Default Yo Wayne!

In case you missed the answer to your question in all the fighting:

On Mon, 30 Jul 2012 19:52:13 -0400, Wayne.B wrote:

We are planning to spend some time in southern Utah later this year?

Any recommendations?

YES!!

First stop, Moab, UT. Visit Arches and Canyonlands National Parks (NP) and Dead Horse Point SP. A
week would be good here, but we stayed only four days.

Then back to I-70, west to Hwy 24 south. Follow to Hwy 12 south. Spectacular scenery. Don't stop for
pictures every ten minutes. Visit Capitol Reef NP for a couple hours or more, and continue on Hwy 12
'til you reach Hyw 63, and take a left to Bryce Canyon NP. Fantastic place. While there, be sure and
take the free bus tour offered by Ruby's Campground. The sign up place is right there at the
campground. If you're not camping, Ruby's Lodge seemed pretty nice, but I'd make reservations early.
( http://tinyurl.com/caa5mqs ). A week in Bryce would be nice. Go on a mule ride.

From there, back to Hwy 12 west to Hwy 89, south to Hwy 9 and west to Zion NP. Plan on a few days
there, and be sure and take the bus tour through the park.

From there, drop down south and head east to the Grand Canyon North Rim. Be sure to stop at Jacobs
Lake and visit the trading post. After a few days at the Grand Canyon, head over to Page, AZ, rent a
pontoon boat and spend a few days on Lake Powell. Be sure to visit Lower Antelope Canyon. Take a
tripod, and they'll let you linger for a lot longer in the canyon and take your time with your
pictures.

Finally, we went to Monument Valley for a couple days and then headed home. I'd like to do the whole
thing again, with more time, and visit some of the places we didn't get to, like Lake Powell.

Start planning early. If you plan to visit and stay at the lodge or cabins, make reservations really
early. I'd start calling them now. ( http://tinyurl.com/cjme7y6 )

Hope you have a super trip!

On Tue, 31 Jul 2012 09:18:43 -0400, John H.
wrote:

[...]

From there, back to Hwy 12 west to Hwy 89, south to Hwy 9 and west to Zion NP. Plan on a few days
there, and be sure and take the bus tour through the park.

From there, drop down south and head east to the Grand Canyon North Rim. Be sure to stop at Jacobs
Lake and visit the trading post. After a few days at the Grand Canyon, head over to Page, AZ, rent a
pontoon boat and spend a few days on Lake Powell. Be sure to visit Lower Antelope Canyon. Take a
tripod, and they'll let you linger for a lot longer in the canyon and take your time with your
pictures.

Finally, we went to Monument Valley for a couple days and then headed home. I'd like to do the whole
thing again, with more time, and visit some of the places we didn't get to, like Lake Powell.

Start planning early. If you plan to visit and stay at the lodge or cabins, make reservations really
early. I'd start calling them now. ( http://tinyurl.com/cjme7y6 )

Hope you have a super trip!

===

Thanks !

RG RG is offline

wrote:

[...]

From there, back to Hwy 12 west to Hwy 89, south to Hwy 9 and west to Zion
NP. Plan on a few days
there, and be sure and take the bus tour through the park.

From there, drop down south and head east to the Grand Canyon North Rim.
Be sure to stop at Jacobs
Lake and visit the trading post. After a few days at the Grand Canyon,
head over to Page, AZ, rent a
pontoon boat and spend a few days on Lake Powell. Be sure to visit Lower
Antelope Canyon. Take a
tripod, and they'll let you linger for a lot longer in the canyon and take
your time with your
pictures.

Finally, we went to Monument Valley for a couple days and then headed
home. I'd like to do the whole
thing again, with more time, and visit some of the places we didn't get
to, like Lake Powell.

Start planning early. If you plan to visit and stay at the lodge or
cabins, make reservations really
early. I'd start calling them now. ( http://tinyurl.com/cjme7y6 )

Hope you have a super trip!

-------------------------------

Hi Wayne,

As John has stated, there is much to see in this area. Without knowing your
arrival point and dates of visit it's hard to provide specifics, but I'll
add to some of John's comments.

Although not exactly what I'd call southern Utah, I would agree that a trip
to Arches NP would be well worth the trip. Much to see in a fairly compact
National Park. I've not visited Canyonlands NP or Capitol Reef NP, but I
would imagine they would be worthwhile, as well. They both cover
considerably more ground than Arches. As John has mentioned, Highway 12
from Highway 89 to Highway 24 is renowned for its scenery. It's a
must-drive.

Focusing more on southern Utah, I would have to consider Bryce Canyon NP a
highlight. Out of this world scenery. There is a lodge in the park that
rents cabins that are nearly on the rim of the canyon. I like staying in
the lodges inside the parks, and this one is no exception. I've not spent a
lot of time in Zion NP, but it's certainly worth at least a drive through
and a stop for lunch. To the southwest of Zion is Coral Pink Sand Dunes
State Park, which is certainly worth a short side trip.

