BoatBanter.com

-   -   For animal lovers... (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/151764-animal-lovers.html)

Richard Casady May 4th 12 05:10 AM

For animal lovers...

On Thu, 03 May 2012 19:55:52 -0700, thumper wrote:

On 5/3/2012 5:32 PM, X ` Man wrote:
On 5/3/12 8:25 PM, Richard Casady wrote:

I live just outside Des Moines, and the local deer are so numerous as
to be catagorized as vermin. I lost an auto to one. They cross my lawn
on a daily basis. It would be great if hunters would kill vast numbers
of them.

Typically, the problem you describe is the result of man encroaching on
the natural habit of woodland critters and decimating it. So, we take
away the land on which critters live, eat, and breathe, and then we
shoot them.

Elimination of their natural predators (wolves, cougars, etc.) is also
significant. They tend to require more area and incur the wrath of
farmers/ranchers.

They are found in the heart of Des Moines. Seen on the Capitol
grounds.

Casady

X ` Man May 4th 12 11:36 AM

For animal lovers...

On 5/4/12 1:02 AM, wrote:
On Thu, 03 May 2012 20:32:41 -0400, X ` Man
wrote:

On 5/3/12 8:25 PM, Richard Casady wrote:
On Thu, 03 May 2012 18:44:24 -0400, X `
wrote:

I live just outside Des Moines, and the local deer are so numerous as
to be catagorized as vermin. I lost an auto to one. They cross my lawn
on a daily basis. It would be great if hunters would kill vast numbers
of them.

Casady

Typically, the problem you describe is the result of man encroaching on
the natural habit of woodland critters and decimating it. So, we take
away the land on which critters live, eat, and breathe, and then we
shoot them.

There are significantly more deer in the suburbs than there ever have
been but the residents would not tolerate repopulating the predators
necessary for natural control. It turns out white tail deer are very
well adapted to suburban living. I have even seen them on the
Whitehurst Freeway in downtown DC.
Can you imagine the howl people would put up if we dumped a couple
dozen cougars around the beltway and in Rock Creek Park?
I doubt they would even tolerate that down in rural Calvert County.

(yet they did it near where I live here in SW Florida)

A few thousand cougars running loose in Florida could only improve the
quality of life for everyone in that state.

BAR[_2_] May 4th 12 01:19 PM

For animal lovers...

In article ,
says...

wrote:

[...]

The fox take care of the rodent population, cats are rodents in my book.

X ` Man[_3_] May 4th 12 01:31 PM

For animal lovers...

On 5/4/12 8:19 AM, BAR wrote:
cats are rodents in my book.

Well, of course...you joined the marines instead of getting an
edu-ma-ka-shun.

iBoaterer[_2_] May 4th 12 02:36 PM

For animal lovers...

In article ,
says...

On Thu, 03 May 2012 12:54:44 -0400, John H.
wrote:

...and those who find hunters despicable.

http://dribbleglass.com/images/billboards/animals.jpg

More species are saved by hunters than all the PETA and "save the
animals" kooks combined.

Hunters put their money where their mouth is and they actually do
things to preserve habitat and encourage species survival. They don't
just whine about it.

BTW I don't hunt.

Yeah, killing animals saves them. Got it!

iBoaterer[_2_] May 4th 12 02:39 PM

For animal lovers...

In article , says...

wrote:

...and those who find hunters despicable.

http://dribbleglass.com/images/billboards/animals.jpg

There's a place in gawds kingdom for all animals; usually right next
to my mashed potatoes.

Still folks out there that would rather see the things slowly starve to
death...

Makes you wonder how any animal species ever survived without man
killing them in mass.

Oscar May 4th 12 02:54 PM

For animal lovers...

On 5/4/2012 8:19 AM, BAR wrote:
In ,
says...

wrote:

[...]

This is the Gods honest truth.
I watched a fox chase a cat and tree him/her, in my back yard.
After a period of time, 15-30 minutes as I recall, with the fox still
patiently waiting at the base of the tree, the cat climbed down the
tree, swatted the fox in the nose, and ran off. The bewildered fox
didn't give chase.

Oscar May 4th 12 02:56 PM

For animal lovers...

On 5/4/2012 8:31 AM, X ` Man wrote:
On 5/4/12 8:19 AM, BAR wrote:
cats are rodents in my book.

Well, of course...you joined the marines instead of getting an
edu-ma-ka-shun.

Why you dirty rat!