Default Propane Outboard Motor Anyone?

In article ,
says...

On Sat, 26 May 2012 09:09:13 -0400, iBoaterer wrote:

In article ,
says...

On Sat, 26 May 2012 08:35:57 -0400, iBoaterer wrote:

In article ,
says...

On Thu, 24 May 2012 19:50:22 -0400, John H.
wrote:

On Thu, 24 May 2012 19:22:37 -0400,
wrote:

On Tue, 22 May 2012 23:32:19 -0400, Wayne.B
wrote:

http://www.golehr.com/

It would certainly eliminate the ethanol/bad fuel problems.

Where onboard does one safely store the propane?

Why not where the gasoline is stored now? Different tank, of course. I've got four 20lb'ers on my
trailer. Doesn't seem to cause anyone a problem until I go under the tunnel at Norfolf or Baltimore.
Then I just have to turn them off.

John, management of LP gas is a well known problem, on boats.

http://www.boattest.com/resources/vi...spx?NewsID=502

So isn't gasoline.

Do we store gasoline tanks on the deck in lockers vented overboard?

In a way, yes. Gasoline is stored in a gasoline tank (locker) and is
vented.

Oh, good grief. Whatever.

I guess he has never heard of a leak in a gasoline tank.

In article ,
says...

wrote:

http://www.golehr.com/

It would certainly eliminate the ethanol/bad fuel problems.

Where onboard does one safely store the propane?

Why not where the gasoline is stored now? Different tank, of course. I've got four 20lb'ers on my
trailer. Doesn't seem to cause anyone a problem until I go under the tunnel at Norfolf or Baltimore.
Then I just have to turn them off.

John, management of LP gas is a well known problem, on boats.

http://www.boattest.com/resources/vi...spx?NewsID=502

So isn't gasoline.

Do we store gasoline tanks on the deck in lockers vented overboard?

In a way, yes. Gasoline is stored in a gasoline tank (locker) and is
vented.

Oh, good grief. Whatever.

I guess he has never heard of a leak in a gasoline tank.

Sure I have, and that's my point! Storing gasoline is just as dangerous
as storing propane. I guess you've never heard of a boat blowing up
because of gasoline fumes in the bilge?

In article , says...

On 5/26/2012 9:08 AM, iBoaterer wrote:
In ,
says...

On Sat, 26 May 2012 08:58:55 -0400,
wrote:

On 5/26/2012 8:52 AM,
wrote:
On Sat, 26 May 2012 08:34:10 -0400,
wrote:

On 5/26/2012 8:20 AM,
wrote:
On Sat, 26 May 2012 08:04:01 -0400, John
wrote:

On Sat, 26 May 2012 07:45:12 -0400,
wrote:

On Sat, 26 May 2012 07:36:41 -0400, John
wrote:

wrote:

http://www.golehr.com/

It would certainly eliminate the ethanol/bad fuel problems.

Where onboard does one safely store the propane?

Why not where the gasoline is stored now? Different tank, of course. I've got four 20lb'ers on my
trailer. Doesn't seem to cause anyone a problem until I go under the tunnel at Norfolf or Baltimore.
Then I just have to turn them off.

John, management of LP gas is a well known problem, on boats.

http://www.boattest.com/resources/vi...spx?NewsID=502

I am always in the learning mode. That's why the question mark.

But the article indicates that proper procedures for handling the stuff are well known. The article
answers the original question.

Thanks.

I guess another point to be made is that smaller boats may not have
any room to install an LP locker. (At least, I can't figure out
where.) I'd really like to join the LP/LNG rush, but I don't think I
have room on any of my boats to accommodate the locker.

I'll throw a question back at you, since you are a diesel owner. Do
you expect the price of diesel to drop dramatically as 18-wheelers
convert to LNG? We may soon be addressing the return of diesel
outboards and alternative highway fuels for those boat and RV haulers.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...910235090.html

I hadn't seen that article. Since refineries can adjust output of different products, I wouldn't
expect the price of diesel to fluctuate any more than the price of gasoline. If the LNG rush catches
on big time, I'd expect the demand for both diesel and gasoline to go down, along with the prices. I
liked this line:

"But today, truck manufacturers are embracing natural gas for everything from bi-fuel pickup trucks
like the Chevy Silverado HD to eighteen-wheelers that can burn natural gas either compressed, called
CNG, or super-chilled, called LNG."

Wonder how much it would cost me to get my pickup converted to 'bi-fuel'.

I wonder....if diesel outboards become popular, will Karen from down-under come back to the group?

I hope not with that butt ugly diesel in a box contraption
she/he/whatever showed us.

Hey harry, can you limit the posts to two or three sock puppets? Thanks...

I don't mind: I can be your Harry if you aren't getting enough
attention.

Oh gee, you are just too clever for me harry...

If you WERE clever, you would realize that you are outsmarting
yourself.

You've seen it before, he, Don and John just think someone is somebody
else in there head, and then in there head it becomes reality.

LOl... you still playin' that. You don't remember coming here and
telling us you were going flying? (wink)... It is what it is...

No, I don't. Please show me.

On Sat, 26 May 2012 08:52:41 -0400, wrote:

On Sat, 26 May 2012 08:34:10 -0400, JustWait
wrote:

Why engage the ****?

wrote:

[...]

Why the ****? This was a pretty decent thread.

On Sat, 26 May 2012 08:04:01 -0400, John H.
wrote:

"But today, truck manufacturers are embracing natural gas for everything from bi-fuel pickup trucks
like the Chevy Silverado HD to eighteen-wheelers that can burn natural gas either compressed, called
CNG, or super-chilled, called LNG."

===

It's important to remember that one reason for the high price of
diesel is high road taxes, imposed largely because of trucks. If
large numbers of trucks end up converting to LNG it is only a matter
of time before taxation catches up.

On Sat, 26 May 2012 10:23:17 -0400, iBoaterer wrote:

Storing gasoline is just as dangerous
as storing propane. I guess you've never heard of a boat blowing up
because of gasoline fumes in the bilge?

===

It happens all the time unfortunately but propane is still more
dangerous than gasoline for a couple of reasons:

1. It is invisible so leaks are not obvious.

2. The fittings on propane tanks get frequently uncoupled and
recoupled as tanks are swapped out. This is not true for permanently
installed gasoline tanks. Portable gasoline tanks should always be on
deck in open air.

wrote:

"But today, truck manufacturers are embracing natural gas for everything from bi-fuel pickup trucks
like the Chevy Silverado HD to eighteen-wheelers that can burn natural gas either compressed, called
CNG, or super-chilled, called LNG."

===

It's important to remember that one reason for the high price of
diesel is high road taxes, imposed largely because of trucks. If
large numbers of trucks end up converting to LNG it is only a matter
of time before taxation catches up.

Especially given ... oh, never mind.

Yup, you're most likely right.

Old Motor versus New Motor (outboard) Gil Boat Building 4 November 3rd 07 07:52 AM
Old Motor versus New Motor (outboard) Gil Cruising 0 November 2nd 07 04:15 PM
Help with outboard motor R Swarts General 0 May 8th 07 11:55 PM
Outboard Motor Will General 14 July 30th 04 09:31 AM