Default Good video of boats in big breaking waves

http://www.youtube.com/embed/ByGSMmenPDM?rel=0

Columbia River Bar on the left coast.

If you can watch this without having your heart in your mouth then you
have never been boating in rough conditions.

"Wayne.B" wrote in message

http://www.youtube.com/embed/ByGSMmenPDM?rel=0

Columbia River Bar on the left coast.

If you can watch this without having your heart in your mouth then you
have never been boating in rough conditions.

WOW! You're right Wayne, that was scary. Those guys are nuts.

I've forgotten where it was ... I think it was just south of the
Wrightsville Beach area ... and I was trying to pick up the ICW from
the outside heading south. There had been a storm that passed up the
coast and I found myself in some good sized, fast moving and closely
spaced swells traveling on the same heading as I had to go to pick up
the inlet. This was on the Navigator. The seas weren't breaking and
were nothing even close to those in your video, but they were fast
moving and big enough to lift the stern so high that the rudders
became useless. Each time one caught up and passed under the boat it
deposited it in a heading that was probably 20 - 30 degrees off my
intended course. I tried zig-zaging a bit, but that really didn't
help much and I couldn't go fast enough in the area to try to "surf".
It was a 45 minute, white knuckled ride until I finally made it into
the inlet. I learned not to fight it and to not try to
over-compensate with the helm, but rather just make a heading
adjustment whenever the rudders would bite.

I can't even imagine being in the seas those fishing boats were in.

In article ,
says...

http://www.youtube.com/embed/ByGSMmenPDM?rel=0

Columbia River Bar on the left coast.

If you can watch this without having your heart in your mouth then you
have never been boating in rough conditions.

Why would anyone want to take that ride more than once?

On Tue, 11 Dec 2012 00:36:41 -0500, Wayne.B wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/embed/ByGSMmenPDM?rel=0

Columbia River Bar on the left coast.

If you can watch this without having your heart in your mouth then you
have never been boating in rough conditions.

I've gone to Ilwaco four times with brothers to go salmon fishing. Twice we made it out the mouth of
the river, and twice we turned back. Even on the 'calm' days a lot of folks were hitting the
Dramamine!

Only caught two salmon. Had to throw them both back - out of season.

In article ,
says...

In article ,
says...

http://www.youtube.com/embed/ByGSMmenPDM?rel=0

Columbia River Bar on the left coast.

If you can watch this without having your heart in your mouth then you
have never been boating in rough conditions.

Why would anyone want to take that ride more than once?

To make a living.

In article ,
says...

On Tue, 11 Dec 2012 00:36:41 -0500, Wayne.B wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/embed/ByGSMmenPDM?rel=0

Columbia River Bar on the left coast.

If you can watch this without having your heart in your mouth then you
have never been boating in rough conditions.

I've gone to Ilwaco four times with brothers to go salmon fishing. Twice we made it out the mouth of
the river, and twice we turned back. Even on the 'calm' days a lot of folks were hitting the
Dramamine!

Only caught two salmon. Had to throw them both back - out of season.

If the salmon were out of season, why did you go salmon fishing, Racist
John?

On Tue, 11 Dec 2012 09:53:12 -0500, iBoaterer wrote:

In article ,
says...

On Tue, 11 Dec 2012 00:36:41 -0500, Wayne.B wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/embed/ByGSMmenPDM?rel=0

Columbia River Bar on the left coast.

If you can watch this without having your heart in your mouth then you
have never been boating in rough conditions.

I've gone to Ilwaco four times with brothers to go salmon fishing. Twice we made it out the mouth of
the river, and twice we turned back. Even on the 'calm' days a lot of folks were hitting the
Dramamine!

Only caught two salmon. Had to throw them both back - out of season.

If the salmon were out of season, why did you go salmon fishing, Racist
John?

The Coho were out of season, and that's what I caught. Of course you know all about salmon fishing,
so I won't go into any more detail.

On 12/11/12 10:54 AM, GuzzisRule wrote:
[...]

I prefer "John the Racist" to Racist John. John the Racist has much more
of a religious overtone to it.
Jim Jim is offline

wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/embed/ByGSMmenPDM?rel=0

Columbia River Bar on the left coast.

If you can watch this without having your heart in your mouth then you
have never been boating in rough conditions.

I've gone to Ilwaco four times with brothers to go salmon fishing.
Twice we made it out the mouth of
the river, and twice we turned back. Even on the 'calm' days a lot
of folks were hitting the
Dramamine!

Only caught two salmon. Had to throw them both back - out of season.

If the salmon were out of season, why did you go salmon fishing, Racist
John?

The Coho were out of season, and that's what I caught. Of course you
know all about salmon fishing,
so I won't go into any more detail.

I prefer "John the Racist" to Racist John. John the Racist has much more
of a religious overtone to it.

I prefer that you ESAD. ;-)

On Tue, 11 Dec 2012 05:31:05 -0500, "Eisboch" wrote:

The seas weren't breaking and
were nothing even close to those in your video, but they were fast
moving and big enough to lift the stern so high that the rudders
became useless. Each time one caught up and passed under the boat it
deposited it in a heading that was probably 20 - 30 degrees off my
intended course.

===

Yes, once your boat starts skidding sideways down the front of a wave
you begin to appreciate how much energy is involved, and how quickly
things could go wrong.