From there, it's a must that you cross the border into northern Arizona. A
trip to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon is highly advisable, but be
advised that the North Rim closes in mid-October. Stay at the Grand Canyon
Lodge if you make this trip. I can't imagine being in the neighborhood
without giving Lake Powell serious consideration, especially knowing your
appreciation of the water. You'll want to base yourself out of the Lake
Powell Resort, at Wahweap. Now it just becomes a matter of time available
as to how you see the lake. Ideally, this would involve both a houseboat
rental and a runabout rental as a tagalong chase boat. This allows you to
be comfortable for a number of nights out on the lake, but allows for seeing
much more of the lake with the speed of the runabout while using the
houseboat as a mother ship. Short of that, a runabout rental out of Wahweap
will allow for a day trip into the lower part of the lake. And finally, if
you want to let someone else do the driving, there is an all-day tour boat
that will take you to Rainbow Bridge, with other stops along the way. While
at Lake Powell, the slot canyons just outside of Page will provide scenery
you will never forget. I would recommend a visit to both Upper and Lower
Antelope Canyons. If time allowed, a trip to Canyon X would be enjoyable as
well

If time allows, I would heartily endorse a trip to Monument Valley. It's as
iconic of the American West as it gets. The Navajo recently built a new
hotel called The View, which would be the ideal place to stay. An optional
adjunct to Monument Valley would be a trip over to Canyon de Chelly. Not as
iconic as Monument Valley, but lots of scenery and history.

I don't remember if you received copies of my eBooks, but if you did, and if
you did, the 2007 book "Beyond the Equinox" covers much of southern Utah.
The 2009 book "Wish You Were Here!" covers the Lake Powell and Page areas.
If you don't have them, email me and I'll find a way to get them to you.
Also, if you'd like more detailed information and assistance with building
an itinerary for the area, I'd be happy to help. Lastly, at least let me
know when and where you plan to be. I'm always up for a road trip!

Russ

On Wed, 1 Aug 2012 07:27:05 -0700, "RG" wrote:

.. .

wrote:

[...]

From there, back to Hwy 12 west to Hwy 89, south to Hwy 9 and west to Zion
NP. Plan on a few days
there, and be sure and take the bus tour through the park.

From there, drop down south and head east to the Grand Canyon North Rim.
Be sure to stop at Jacobs
[...]

From there, it's a must that you cross the border into northern Arizona. A
[...]

Thanks Russ, good to know you're still following the group.

wrote:

[...]

From there, back to Hwy 12 west to Hwy 89, south to Hwy 9 and west to Zion
NP. Plan on a few days
there, and be sure and take the bus tour through the park.

From there, drop down south and head east to the Grand Canyon North Rim.
Be sure to stop at Jacobs
[...]

From there, it's a must that you cross the border into northern Arizona. A
[...]

If you go to Dead Horse Point, there is an unpaved trail that winds it's
way to Moab. It's probably about 10 miles but it'll take 2 hours to make
the run by, preferably, 4wd, but a car could do it.

RG RG is offline

Thanks Russ, good to know you're still following the group.

That may be overstating my level of involvement and participation in this
train wreck just a bit, but please do let me know if I can be of any further
assistance, and if you'd be interested in a meet-up while you're out in the
wild west searching for Indians.

Russ

On Wed, 01 Aug 2012 13:16:28 -0400, Meyer wrote:

If you go to Dead Horse Point, there is an unpaved trail that winds it's
way to Moab. It's probably about 10 miles but it'll take 2 hours to make
the run by, preferably, 4wd, but a car could do it.

===

Good information but first I'd have to find another wife.

:-)

RG RG is offline

"Wayne.B" wrote in message
On Wed, 01 Aug 2012 13:16:28 -0400, Meyer wrote:

If you go to Dead Horse Point, there is an unpaved trail that winds it's
way to Moab. It's probably about 10 miles but it'll take 2 hours to make
the run by, preferably, 4wd, but a car could do it.

===

Good information but first I'd have to find another wife.

:-)

I certain parts of southern Utah, you wouldn't necessarily have to trade in
the current model. It's customary just to bring on a new addition to the
matrimonial unit. Why anybody in their right mind would choose to do so, I
can't answer.

Russ

is this you, Wayne? Tim General 4 May 29th 12 02:23 AM
YO! LG and Wayne John H[_2_] General 22 September 10th 11 09:45 AM
Yo Wayne John H[_2_] General 8 January 30th 11 03:04 AM
Thanks Wayne B. Tim General 5 February 27th 10 09:22 PM
Yo!! Wayne!! Yogi of Woodstock General 3 July 24th 09 01:28 PM