Mark Pearson

Default PC's, electronic charts & Linux anyone?

Hi all,

A friends got a boat & said friend is thinking of going electronic with
the charts. The dedicated bits of equipment aren't desired (or
affordable) with a laptop and or a pda being multifunctional. The
software is always a. MS Windows only & b.silly money AFAIK
Linux based 'Autoroute' type programs exist but has anyone experience of
marine software?
Googling brings up a dead link to one Linux offering which is some 2/3
years dated.
I guess Wine is an option but apparantly some of these (M$) based
programs use 'dongol's(?) which may cause a problem?
Has anyone broken away from the flock and tried something different?
(i.e. non M$ based & therefore stable...)

Cheers,
Mark.

--
s-i-d-s-n-o-t-t a-t m-s-n d-o-t c-o-m