Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Synergy

Default newbie - dinghy/sloop recommendations

You may want to consider a West Wight Potter. Don't have any personal
experience with them, but a friend of mine is absolutely hooked on them.
The smaller model seems to fit your needs well.

Louis
s/v Synergy
Westsail 32 #679
"CALA Workshop" wrote in message
Please cut me some slack, I'm still working on distinguishing a jib from
a jibe so I'm sure to ask some stupid ?'s.

I'm looking for a smallish sloop rigged dinghy (probably) for inland

lakes.

Criteria:

stable but not too slow
reasonably well built
dryish to sail
13-16'
easily trailerable
sailable condition used for less than $1500
my never sailed, not crazy about the idea wife will catch the fever
usually single-handed by 180 lb sailor
occasionally 1-2 passengers.

others?

Possibilities:
Javelin
Mutineer
Force 5 (yeah I know it's not a sloop, but it sounds like fun)
Lido 14
Capri 14.2
X boat

I may consider the:
M-scow
MC scow

But the wet, scared wife could put a damper on the situtation.

I am specifically looking for recommendations amoungst the boats listed
above as they seem to be the most common in the area.

Thanks in advance for any assistance/recommendations!!