Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Mark Pearson

Default PC's, electronic charts & Linux anyone?

Hi all,

A friends got a boat & said friend is thinking of going electronic with
the charts. The dedicated bits of equipment aren't desired (or
affordable) with a laptop and or a pda being multifunctional. The
software is always a. MS Windows only & b.silly money AFAIK
Linux based 'Autoroute' type programs exist but has anyone experience of
marine software?
Googling brings up a dead link to one Linux offering which is some 2/3
years dated.
I guess Wine is an option but apparantly some of these (M$) based
programs use 'dongol's(?) which may cause a problem?
Has anyone broken away from the flock and tried something different?
(i.e. non M$ based & therefore stable...)

Cheers,
Mark.

--
s-i-d-s-n-o-t-t a-t m-s-n d-o-t c-o-m
Is a valid email address.

Electronic Charts. Which? Tony Van Electronics 4 June 25th 04 06:10 PM
Need help on using the ENC Electronic charts Rich Cruising 4 June 8th 04 11:52 AM
Electronic Charts lummi Cruising 2 May 9th 04 04:10 AM
cheapest electronic charts? Ric Electronics 4 December 3rd 03 12:55 PM