BoatBanter.com

-   -   For animal lovers... (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/151764-animal-lovers.html)

John H.[_5_] May 3rd 12 05:54 PM

For animal lovers...

....and those who find hunters despicable.

http://dribbleglass.com/images/billboards/animals.jpg

John H.[_5_] May 3rd 12 06:27 PM

For animal lovers...

On Thu, 03 May 2012 13:07:38 -0400, wrote:

On Thu, 03 May 2012 12:54:44 -0400, John H.
wrote:

...and those who find hunters despicable.

http://dribbleglass.com/images/billboards/animals.jpg

There's a place in gawds kingdom for all animals; usually right next
to my mashed potatoes.

LOL!

North Star May 3rd 12 08:07 PM

For animal lovers...

On May 3, 1:54*pm, John H. wrote:
...and those who find hunters despicable.

http://dribbleglass.com/images/billboards/animals.jpg

That's dumb........the hunters could take out innocent people as they
drive under the influence.

John H.[_5_] May 3rd 12 10:36 PM

For animal lovers...

wrote:

...and those who find hunters despicable.

http://dribbleglass.com/images/billboards/animals.jpg

More species are saved by hunters than all the PETA and "save the
animals" kooks combined.

Hunters put their money where their mouth is and they actually do
things to preserve habitat and encourage species survival. They don't
just whine about it.

BTW I don't hunt.

You are preaching to the choir director!

John H.[_5_] May 3rd 12 10:37 PM

For animal lovers...

On Thu, 3 May 2012 12:07:02 -0700 (PDT), North Star wrote:

On May 3, 1:54*pm, John H. wrote:
...and those who find hunters despicable.

http://dribbleglass.com/images/billboards/animals.jpg

That's dumb........the hunters could take out innocent people as they
drive under the influence.

Wow, Don! That's quite perceptive.

X ` Man May 3rd 12 11:44 PM

For animal lovers...

wrote:

...and those who find hunters despicable.

http://dribbleglass.com/images/billboards/animals.jpg

More species are saved by hunters than all the PETA and "save the
animals" kooks combined.

Hunters put their money where their mouth is and they actually do
things to preserve habitat and encourage species survival. They don't
just whine about it.

BTW I don't hunt.

I'd be impressed if the "hunters" preserved habitat and didn't kill the
animals on it.

JustWait[_2_] May 4th 12 12:14 AM

For animal lovers...

wrote:

...and those who find hunters despicable.

http://dribbleglass.com/images/billboards/animals.jpg

There's a place in gawds kingdom for all animals; usually right next
to my mashed potatoes.

Still folks out there that would rather see the things slowly starve to
death...

Richard Casady May 4th 12 01:25 AM

For animal lovers...

wrote:

...and those who find hunters despicable.

http://dribbleglass.com/images/billboards/animals.jpg

More species are saved by hunters than all the PETA and "save the
animals" kooks combined.

Hunters put their money where their mouth is and they actually do
things to preserve habitat and encourage species survival. They don't
just whine about it.

BTW I don't hunt.

I'd be impressed if the "hunters" preserved habitat and didn't kill the
animals on it.

I live just outside Des Moines, and the local deer are so numerous as
to be catagorized as vermin. I lost an auto to one. They cross my lawn
on a daily basis. It would be great if hunters would kill vast numbers
of them.

Casady

X ` Man[_3_] May 4th 12 01:32 AM

For animal lovers...

wrote:

...and those who find hunters despicable.

http://dribbleglass.com/images/billboards/animals.jpg

More species are saved by hunters than all the PETA and "save the
animals" kooks combined.

Hunters put their money where their mouth is and they actually do
things to preserve habitat and encourage species survival. They don't
just whine about it.

BTW I don't hunt.

I'd be impressed if the "hunters" preserved habitat and didn't kill the
animals on it.

