Default Question for two-stroke experts

On 11/6/2012 3:15 PM, GuzzisRule wrote:
On Tue, 06 Nov 2012 11:59:23 -0500, GuzzisRule wrote:

On Tue, 06 Nov 2012 10:33:13 -0500, Meyer wrote:

On 11/6/2012 10:59 AM, GuzzisRule wrote:
My chain saw wants a 40/1 mix. My blower wants a 50/1. Rather than have another gas can sitting
around, I'm thinking of making a 45/1 mix and using it for both. Will that be safe?

Thanks all for the quick comeback. I mixed a couple gallons of about 40/1. I'll just live with the
smoke. Auto Zone had Pennzoil, which I guess should work. It didn't have a stabilizer in the oil,
like some do, so I added some of that to the mix also. None of these are $12,000 Yamahas, so I
should be OK. My chain gets used about once every five years or so. Had to drag it out 'cause my
(liberal) neighbor had a big (10" dia) oak branch come down in his back yard. Now he's got a bunch
more firewood for next year - if he can split it.

If he's a true liberal he'll con you into splitting it for him.

On Nov 6, 5:59*pm, BAR wrote:
In article ,
says...

On Tue, 06 Nov 2012 10:33:13 -0500, Meyer wrote:

On 11/6/2012 10:59 AM, GuzzisRule wrote:
My chain saw wants a 40/1 mix. My blower wants a 50/1. Rather than have another gas can sitting
around, I'm thinking of making a 45/1 mix and using it for both. Will that be safe?

I would say yes but consult your owners manualoand call your
manufacturers, and check with a small engine shop, and google your
query. You'll be surprised at the number of different answers you get.

Yup, I did the google thing and found that most folks don't understand the meaning of a ratio.

If there is no smoke, you need more oil in the gas can.

If there is a lot of smoke, you need more gas in the gas can.

BUT.... too much oil = fouled plug.
Tim Tim is offline

On Nov 6, 11:18*am, JustWait wrote:
On 11/6/2012 12:09 PM, wrote:

On Tue, 06 Nov 2012 10:59:05 -0500, GuzzisRule
wrote:

My chain saw wants a 40/1 mix. My blower wants a 50/1. Rather than have another gas can sitting
around, I'm thinking of making a 45/1 mix and using it for both. Will that be safe?

I know commercial guys who use 50:1 for everything.

The way the race builders tell me, most gas and two stroke oil is such
quality that the exact mix is not as much of a factor as it was "in the
old days"...

In the old days, they used to take a 5 gallon can of gas and dump a
quart of 30W motor oil in it. That'd lube anything and keep the
mosquitos away

wrote:

My chain saw wants a 40/1 mix. My blower wants a 50/1. Rather than have another gas can sitting
around, I'm thinking of making a 45/1 mix and using it for both. Will that be safe?

I know commercial guys who use 50:1 for everything.

The way the race builders tell me, most gas and two stroke oil is such
quality that the exact mix is not as much of a factor as it was "in the
old days"...

In the old days, they used to take a 5 gallon can of gas and dump a
quart of 30W motor oil in it. That'd lube anything and keep the
mosquitos away

Nope, not gonad do that. I'll go with about 40/1 for everything, with a little stabilizer added.

wrote:

My chain saw wants a 40/1 mix. My blower wants a 50/1. Rather than have another gas can sitting
around, I'm thinking of making a 45/1 mix and using it for both. Will that be safe?

I know commercial guys who use 50:1 for everything.

The way the race builders tell me, most gas and two stroke oil is such
quality that the exact mix is not as much of a factor as it was "in the
old days"...

In the old days, they used to take a 5 gallon can of gas and dump a
quart of 30W motor oil in it. That'd lube anything and keep the
mosquitos away

Nope, not gonad do that. I'll go with about 40/1 for everything, with a little stabilizer added.

I'm neither gonad nor gonna do it!