is suspect.

Had the same thing happen one morning on the old '82 Century. Mrs.E.
and I were taking a ride up to Boston Harbor from Scituate. It was
probably just about in the same timeframe that the engine sputtered
and died, right in the path of one of the Boston to Provincetown high
speed boats that was just getting up on it's hydrofoils. It blew by
us in a rush with it's horn blaring. After sitting dead in the water
for a while the coil cooled off enough to restart the engine and we
limped our way slowly back to Scituate at idle speed.

On Wed, 22 May 2013 10:10:56 -0400, "Eisboch" wrote:

.. .

"Rupp0003" wrote in message ...

[...]

Both times mine went bad out in the middle of Chesapeake Bay. Boat started and ran fine - and then
just seemed to bog down and die. That $100/year tow boat insurance was a good investment.

John H.
--

Hope you're having a great day!

Stalling Merc I/O Dick Smyth General 1 July 19th 06 11:30 PM
mercruiser3.0 stalling sudsy General 6 September 12th 04 11:47 PM
stalling B Gilmour General 3 August 5th 04 03:19 AM
MerCruiser stalling Bill General 9 September 30th 03 04:18 AM