slowwurm

Default Please help a newbie...

alright...i'm pretty inexperienced at sailing. i have an '89 Catalina 25.
i need a trailer, but i don't know what to look for or what to consider when
purchasing. can you guys give me some advice?

tim

Bruce Woodburn

If the trailer is going within a stone's throw of the saltchuck, get a
galvanized trailer. EZ Loader trailers seem to be good.

If you're getting brakes (and you should for that boat) stay away from
electric brakes... they have no place on a boat trailer.

Try get stainless brakes. I just replaced my entire braking system (9 years
old and the entire thing was corroded despite hose-down each time) for big
buck$.

I drilled a hole in the brake backing plate and installed a quick-fit
garden hose connector so I could flush the brakes for 20 min each side after
launching.

If it's parked with the boat on it over the winter, put it up on blocks and
spin the wheels on occasion. If the brakes seize, bang the drum with a
hammer.... it's just rust between the cast iron drum and the shoes.

Put Bearing Buddies on the hubs.

Get a spare tire. Lock it on the trailer (and keep the key in the
vehicle!!!) Make sure your lug wrench fits the wheel nuts and the jack
works.

Before a long trip, repack the bearings (or pay to have it done) and grease
up them Bearing Buddies!!

The lights will pack it in eventually.... something about electricity and
salt water. I replaced them with a pair mounted on a plank which I bungee to
the boat and remove before launching.

Run tire pressure on the high side in both trailer and vehicle... it will
tow better.

Have fun.

Bruce