I live just outside Des Moines, and the local deer are so numerous as
to be catagorized as vermin. I lost an auto to one. They cross my lawn
on a daily basis. It would be great if hunters would kill vast numbers
of them.

Casady

Typically, the problem you describe is the result of man encroaching on
the natural habit of woodland critters and decimating it. So, we take
away the land on which critters live, eat, and breathe, and then we
shoot them.

thumper May 4th 12 03:55 AM

For animal lovers...

On 5/3/2012 5:32 PM, X ` Man wrote:
On 5/3/12 8:25 PM, Richard Casady wrote:

I live just outside Des Moines, and the local deer are so numerous as
to be catagorized as vermin. I lost an auto to one. They cross my lawn
on a daily basis. It would be great if hunters would kill vast numbers
of them.

Typically, the problem you describe is the result of man encroaching on
the natural habit of woodland critters and decimating it. So, we take
away the land on which critters live, eat, and breathe, and then we
shoot them.

Elimination of their natural predators (wolves, cougars, etc.) is also
significant. They tend to require more area and incur the wrath of
farmers/ranchers.

Richard Casady May 4th 12 05:10 AM

For animal lovers...

On Thu, 03 May 2012 19:55:52 -0700, thumper wrote:

On 5/3/2012 5:32 PM, X ` Man wrote:
On 5/3/12 8:25 PM, Richard Casady wrote:

I live just outside Des Moines, and the local deer are so numerous as
to be catagorized as vermin. I lost an auto to one. They cross my lawn
on a daily basis. It would be great if hunters would kill vast numbers
of them.

Typically, the problem you describe is the result of man encroaching on
the natural habit of woodland critters and decimating it. So, we take
away the land on which critters live, eat, and breathe, and then we
shoot them.

Elimination of their natural predators (wolves, cougars, etc.) is also
significant. They tend to require more area and incur the wrath of
farmers/ranchers.

They are found in the heart of Des Moines. Seen on the Capitol
grounds.

Casady

X ` Man May 4th 12 11:36 AM

For animal lovers...

On 5/4/12 1:02 AM, wrote:

wrote:

I live just outside Des Moines, and the local deer are so numerous as
to be catagorized as vermin. I lost an auto to one. They cross my lawn
on a daily basis. It would be great if hunters would kill vast numbers
of them.

Casady

Typically, the problem you describe is the result of man encroaching on
the natural habit of woodland critters and decimating it. So, we take
away the land on which critters live, eat, and breathe, and then we
shoot them.

There are significantly more deer in the suburbs than there ever have
been but the residents would not tolerate repopulating the predators
necessary for natural control. It turns out white tail deer are very
well adapted to suburban living. I have even seen them on the
Whitehurst Freeway in downtown DC.
Can you imagine the howl people would put up if we dumped a couple
dozen cougars around the beltway and in Rock Creek Park?
I doubt they would even tolerate that down in rural Calvert County.

(yet they did it near where I live here in SW Florida)

A few thousand cougars running loose in Florida could only improve the
quality of life for everyone in that state.

BAR[_2_] May 4th 12 01:19 PM

For animal lovers...

In article ,
says...

wrote:

[...]

The fox take care of the rodent population, cats are rodents in my book.

X ` Man[_3_] May 4th 12 01:31 PM

For animal lovers...

On 5/4/12 8:19 AM, BAR wrote:
cats are rodents in my book.

Well, of course...you joined the marines instead of getting an
edu-ma-ka-shun.

iBoaterer[_2_] May 4th 12 02:36 PM

For animal lovers...

In article ,
says...

wrote:

...and those who find hunters despicable.

http://dribbleglass.com/images/billboards/animals.jpg

More species are saved by hunters than all the PETA and "save the
animals" kooks combined.

Hunters put their money where their mouth is and they actually do
things to preserve habitat and encourage species survival. They don't
just whine about it.

BTW I don't hunt.

Yeah, killing animals saves them. Got it!

iBoaterer[_2_] May 4th 12 02:39 PM

For animal lovers...

