Default What can you do with a German lathe?

You could make a nice little engine for your model boat:

http://www.wimp.com/tiniestengine/

Unreal.

Enjoy. I sure did.

On 11/26/11 7:57 AM, John H wrote:
You could make a nice little engine for your model boat:

http://www.wimp.com/tiniestengine/

Unreal.

Enjoy. I sure did.

That is the best post of your life, here or anywhere.
Utterly fantastic.

--
http://flickr.com/gp/hakr/8272ug

On 11/26/2011 7:57 AM, John H wrote:
You could make a nice little engine for your model boat:

http://www.wimp.com/tiniestengine/

Unreal.

Enjoy. I sure did.

I Like ;-)

--
1-20-13 The end of an error
Tim Tim is offline

On Nov 26, 6:57*am, John H wrote:
You could make a nice little engine for your model boat:

http://www.wimp.com/tiniestengine/

Unreal.

Enjoy. I sure did.

Y'know. People who do stuff like that simply astound me. That is
great!

Thanks for sharing that.

On Sat, 26 Nov 2011 07:57:27 -0500, John H
wrote:

You could make a nice little engine for your model boat:

http://www.wimp.com/tiniestengine/

Unreal.

Enjoy. I sure did.

===

Very, very cool.

Lots of questions:

Ignition? Did not see any plugs or wires, assume it must be sort of
a quasi diesel like a model airplane engine.

Lubrication? No sign of a pressurized lube system so assume it must
be done by hand.

It would take the patience and skill of a swiss watch maker to build
something like that. I wonder how many man hours.

It was fascinating to watch the crank shaft being turned using an off
center billet. Incredible precision involved for that and the cam
shafts.

Gene Kearns would appreciate this if he is still lurking under another
name. He'd need to downsize that 20 ft lathe of his by just a bit.

wrote:

[...]

I know where Gene is, I think he has seen it by now... As to the
"ignition", it really looks to me like it is run on compressed air, no
ignition system, no carb, no plugs, no battery, no fuel rails..... One
plastic line coming in, I assume it's pressurized air

wrote:

[...]

Deisel?

--
1-20-13 The end of an error

wrote:

You could make a nice little engine for your model boat:

http://www.wimp.com/tiniestengine/

Unreal.

Enjoy. I sure did.

===

Very, very cool.

Lots of questions:

Ignition? Did not see any plugs or wires, assume it must be sort of
a quasi diesel like a model airplane engine.

That's what I thought. Couldn't see wires and no spark plugs were shown.

Lubrication? No sign of a pressurized lube system so assume it must
be done by hand.

He lubed some parts as he was assembling, but I saw nothing else either. I thought I saw something
spattering up on the valve springs, but not sure. And, had no idea where it may come from.

It would take the patience and skill of a swiss watch maker to build
something like that. I wonder how many man hours.

Over 1200 hours from what I was told in the email I received.

It was fascinating to watch the crank shaft being turned using an off
center billet. Incredible precision involved for that and the cam
shafts.

I've never seen an off-center billet. Very interesting and educational.

Gene Kearns would appreciate this if he is still lurking under another
name. He'd need to downsize that 20 ft lathe of his by just a bit.

Shoot, anyone who owns German screwdrivers should be impressed also.
Tim Tim is offline

wrote:

[...]

I don't believe it runs. I think it's simply an study of how the guy
"could", and he "did"
Tim Tim is offline

wrote:

[...]

Not really. Because no one was shot.

However, this engine does run!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9zt3SF_Flc

German Frers Nez au vent General 0 September 27th 06 10:54 AM
German Coastguard Dan J.S. General 3 February 1st 06 02:15 PM
German Whitewater? Kinzie Whitewater 1 April 8th 04 12:58 PM
German bombers over NYC! Bobsprit ASA 0 February 27th 04 02:22 AM
german sub sunk in LIS JAXAshby General 0 February 24th 04 11:40 PM