Default Gun control deal done

On 4/11/13 8:30 AM, J Herring wrote:
On Thu, 11 Apr 2013 08:19:36 -0400, "Eisboch" wrote:

"BAR" wrote in message
. ..

In article ,
says...

"BAR" wrote in message
. ..

In article ,
says...

On Wed, 10 Apr 2013 09:06:53 -0400, "Eisboch"
wrote:

Details at 11.

Something is better than nothing! (I ****ing hope so anyway!)

I must have missed the constitution amendment process?

--------------------------------------

The Constitution says you have the right to bear arms and you do.

The Constitution says we all have the right to keep and bear arms.

Are you saying that right also extends to convicted felons, people
with serious mental health issues, alcoholics and drug addicts?

The Constitution does not exclude them.

But then again, a convicted felon forfeited some of his rights. Those with serious mental health
issues could easily be considered a danger to themselves and/or society. Alcoholics and drug
addicts? How would that he controlled. I doubt if AA or NA are going to provide lists of members.
And besides, members don't 'sign up' or register to be a member.

Salmonbait

--
'Name-calling' - the liberals' last stand.

I don't know what the regs are in a loose state like Virginia, but in
Maryland if you are buying a firearm, you have to fill out a
questionnaire for the state police on which you state under criminal
penalties whether you are of legal age, whether you are engaging in a
straw purchase, whether you've been convicted of a crime of violence,
whether you've been convicted of a misdemeanor act of domestic violence,
whether you are the respondent in a protective order, whether you've
been committed to a mental institution, whether you are a habitual
drunkard, et cetera. Say yes to any of 'em and your app is denied and
you might get arrested.

Anyone here a heavy drinker?

On 4/11/13 9:16 AM, Eisboch wrote:

"J Herring" wrote in message

On Thu, 11 Apr 2013 08:19:36 -0400, "Eisboch" wrote:

Are you saying that right also extends to convicted felons, people
with serious mental health issues, alcoholics and drug addicts?

The Constitution does not exclude them.

But then again, a convicted felon forfeited some of his rights. Those
with serious mental health
issues could easily be considered a danger to themselves and/or society.
Alcoholics and drug
addicts? How would that he controlled. I doubt if AA or NA are going to
provide lists of members.
And besides, members don't 'sign up' or register to be a member.

--------------------------------------

I don't know about other states but the gun permit application in MA has
specific questions regarding drug addiction and/or a history of
"habitual drunkenness" or treatment for alcohol abuse. There's a
reason for that. I believe answering in the affirmative will
disqualify the applicant for a permit. They may qualify following a
treatment program and a doctor's statement that the person has
successfully been drug or alcohol free for a period of 5 years. Both
addictions are considered to be mental health issues.

Having had some up close and personal experience in the past year with
an alcoholic who we were finally able to get into a program for
recovery, I can completely support that restriction. Drug and alcohol
addiction can totally change a person into someone you would never
recognize.

We have a similar application in Maryland.

On 4/11/2013 9:30 AM, F.O.A.D. wrote:

Anyone here a heavy drinker?

Why do you ask? Does your dossier files on rec.boats have some missing
information?

On Thu, 11 Apr 2013 09:16:03 -0400, "Eisboch" wrote:

"J Herring" wrote in message
.. .

[...]

Seems silly. A recovering alcoholic, one who's not had a drink for over five years, let's say, would
need a doctor to attest to that? How the hell would a doctor know? The Form 4473 has a similar
question about addiction to marijuana, narcotics, etc. It would be very easy for a slightly less
than honest person to simply say 'no'. Unless there were some record or conviction, he 'd get away
with it.

I've gone through the same experience you have with an alcoholic. The individual, a brother, has
been sober for several years now. I wouldn't hesitate to let him buy a firearm. He's also a retired
cop.

Salmonbait

On Thu, 11 Apr 2013 09:30:26 -0400, "F.O.A.D." wrote:

On 4/11/13 8:30 AM, J Herring wrote:
On Thu, 11 Apr 2013 08:19:36 -0400, "Eisboch" wrote:

"BAR" wrote in message
. ..

In article ,
says...

. ..

wrote:

[...]

Completion of the ATF Form 4473 is a requirement in Virginia. I would assume the same is true of
Maryland, as it's a Federal form. But who knows? Maryland may have its own form which asks the same
questions.

Salmonbait

On 4/11/13 10:12 AM, J Herring wrote:
On Thu, 11 Apr 2013 09:30:26 -0400, "F.O.A.D." wrote:

On 4/11/13 8:30 AM, J Herring wrote:
On Thu, 11 Apr 2013 08:19:36 -0400, "Eisboch" wrote:

"BAR" wrote in message
. ..

In article ,
says...

. ..

wrote:

[...]

Maryland has its own form. Two pages, one for the applicant, one for the
dealer. Similar and duplicative in many areas of federal form. Remember,
in Maryland, the state police get involved in your app to buy a pistol.

On Thursday, 11 April 2013 10:43:29 UTC-3, Hank© wrote:
On 4/11/2013 9:30 AM, F.O.A.D. wrote:

Anyone here a heavy drinker?

Why do you ask? Does your dossier files on rec.boats have some missing

information?

You seem touchy on the subject, Hanky.
Something to hide?

On 4/11/2013 9:30 AM, F.O.A.D. wrote:

Anyone here a heavy drinker?

Why do you ask? Does your dossier files on rec.boats have some missing

information?

You seem touchy on the subject, Hanky.
Something to hide?

He's back to HankyPanky again? Glad I don't filter on "handles."

On Thu, 11 Apr 2013 10:17:18 -0400, "F.O.A.D." wrote:

On 4/11/13 10:12 AM, J Herring wrote:
On Thu, 11 Apr 2013 09:30:26 -0400, "F.O.A.D." wrote:

On 4/11/13 8:30 AM, J Herring wrote:
On Thu, 11 Apr 2013 08:19:36 -0400, "Eisboch" wrote:

"BAR" wrote in message
. ..

In article ,
says...

. ..

wrote:

[...]

Well, that explains it then. Now I know why Maryland is such a safe state in which to reside. Well,
except for certain parts, that is. If I were walking through PG County or B'more at night, I'd damn
sure consider that a 'special circumstance'!

Salmonbait

On 4/11/13 10:32 AM, J Herring wrote:
On Thu, 11 Apr 2013 10:17:18 -0400, "F.O.A.D." wrote:

On 4/11/13 10:12 AM, J Herring wrote:
On Thu, 11 Apr 2013 09:30:26 -0400, "F.O.A.D." wrote:

On 4/11/13 8:30 AM, J Herring wrote:
On Thu, 11 Apr 2013 08:19:36 -0400, "Eisboch" wrote:

"BAR" wrote in message
. ..

In article ,
says...

. ..

wrote:

[...]

I know this will be difficult for a racist bigot like you to understand,
Herring, but there are some beautiful, rural areas of PG County that are
much nicer than where you live but where decent people do live and
aren't particularly impacted by street crime. We dine at a couple of
locally owned restaurants in PG County, and never feel any "fear."

We've been in Baltimore many fine days and evenings in all parts of the
city, and have never been accosted or even felt like we were under a
threat. A few weeks ago, while returning home from National Airport one
evening, the Suitland Parkway was blocked because of an accident, and we
had to detour to a part of DC/Maryland you would consider dangerous. I
got a bit lost and stopped at a convenience store/gas station to get out
and ask for directions. I said "hi" to the guys milling around and they
said "hi" back. No sweat.

I think your white man's culture of privilege is blinding you.