In article , says...

wrote:

...and those who find hunters despicable.

http://dribbleglass.com/images/billboards/animals.jpg

There's a place in gawds kingdom for all animals; usually right next
to my mashed potatoes.

Still folks out there that would rather see the things slowly starve to
death...

Makes you wonder how any animal species ever survived without man
killing them in mass.

Oscar May 4th 12 02:54 PM

For animal lovers...

On 5/4/2012 8:19 AM, BAR wrote:
In ,
says...

wrote:

[...]

This is the Gods honest truth.
I watched a fox chase a cat and tree him/her, in my back yard.
After a period of time, 15-30 minutes as I recall, with the fox still
patiently waiting at the base of the tree, the cat climbed down the
tree, swatted the fox in the nose, and ran off. The bewildered fox
didn't give chase.

Oscar May 4th 12 02:56 PM

For animal lovers...

On 5/4/2012 8:31 AM, X ` Man wrote:
On 5/4/12 8:19 AM, BAR wrote:
cats are rodents in my book.

Well, of course...you joined the marines instead of getting an
edu-ma-ka-shun.

Why you dirty rat!

JustWait[_2_] May 4th 12 03:26 PM

For animal lovers...

On 5/4/2012 9:36 AM, iBoaterer wrote:
In ,
says...

wrote:

...and those who find hunters despicable.

http://dribbleglass.com/images/billboards/animals.jpg

More species are saved by hunters than all the PETA and "save the
animals" kooks combined.

Hunters put their money where their mouth is and they actually do
things to preserve habitat and encourage species survival. They don't
just whine about it.

BTW I don't hunt.

Yeah, killing animals saves them. Got it!

Finally...

iBoaterer[_2_] May 4th 12 04:42 PM

For animal lovers...

In article , says...

wrote:

...and those who find hunters despicable.

http://dribbleglass.com/images/billboards/animals.jpg

More species are saved by hunters than all the PETA and "save the
animals" kooks combined.

Hunters put their money where their mouth is and they actually do
things to preserve habitat and encourage species survival. They don't
just whine about it.

BTW I don't hunt.

Yeah, killing animals saves them. Got it!

Finally...

Well it figures that you'd think that killing an animal is saving it.

JustWait[_2_] May 4th 12 04:50 PM

For animal lovers...

In , says...

wrote:

...and those who find hunters despicable.

http://dribbleglass.com/images/billboards/animals.jpg

More species are saved by hunters than all the PETA and "save the
animals" kooks combined.

Hunters put their money where their mouth is and they actually do
things to preserve habitat and encourage species survival. They don't
just whine about it.

BTW I don't hunt.

Yeah, killing animals saves them. Got it!

Finally...

Well it figures that you'd think that killing an animal is saving it.

Figures you would bring it down to the single animal level to make a
point, when the conversation is about hunting in general... Frekin'
engineers... snicker

X ` Man[_3_] May 4th 12 05:01 PM

For animal lovers...

wrote:

...and those who find hunters despicable.

http://dribbleglass.com/images/billboards/animals.jpg

More species are saved by hunters than all the PETA and "save the
animals" kooks combined.

Hunters put their money where their mouth is and they actually do
things to preserve habitat and encourage species survival. They don't
just whine about it.

BTW I don't hunt.

Yeah, killing animals saves them. Got it!

Finally...

Well it figures that you'd think that killing an animal is saving it.

Figures you would bring it down to the single animal level to make a
point, when the conversation is about hunting in general... Frekin'
engineers... snicker

It takes a really brave man to shoot a deer. It's so...sporting.

iBoaterer[_2_] May 4th 12 05:06 PM

For animal lovers...

In article , says...

wrote:

...and those who find hunters despicable.

http://dribbleglass.com/images/billboards/animals.jpg

More species are saved by hunters than all the PETA and "save the
animals" kooks combined.

Hunters put their money where their mouth is and they actually do
things to preserve habitat and encourage species survival. They don't
just whine about it.

