Default decisions, decisions, decisions . . .

On Friday, October 19, 2012 6:26:01 PM UTC-4, tee43 wrote:
On Friday, October 19, 2012 5:54:08 PM UTC-4, Meyer wrote:

On 10/19/2012 5:19 PM, JustWait wrote:

On 10/19/2012 4:18 PM, tee43 wrote:

18' Grady White or 18' Edgewater or 18' Boston Whaler? Of course,

Yamaha on the back and all center console! Opinions??

Where do you boat, what do you want your boat to do for you? That basic

info is necessary before anybody can really help you.

Whalers are definately over rated. I picked one up for a song And

discovered that the hand rail around the front was not mounted securely

to backing blocks. Foam sandwich construction is fine until the bond is

compromised.

Grady is a good name but tends to be overpriced.

Never heard of Edgewarter.

Thanks, Meyer, for your reply. Edgewater was the brainchild of one of the original Boston Whaler designers (can't recall his name). The website is: www.ew.com

On Friday, October 19, 2012 6:31:07 PM UTC-4, tee43 wrote:
[...]

OOPS! That website is wrong! It should be: www.ewboats.com

"Meyer" wrote in message
eb.com...

On 10/19/2012 5:19 PM, JustWait wrote:
On 10/19/2012 4:18 PM, tee43 wrote:
18' Grady White or 18' Edgewater or 18' Boston Whaler? Of course,
Yamaha on the back and all center console! Opinions??

Where do you boat, what do you want your boat to do for you? That
basic
info is necessary before anybody can really help you.

Whalers are definately over rated. I picked one up for a song And
discovered that the hand rail around the front was not mounted
securely
to backing blocks. Foam sandwich construction is fine until the bond
is
compromised.
Grady is a good name but tends to be overpriced.
Never heard of Edgewarter.

I've had two Boston Whalers (a new Dauntless and an older, original
13', blue bottomed model), an 18' Robalo, and two other 21' or under
outboard powered boats, the manufacturers of which escapes me.

Of them all the best by far, in terms of fit, finish and overall
performance was a 17' Sailfish made by Seminole Marine in Cairo, GA.
The one we had was very similar in design to the original Whaler, only
bigger, had a center console and was the most stable boat of it's type
I've ever been on. I could sit on the gunnel on one side and it
barely tipped. Same moving fore and aft. I used to haul lobster
traps on the forward deck and the boat remained perfectly flat and
stable. Only had a 90 hp outboard, but it flew and handled great.
It was the only small boat we had that my wife felt very comfortable
taking out by herself.

http://www.sailfishboats.com/

Eisboch

On Fri, 19 Oct 2012 13:18:20 -0700 (PDT), tee43
wrote:

18' Grady White or 18' Edgewater or 18' Boston Whaler? Of course, Yamaha on the back and all center console! Opinions??

=======

What ever you do, don't get a low transom Parker. They are
dangerously unseaworthy in rough water, and owners frequently go off
the deep end.

On Friday, October 19, 2012 4:18:23 PM UTC-4, tee43 wrote:
18' Grady White or 18' Edgewater or 18' Boston Whaler? Of course, Yamaha on the back and all center console! Opinions??

I bought a 2007 Key West Center Console which I absolutely love. It's this one:

http://www.keywestboatsinc.com/boats/show/id/6

I put a Yamaha 150 four stroke on it, and it cooks. Also great for trolling, as the jump seats in the stern are removable, and the holes are just the right size for rod holders. You can troll eight rods at a time!