BTW I don't hunt.

Yeah, killing animals saves them. Got it!

Finally...

Well it figures that you'd think that killing an animal is saving it.

Figures you would bring it down to the single animal level to make a
point, when the conversation is about hunting in general... Frekin'
engineers... snicker

What engineers came up with the notion that hunting in general is a good
thing? But, it DOES come down to the single animal. It's that simple. I
guess, that because of overpopulation of humans on the earth, then you
should be okay with killing off people, abortion, etc. right?

X ` Man[_3_] May 4th 12 05:19 PM

For animal lovers...

On 5/4/12 12:13 PM, wrote:
On Fri, 04 May 2012 06:36:50 -0400, X `
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

There are about 120-150 here.

We should do the same in Maryland and DC.

SW Florida also has a pretty healthy black bear population. They had
one living in downtown Ft Myers for several weeks and FWS said they
couldn't find it, in spite of cell phone videos showing up on the
evening news every couple days. Maybe we should plant a few dozen of
them in Rock Creek park too. The dumpsters down town would make them
pretty fat. It would give the rats and raccoons some competition.

No argument from me, though we already have bears in Maryland. In fact,
for a long time I've thought we had a few of them in the woods around
here. There have been reports from time to time of cougars in the state.

X ` Man[_3_] May 4th 12 05:21 PM

For animal lovers...

On 5/4/12 12:16 PM, wrote:
On Fri, 4 May 2012 09:36:10 -0400, wrote:

In ,
says...

wrote:

...and those who find hunters despicable.

http://dribbleglass.com/images/billboards/animals.jpg

More species are saved by hunters than all the PETA and "save the
animals" kooks combined.

Hunters put their money where their mouth is and they actually do
things to preserve habitat and encourage species survival. They don't
just whine about it.

BTW I don't hunt.

Yeah, killing animals saves them. Got it!

Yes it does. The species is managed to insure there are plenty of them
to shoot. Hunters do a lot more than the animal lobby to actually
support the habitat.

Is Fox News managing the species of crazy conservatives to ensure there
are plenty of them to shoot?

Califbill May 4th 12 05:36 PM

For animal lovers...

m...

wrote:

[...]

This is more the result of man killing the predators and then growing great
food crops for the deer. A lot more deer than the natural world would
support.

X ` Man[_3_] May 4th 12 05:39 PM

For animal lovers...

On 5/4/12 12:25 PM, wrote:
On Fri, 4 May 2012 11:42:28 -0400, wrote:

In ,
says...

wrote:

...and those who find hunters despicable.

http://dribbleglass.com/images/billboards/animals.jpg

More species are saved by hunters than all the PETA and "save the
animals" kooks combined.

Hunters put their money where their mouth is and they actually do
things to preserve habitat and encourage species survival. They don't
just whine about it.

BTW I don't hunt.

Yeah, killing animals saves them. Got it!

Finally...

Well it figures that you'd think that killing an animal is saving it.

I do think it is funny that these avid fish hunters draw the line at
killing a deer or a rabbit.
Maybe if we rigged an ear of corn with big treble hooks. snagged the
deer, dragged the deer up to the truck with a winch, kicking and
bleeding. Then put him, live, in an air tight box to slowly suffocate
it would be OK.

I won't even talk about what fishermen do to the bait. That is down
right medieval.

I have some issues with "sport hunters," the most significant probably
being their referencing what they do as "sport," implying there is
something "sporting" about shooting animals with a firearm.

I don't do much fishing anymore. I do, however, think it is more
sporting than hunting. There's nothing sporting about seeing an elk or a
moose a few hundred yards away and then shooting it with a high powered
rifle and scope.

X ` Man[_3_] May 4th 12 06:07 PM

For animal lovers...

On 5/4/12 12:54 PM, wrote:

The best example is the hunting ranches in Texas that hold the largest
populations of endangered African animals on the planet. Without the
incentive of allowing someone to shoot one now and then for outrageous
amounts of money, they would simply go extinct.
These ranchers ensure that there is always a healthy breeding
population and suitable habitat for them. That is a lot more than the
Africans are doing.
I find it strange that the animal rights people would rather see an
entire species go extinct than to allow them to be managed for profit.

What you are calling "hunting ranches" in Texas have nothing to do with
hunting. They're shooting fish in a barrel ranches, except they are not
shooting fish.

iBoaterer[_2_] May 4th 12 06:08 PM

For animal lovers...

In article ,
says...

On Fri, 4 May 2012 11:42:28 -0400, iBoaterer wrote:

In article ,
says...

wrote:

...and those who find hunters despicable.

http://dribbleglass.com/images/billboards/animals.jpg

More species are saved by hunters than all the PETA and "save the
animals" kooks combined.

Hunters put their money where their mouth is and they actually do
things to preserve habitat and encourage species survival. They don't
just whine about it.

BTW I don't hunt.

Yeah, killing animals saves them. Got it!

Finally...

Well it figures that you'd think that killing an animal is saving it.

I do think it is funny that these avid fish hunters draw the line at
killing a deer or a rabbit.

Since I wrote the above, I take it you are talking about me. I catch and
release.

Maybe if we rigged an ear of corn with big treble hooks. snagged the
deer, dragged the deer up to the truck with a winch, kicking and
bleeding. Then put him, live, in an air tight box to slowly suffocate
it would be OK.

I catch and release.

I won't even talk about what fishermen do to the bait. That is down
right medieval.

I know! Those rubber worms and Rapalas that I use are SO abused.....

iBoaterer[_2_] May 4th 12 06:09 PM

For animal lovers...

wrote:

[...]

Also, I don't mind hunting for food if you need food.

iBoaterer[_2_] May 4th 12 06:10 PM

For animal lovers...

In article ,
says...

On Fri, 4 May 2012 12:06:26 -0400, iBoaterer wrote:

In article ,
says...

wrote:

[...]

We do it all the time. It is called war.

The US has killed about a million brown people, either directly or by
proxy, since 1991(Iraq, Afghanistan and any number of smaller little
skirmishes).

So we should be able to go take a hunter's safety course, pay a license
fee and start killing people for sport?

X ` Man[_3_] May 4th 12 06:31 PM

For animal lovers...

On 5/4/12 1:09 PM, wrote:
On Fri, 04 May 2012 12:39:56 -0400, X ` Man
wrote:

On 5/4/12 12:25 PM,
wrote:

[...]

How is that any less "sporting" than sitting in the lounge of your
sport fish, sipping a cold drink, waiting for a tuna to hit one of the
ballyhoo you are trolling?
The mate probably rigged the bait and struck the fish. All you did was
reel it in.

Well, it is less sporting because fishing for big pelagics is a lot more
dangerous than shooting a moose or an elk, but I'm not a fan of that
sort of "hunting," either.

iBoaterer[_2_] May 4th 12 06:50 PM

For animal lovers...

In article ,
says...

On Fri, 4 May 2012 12:06:26 -0400, iBoaterer wrote:

In article ,
says...

Well it figures that you'd think that killing an animal is saving it.

Figures you would bring it down to the single animal level to make a
point, when the conversation is about hunting in general... Frekin'
engineers... snicker

What engineers came up with the notion that hunting in general is a good
thing? But, it DOES come down to the single animal. It's that simple. I
guess, that because of overpopulation of humans on the earth, then you
should be okay with killing off people, abortion, etc. right?

Without the money hunters pump into the system you might actually come
down to that single animal, starving to death and bringing on
extinction.
The animal lovers barely collect enough money to support their own
bureaucracy and put virtually nothing into conservation efforts.

The best example is the hunting ranches in Texas that hold the largest
populations of endangered African animals on the planet. Without the
incentive of allowing someone to shoot one now and then for outrageous
amounts of money, they would simply go extinct.
These ranchers ensure that there is always a healthy breeding
population and suitable habitat for them. That is a lot more than the
Africans are doing.
I find it strange that the animal rights people would rather see an
entire species go extinct than to allow them to be managed for profit.
I wonder what our grand kids would say about that after the animals
are gone forever.

I know that in the imaginary utopia you lefties live in, animal lovers
would buy and maintain millions of acres of pristine habitat for the
animals to live in peace but the fact is, the animal lovers want
someone else to pay for that.
Those people are hunters.
They do it via a surcharge on all hunting equipment, license fees,
private club dues and direct payments to land owners for the right to
hunt there.

Well, kill 'em all then.

X ` Man[_3_] May 4th 12 08:17 PM

For animal lovers...

On 5/4/12 2:52 PM, wrote:
On Fri, 04 May 2012 13:31:00 -0400, X ` Man
wrote:

On 5/4/12 1:09 PM,
wrote:
On Fri, 04 May 2012 12:39:56 -0400, X ` Man

I don't do much fishing anymore. I do, however, think it is more
sporting than hunting. There's nothing sporting about seeing an elk or a
moose a few hundred yards away and then shooting it with a high powered
rifle and scope.

How is that any less "sporting" than sitting in the lounge of your
sport fish, sipping a cold drink, waiting for a tuna to hit one of the
ballyhoo you are trolling?
The mate probably rigged the bait and struck the fish. All you did was
reel it in.

Well, it is less sporting because fishing for big pelagics is a lot more
dangerous than shooting a moose or an elk, but I'm not a fan of that
sort of "hunting," either.

It is basically the same as the canned hunt you are talking about on a
game ranch and I am not sure where the danger is ... unless the boat
sinks.

I wasn't making a comparison to a canned hunt but to "regular" hunting,
and if you've never been aboard a boat targeting 500-pound fish, you
have no idea of the dangers involved...that have nothing to do with the
boat sinking.

X ` Man May 4th 12 08:24 PM

For animal lovers...

On 5/4/12 2:54 PM, wrote:
On Fri, 4 May 2012 13:50:50 -0400, wrote:

In ,
says...

On Fri, 4 May 2012 12:06:26 -0400, wrote:

In ,
says...

[...]

You will if you shut down the hunting ranches where these exotics are
raised. It is certain that the Africans are not going to save them.

I suppose to pseudo machomen, "canned" hunting is real.

Oscar May 4th 12 08:43 PM

For animal lovers...

wrote:

...and those who find hunters despicable.

http://dribbleglass.com/images/billboards/animals.jpg

More species are saved by hunters than all the PETA and "save the
animals" kooks combined.

Hunters put their money where their mouth is and they actually do
things to preserve habitat and encourage species survival. They don't
just whine about it.

BTW I don't hunt.

Yeah, killing animals saves them. Got it!

Finally...

Well it figures that you'd think that killing an animal is saving it.

Figures you would bring it down to the single animal level to make a
point, when the conversation is about hunting in general... Frekin'
engineers... snicker

It takes a really brave man to shoot a deer. It's so...sporting.

I remember when Harriet was bragging about catching fish, ripping their
face apart and then throwing them back to be eaten by a larger fish.
Quite the sportsman, that Krause dude.

Oscar May 4th 12 08:46 PM

For animal lovers...

wrote:

[...]

How did your pea-brain come to that conclusion?

X ` Man[_3_] May 4th 12 08:49 PM

For animal lovers...

On 5/4/12 3:44 PM, wrote:
On Fri, 04 May 2012 15:24:53 -0400, X `
wrote:

On 5/4/12 2:54 PM,
wrote:
[...]

I am not a fan of canned hunts but I am more opposed to extinction.

In fact most of these exotic hunts do not guarantee that the hunter
actually gets anything.

You mean, they let the animals out of their pens for the "hunt"?
:)